SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If You’re Going to Fall Down, This Is the Right Way
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If You’re Going to Fall Down, This Is the Right Way Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I fell down a couple of days ago . I let my son's dogs out the door and was walking down some steps . The Great Dane that was in front of me did a 180 and I bumped into her . Left foot missed the stair and down I went . Twisted my left ankle and landed on my left elbow . Knocked a bunch of hide off of it . Nothing broken . Just sore .

Posts: 4070 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

I see lots of fall related injuries in my orthopedic practice many of which result in significant injury, especially broken hips in the 70+ age bracket.
Here's my right hip:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I fell a couple years while out shoveling the driveway and slipping on some ice under the snow. I instinctively fell in a way to protect myself and my down jacket helped cushion the fall. I just got up and did a lot of swearing LOL but now I always keep my shovel in hand until I am ready to go back into garage to use as an aid to keep from falling from ice again. If I have to go out shopping in inclement winter weather I park near where I can use a shopping cart to go into the store and back out to my car because very had to tell where that ice will attack again.

As we age our balance gets worse though exercises and activity can help improve that a lot. It's a good idea to test one's self by standing on one foot and see how long you can hold that. Standing on one foot (best to start on non carpeted floor) can also be used as an exercise to improve balance too among others.

https://www.healthline.com/hea...-your-overall-health

An exerpt.

“Typically, a person in their 50s should be able to balance on one leg for around 40 seconds. Someone in their 60s is looking at 20 seconds, and someone in their 70s is around 10 seconds,” Lubetzky continued. “Static balance is a multidimensional issue and there are numerous causes, such as neurological disease, orthopedic issues, vision, spatial issues, a sedentary lifestyle, reaction time, cognition, and other health problems. If it is difficult to balance on one leg, you should think about your overall health and fitness.”

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
"Tuck and roll" was what we were taught in jump school at Ft. Benning. A problem in older adult life is gravity seems to have beefed up as hitting the ground seems to happen faster than it was in my younger days.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1570 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

I see lots of fall related injuries in my orthopedic practice many of which result in significant injury, especially broken hips in the 70+ age bracket.
Here's my right hip:

This is my bread and butter. Hip nails are the most common surgery we do when we are “ on call” for orthopedic trauma

Posts: 3299 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of rubberized cleated pull overs that fit over your shoes on Amazon. They take less than a minute to put them on. Saved my butt more than once.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As we age our balance gets worse though exercises and activity can help improve that a lot. It's a good idea to test one's self by standing on one foot and see how long you can hold that. Standing on one foot (best to start on non carpeted floor) can also be used as an exercise to improve balance too among others.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very true. I have been in physical therapy for the past six months to treat problems with balance. Progress is slow but it definitely helps

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
“Typically, a person in their 50s should be able to balance on one leg for around 40 seconds. Someone in their 60s is looking at 20 seconds, and someone in their 70s is around 10 seconds,”
One of the exercises I do is balance on this Isokinetics Inc. Brand Deluxe Balance Board for sixty seconds on each leg.

Another thing that's really good for balance training is forward-walking lunges. They're also good for knee and hip mobility.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
I fell a couple years while out shoveling the driveway and slipping on some ice under the snow. I instinctively fell in a way to protect myself and my down jacket helped cushion the fall. I just got up and did a lot of swearing LOL but now I always keep my shovel in hand until I am ready to go back into garage to use as an aid to keep from falling from ice again. If I have to go out shopping in inclement winter weather I park near where I can use a shopping cart to go into the store and back out to my car because very had to tell where that ice will attack again.

An exerpt.

“Typically, a person in their 50s should be able to balance on one leg for around 40 seconds. Someone in their 60s is looking at 20 seconds, and someone in their 70s is around 10 seconds,” Lubetzky continued. “Static balance is a multidimensional issue and there are numerous causes, such as neurological disease, orthopedic issues, vision, spatial issues, a sedentary lifestyle, reaction time, cognition, and other health problems. If it is difficult to balance on one leg, you should think about your overall health and fitness.”

Unfortunately, falling on ice, especially when you don't even know it's there makes it nearly impossible to employ any countermeasures to mitigate the fall...Generally you're on the ground or seemingly horizontal just prior to impact before your brain even realizes you're falling!

Regarding balance, every single time I get out of the shower, I'm balancing on one foot while thoroughly drying the other (including between the toes!) prior to putting a foot down on the bath mat. This is in part due my OCD not wanting to get the bath mat wet (w/ footprints especially!), but it also yields the benefit of exercising good muscle control and having excellent balance!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8956 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Unfortunately, falling on ice, especially when you don't even know it's there makes it nearly impossible to employ any countermeasures to mitigate the fall...Generally you're on the ground or seemingly horizontal just prior to impact before your brain even realizes you're falling!
This is one reason strength training and stretching/mobility exercises are so important--particularly as we age.

Strength training builds muscle mass and bone mineral density. Both mitigate against injury as a result of a fall. Flexibility/mobility exercises mitigate against fall injury because it makes your body bendy--able to give gracefully, rather than be stiff and breaky.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm 79 and probably fall once a year. I'm active hike a bit, kinda expect it. Slipped on black ice a couple of years ago, tripped over a rock while backing up to take a photo was another. So far nothing broken, no injuries at all. I try to be extra careful but I'm not curtailing activities that are already being limited by aging.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fell last April on concrete sidewalk. Was anemic and could not move either leg. Knew it was coming so I put my right hand out to break the fall. Mildly hurt the wrist but forehead, right eye socket and nose did not think much of it. Was one block from a hospital so they took care of me. Got rid of the anemia and I am all right but my balance has been declining for a long while so I am usually careful about that.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very true. I have been in physical therapy for the past six months to treat problems with balance. Progress is slow but it definitely helps

Yikes! Best of luck getting that resolved to your satisfaction and it sounds like you are getting there but yeah it can take a while regardless of the You Tuber's with their one week program fixes.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

An exerpt.

Regarding balance, every single time I get out of the shower, I'm balancing on one foot while thoroughly drying the other (including between the toes!) prior to putting a foot down on the bath mat. This is in part due my OCD not wanting to get the bath mat wet (w/ footprints especially!), but it also yields the benefit of exercising good muscle control and having excellent balance!

Good for you!

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
“Typically, a person in their 50s should be able to balance on one leg for around 40 seconds. Someone in their 60s is looking at 20 seconds, and someone in their 70s is around 10 seconds,”
One of the exercises I do is balance on this Isokinetics Inc. Brand Deluxe Balance Board for sixty seconds on each leg.

Another thing that's really good for balance training is forward-walking lunges. They're also good for knee and hip mobility.

We have a balance board too but have never tried that with one leg yet. I train with split squats which is very similar. First couple months I needed TRX cable to keep my balance to do them but now doing very well without them. Also helps to train gluteus medius with exercises like banded clam shells or side walks with band just above ankles. I do intense training with barbell hip thrusts but they don't do much for the gluteus medius while the banded side walks set them on fire.