SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 2024
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 2024 Login/Join 
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted
I know some of our members are fans of this race. The actual race starts at 6 am mountain time on Sunday, June 23rd. Not sure if they will be broadcasting anything on Saturday as well, when all the practice is going on.

So I figured I would put the link here for everyone, in case they wanted to watch or listen.

One of these years, I would like to get my '69 Datsun 510 fixed up, and try to make it to the top Eek.

Enjoy!

https://ppihc.org/2024-ppihc-race-day-live-coverage/

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4954 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
One of the Ford entries:

https://www.netcarshow.com/for..._supertruck_concept/

Also, a 510 you say? My dad had one just before I was born, don't recall the year, but it was a looker. A nice red on a set of gold BBS wheels.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Yes, a Datsun 510. I have had it for over 20 years, and done nothing to it Frown. It is always on the back burner. Probably should build a garage first, before I start working on it. I wanted to set it up SCCA style, with big fenders. Not sure if I will run the original 1600 engine, or try to shoehorn a twin turbo 300z V6 in it..... Eek. Here is a pic of her sitting on the prairie:

And that F150 looks awesome!

Mike

Posts: 4954 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Always liked those. My dad's was in rough shape [but no rust I think] when he bought it & was show-worthy when he was done.
And it got driven pretty hard, but don't think he ever raced it. He did get some track time in a couple semi-prepped B210s though.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16014 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Buddy in college had on of the Datsun two doors, think it was white, and it was the base stripper model, we drove that thing all over while in school.

The Ford Pickup is being touted as potentially the fastest vehicle up the hill, if it works, and all goes to plan.

Randy Probst will be driving a Hyundai E Whatsit up the hill.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I took a 100 HP Honda Civic Wagon to the top, I was amazed how smooth the idle was. I romped on it in first in the parking lot and it felt like it had about 30 horsepower. It was funny to watch the temp gauge on the way down, it dropped way below normal running temperature. I got sent to time out by the ranger who checks brake temp. I was surprised they were hot enough for a pause since I used low gears to brake. They were warm and the ranger was right.

Posts: 7643 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Race is about to get underway! Cool

Mike

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Looks like a beautiful day.

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the embed SigSentry!

Yes, is gorgeous weather today, currently 76°, supposed to hit 92° later in the day. Light clouds, and no precip expected.

Mike

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
One of the Ford entries:

https://www.netcarshow.com/for..._supertruck_concept/

This truck should do amazing. An electric vehicle is perfect for this race. It’s not a long race and with the battery pack very low the center of gravity will help cornering. Instant torque will really help coming off all the tight corners and where the climbing elevation hurts the ICE vehicles going up the EV will be just as strong near the top.

Should be pretty interesting.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

French racing driver Romain Dumas claimed his fifth overall win in the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb on Sunday by piloting the wild Ford F-150 Lighting SuperTruck to the finish line in a time of 8:53.533.

The SuperTruck version of Ford's F-150 Lightning electric pickup is a one-off demonstrator that for the Pikes Peak run was tuned to deliver 1,600 hp and fitted with an aerodynamics package capable of delivering more than 6,000 pounds of downforce.

Dumas was entered in the Open Class and still managed to take home the win despite the truck coming to a stop shortly after the start. Dumas completely reset the vehicle and was able to finish, though his final result was around 26 seconds slower than his qualifying time.

The second and third fastest on the day were Christian Merli and Dani Sordo, with respective times of 9:04.454 in the Unlimited Class and 9:30.852 in the Exhibition class. The record for Pikes Peak still stands at 7:57.148, set in 2018 by Dumas behind the wheel of Volkswagen's ID.R demonstrator.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post