SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Extortion 17 06 AUG 2011
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extortion 17 06 AUG 2011 Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted
On this day seven years ago a Chinook helicopter was shot down in Afghanistan. Its call sign was Extortion 17. It carried 17 SEALs, three Operations Support troops, two Explosive Ordnance Disposal, three Air Force Special Operators, five Army Air Crew, eight Afghans and a War Dog named Bart. Tragically, all lives were lost. These were some of the most highly trained and battle-seasoned warriors in the U.S. Military.

Fair winds and following seas.

Posts: 2846 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Amen. I'll just add their names because these heroes deserve to be known to every American.

SGT Alexander J. Bennett
SPC Spencer Duncan
CWO Bryan J. Nichols
CWO David R. Carter
SSG Patrick D. Hamburger
TSgt John W. Brown
SSgt Andrew W. Harvell
TSgt Daniel L. Zerbe
PO1 (SEAL) Darrick C. Benson
CPO (SEAL) Brian R. Bill
PO1 (SEAL) Christopher G. Campbell
PO1 Jared W. Day
PO1 John Douangdara & Navy SEAL Dog “Bart”
CPO (SEAL) John W. Faas
CPO (SEAL) Kevin A. Houston
Lt. Cmdr. (SEAL) Jonas B. Kelsall
MCPO (SEAL) Louis J. Langlais
CPO (SEAL) Matthew D. Mason
CPO (SEAL) Stephen M. Mills
CPO Nicholas H. Null
PO1 (SEAL) Jesse D. Pittman
SCPO (SEAL) Thomas A. Ratzlaff
CPO (SEAL) Robert J. Reeves
CPO (SEAL) Heath M. Robinson
PO2 (SEAL) Nicholas P. Spehar
PO1 Michael J. Strange
PO1 (SEAL) Jon T. Tumilson
PO1 (SEAL) Aaron C. Vaughn
SCPO Kraig M. Vickers
PO1 (SEAL) Jason R. Workman

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Take a moment today and raise a glass to these men.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12407 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder Spunk.

Gone but not forgotten

Posts: 598 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. Gone but not forgotten. God bless all of our troops be they past/ present/ or future. ............ drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May God bless these men and their families.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
God Bless all of them and their families......

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Till Valhalla

Posts: 2452 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just went by John and Bart’s statue a few minutes ago. RIP all of you.

Posts: 4137 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A debt that can never be repaid, god bless

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1131 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
God Bless these Brave Men.

Posts: 2846 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a rough day...RIP

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Always without words…

(Do appreciate the Valhalla reference)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I hear about some of the names on that list from various podcast guests. I get the impression some of them walked on water in their ability, character, etc.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 7029 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I still recall hearing of this event and just standing there, trying to process the loss.

You are not forgotten, gentlemen.

SGT Alexander J. Bennett
SPC Spencer Duncan
CWO Bryan J. Nichols
CWO David R. Carter
SSG Patrick D. Hamburger
TSgt John W. Brown
SSgt Andrew W. Harvell
TSgt Daniel L. Zerbe
PO1 (SEAL) Darrick C. Benson
CPO (SEAL) Brian R. Bill
PO1 (SEAL) Christopher G. Campbell
PO1 Jared W. Day
PO1 John Douangdara & Navy SEAL Dog “Bart”
CPO (SEAL) John W. Faas
CPO (SEAL) Kevin A. Houston
Lt. Cmdr. (SEAL) Jonas B. Kelsall
MCPO (SEAL) Louis J. Langlais
CPO (SEAL) Matthew D. Mason
CPO (SEAL) Stephen M. Mills
CPO Nicholas H. Null
PO1 (SEAL) Jesse D. Pittman
SCPO (SEAL) Thomas A. Ratzlaff
CPO (SEAL) Robert J. Reeves
CPO (SEAL) Heath M. Robinson
PO2 (SEAL) Nicholas P. Spehar
PO1 Michael J. Strange
PO1 (SEAL) Jon T. Tumilson
PO1 (SEAL) Aaron C. Vaughn
SCPO Kraig M. Vickers
PO1 (SEAL) Jason R. Workman

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12407 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This is a pure tribute thread, so I’m resisting the temptation to delve into the changes in ROE that followed, or Congressional testimony, and just say say, God Bless all of you, and I hope each passing day makes it a little bit easier for family and friends left behind.

Posts: 13595 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
This is a pure tribute thread, so I’m resisting the temptation to delve into the changes in ROE that followed, or Congressional testimony, and just say say, God Bless all of you, and I hope each passing day makes it a little bit easier for family and friends left behind.

I think that’s a good choice, but I for one would be very interested to read a separate thread on the topic.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Shawn Ryan is doing a podcast with a bunch of fellow SEALs and DEVGRU guys on this tragedy.

Check it out on YT, Shawn Ryan show.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32050 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A colossal lose of serious talent that left a gap in that team that couldn’t be made up in short order. A few of those operators participated in the Bin Laden raid.

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
ANY tragedy involving our men and women in arms really saddens me. This one was/is just...dunno.

May they rest in peace and may God welcome each one into His kingdom with open arms. Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post