SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage door safety sensors: do they go bad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage door safety sensors: do they go bad? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Over the last year or so my garage door opener/closer has grown increasingly persnickety to the point where it no longer closes when the sun is out and shining brightly. Instead, it will behave as if something is blocking the pathway of the sensors.

But they are clean and aligned with a good connection because I NEVER have trouble when it is dark, overcast, or relatively early before the sun really gets high.

But if it is anytime between late morning and before dusk, it will not close.

Do I just need to replace the sensors?

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue - cleaned, checked alignment - no joy. Picked up replacements at the hardware store, installed in 5 minutes and was back in operation.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Yes I had have had to replace the set 2 times over the years. Alignment issues by bumping one was more of an issue versus a bad unit, however.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Yes, the sensors will go bad, but they also get dirty and need to be cleaned every once in awhile. I lived in the Central Valley for many years and know how bad the dust and dirt can get.

My mom's house has a south-facing garage and has this problem in the winter when the sun angle begins to hit the eye. After a few years of having somebody stand outside to shade the eye during closing, I finally rigged up a short toilet paper roll that looks like a rifle scope sun shade. No problems since.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Receiving sensor might be “blinded” by the sun. Try switching them.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
1) try cleaning
2) build a sun shade, found this:
"Place a piece of cardboard, like a toilet paper roll, around the sensor to shade the eye. You could also use PVC pipe to do this."

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I modified some steel junction boxes in my last home to shield the sensors. Kids kept clipping them with bike tires, balls, toys, etc.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Yes, they can die. Replaced ours a couple years ago.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Receiving sensor might be “blinded” by the sun. Try switching them.

Try this. I had the same problem and when you mentioned "when the sun is out and shining brightly."

For me, the issue was the hour or so before sunset the sensor would be blinded. I switched the sensors from one side to the other and it solved the issue right away.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Yes. Happened on my first home even though it was 2.5 years old. No amount of cleaning or blocking sunlight did anything. New sensor immediately corrected.

Had to replace one or two on subsequent homes since then.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Mine have lasted forever, but they are taped together and zip-tied to an opener support. I hate those things.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Mine did have the sun issue a few times, garage faces west now that the tree is 30 years older it's solved.

Do like the TP roll concept, paint it camo black n grey... Sniper Sensors...

Posts: 23450 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
or you can raise them a little higher off the ground. So long as they are not higher than the trunk or hood of your vehicle.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post