SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EV Vehcile Fire Hazard - why are these still on the road?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EV Vehcile Fire Hazard - why are these still on the road? Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
This is one of those things that just doesn't make sense. I honestly wonder where Ralph Nader is in all of this.

This has to be the first type of vehicle in United States History that can fail so catastrophically and not have the media and government officials rushing to restrict, further regulate, or ban it altogether.

A news story on the dangers of fighting fires with these vehicles

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Far too busy regulating ice vehicles and getting rid of the fossil fuels. Batteries are the answer to saving the earth and humanity. Don'cha ya know that? Only if the heavy metals needed are mined in some third world country where we can't see it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not ICE car fires happen way more often than EV fires. The issue is ICE fires are usually older cars with deferred maintenance.

The problem with EV fires is most of them happen when charging which for many would mean you lose your house as well.

Posts: 3926 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That video about charging cars exploding, the man was fine until that rebounding price of steel leveled him.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But, those fire prone EV vehicles are saving the planet, ya' know.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The reason you don't see the media and government calling for restrictions, or even saying "Hey, let's take a step back and think about this", is because it would be contrary to the agenda and its associated narrative. Just force them on everyone ASAP, and we'll work out the problems later. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Believe it or not ICE car fires happen way more often than EV fires. The issue is ICE fires are usually older cars with deferred maintenance.

The problem with EV fires is most of them happen when charging which for many would mean you lose your house as well.

Show me data & I'll twist it to argue both sides. Fires per mile, fires based on age, etc.
Same coin-flip statistics used to justify any & everything.

You mentioned burning the house down, the other thing is that ICE fires rarely start at the gas tank. You have some time to work the problem. Battery fires move much quicker & since it starts there, you have almost no time to react.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
The reason you don't see the media and government calling for restrictions, or even saying "Hey, let's take a step back and think about this", is because it would be contrary to the agenda and its associated narrative. Just force them on everyone ASAP, and we'll work out the problems later. Roll Eyes
Nailed it ^^^^^

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Same reason we ignore every horrible aspect of these vehicles, to push the agenda.

- No infrastructure in place for charging stations
- No infrastructure in place for power generation
- No resale value
- Not practical for most drivers yet
- Serious hazmat concerns on old batteries
- Replacement cost of batteries
- Horrific environmental mining practices for the raw materials
- Exploitation of miners
- Chinese take over of raw materials
- Even more dependence on chips we cant get enough of now
- How do you have basic emergency services with an electric fleet in major weather crisis
- etc
- etc

But keep pushing them... they are green!!!!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
EV battery fires are much more difficult to extinguish. As for there being more fires in ICE cars, I'd like to see a percentage--there are relatively few EV cars compared to ICE.

Back to the OQ: EV cars are the solution to Global Warming (they say), which is the main objective of the current Administration.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:

Electric vehicles fires are far more intense and depending upon where the vehicle is when it starts spreads extremely rapidly to anything nearby. In addition they are very hard to extinguish and the burn off is extremely toxic. These are Chinese buses and these guys are supposedly leading the technology and manufacture all the batteries.

This has nothing to do with green and everything to do with limiting movement of the populace.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I would think insurance companies would see this and hit the brakes on covering EVs since they become a total loss. Also, damage to roads from the fire and those fires are stoked with pollutants. Who needs all that in the atmosphere?

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Actually ICE cars far exceed EV cars catching fire. It's about 1500 per 100,00 cars vs 25 per 100,000 electric vehicles per year. My brother had a 4 month old Ford Ranger that caught fire parked next to his garage and nearly burned his house completely down with his wife a d sleeping children inside. It turned out to not be that unusual for his model of truck and Ford paid to rebuild his house and gave him an F150 to replace his Ranger.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
YOu can put an ICE vehicle fire out with the conventional equipment on any firetruck.

You CANNOT put out EV battery fires with conventional firetruck equipment, water doesn't do diddly.

Spout all the ICE number you want but a fire extinguisher is about all you need for a fire in one.

Posts: 23493 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
YOu can put an ICE vehicle fire out with the conventional equipment on any firetruck.

You CANNOT put out EV battery fires with conventional firetruck equipment, water doesn't do diddly.

Spout all the ICE number you want but a fire extinguisher is about all you need for a fire in one.

Actually if you add water to an EV fire you make it much much worse. I suspect all those explosions in the video posted were caused by the water in the cooling system for the battery. Heat causes a jet of water to spurt out and as soon as it hits hot lithium you get another big boom.

I'll also point out those numbers for EV fires are way under reported. Because it's absolutely certain they don't include the numbers for all the hoverboard fires and electric scooters. Jeepers, they don't allow these batteries to be transported on commercial aircraft and now there is a push on to use electric "turbines" to power commercial aircraft.

IMO this will not end well and when it hits the fans I sincerely hope the public is pissed off enough to put people responsible for this impetus in Prison for Treason. Maybe actually hang some of the ringleaders for Treason.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5652 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:

Show me data & I'll twist it to argue both sides. Fires per mile, fires based on age, etc.
Same coin-flip statistics used to justify any & everything.

You mentioned burning the house down, the other thing is that ICE fires rarely start at the gas tank. You have some time to work the problem. Battery fires move much quicker & since it starts there, you have almost no time to react.

Not to mention a regular A B C extinguisher won't work on a lithium battery fire. Only SOME D's will. They need to be Lith-X. Doubt many folks have on of those handy. And a lot of lithium batteries put off hydrogen cyanide gas as a product of combustion. So you also need an SCBA to deal with it.

And I have heard some say that ICE vehicle fires are more common. But EV's are relatively new to the scene. A lot of ICE vehicle fires involve older vehicles that have been shade treed. Wait until we have a significant population of 30 year old EV's and people are posting "hacks" to "extend the battery life".

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
E bikes have had well documented issues with people skimping on chargers and cheap batteries or using improper quick chargers that overheat the battery.

I wonder how much of an issue the different types of chargers are with regards to the EV fires?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I don't own an EV vehicle and don't advocate for them in any form or fashion, I was just stating that ICE vehicles have their issues too. My brother and his family heard a loud boom and barely made it out of the house. No extinguisher of any kind would have made a difference.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are Chinese buses and these guys are supposedly leading the technology and manufacture all the batteries.
I'm sure China's TOP.MEN. are manufacturing these batteries to the highest quality standards. They're known for that, right? Roll Eyes

Posts: 9054 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post