SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much time do Marines spend at sea?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much time do Marines spend at sea? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
An article in The Wall Street Journal piqued my interest. Although the Marine Corps is one of the “sea” services and Marines do serve on ships, it’s not something that’s very obvious from all the various types of coverage in the media, commercials, novels, histories, etc. I assume it varies somewhat by military specialty, but if someone spent a 20 year career in the service in the enlisted ranks, how much time could he expect to spend at sea?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The current Marine Corps does a lot more than just being a maritime/amphibious force, but that's still their bread-and-butter.

It's just that sitting on a naval vessel off the coast of North Korea as a deterrent is way less flashy than kicking in doors on the ground in Afghanistan, so the latter is what has gotten the bulk of the media coverage over the past couple decades.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
[S]o the latter is what has gotten the bulk of the media coverage over the past couple decades.

And the reason for my question. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
if someone spent a 20 year career in the service in the enlisted ranks, how much time could he expect to spend at sea?
No idea, but in four years as a Navy enlisted guy, I spent a grand total of five days "at sea." During the time that I was stationed at NAS Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, my missile squadron supplied target drones for the east coast Top Gun exercises. When the drones exhausted their fuel and splashed down, they were retrieved by a helicopter and / or a rescue boat (converted PT boat).

An E-5 from our missile squadron got to ride along on the PT boat for radio liaison with the helicopter. A pleasant day on the water, out in the morning, back in the afternoon. We drew straws for that duty, I lucked out five times in two years. That was the sum total of my sea time in four years of regular Navy, followed by two more years in the reserves. Other friends of mine did four or six years with zero sea time.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
It varies. My daughter was never deployed and spent zero days "at sea" and was in for four years.

I was in for nine years while we were not at war (late 1991 to early 2001) and did two "West Pac's" during my first five year enlistment. My total boat time during those two deployments was 13.5 months.

My second enlistment saw no MEU deployment and I only went to Africa for 2 weeks to fly reporters around in Entebbe, Uganda when Billy Bob decided to visit. Other than that, I just flew around stateside.

There are guys who serve for 10+ years and never deploy or go on a boat. Some deploy to Afghanistan but go by C-17 and not on a MEU.

It varies.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5412 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my 4 years as a grunt, I had 2 WestPAC deployments, 6 months each in duration. With some additional training ops and the like, I had over a year of sea service deployment time documented on my DD-214.

Posts: 490 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy, was I way, way off...I thought once you joined the NAVY, all you did was sea time.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Boy, was I way, way off...I thought once you joined the NAVY, all you did was sea time.

Depends on your job. Choose your rate. Choose your fate.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:

I was a Regulus missile guy. These could be launched from a land base, or a sea-going platform. I'm not sure just how many of these we had in the fleet, but I'll take a WAG* here and guess that there were more land-based Regulii than there were on ships.

Most of the missile techs who I knew, who were trained for the Regulus, never saw a day of sea duty.
*WAG: Wild Assed Guess

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess i’ve seen too many movies of a ships crew scrubbing, sanding & painting to think of land sailors. Thanks fellas. I’ve got a better picture of reality.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Depends.

Some Marines get assigned sea duty.....serving aboard Navy carriers mostly I think. Their deployment might be a year or more.

Some Marines, like me......served in an infantry unit. I was active duty for 4 years and went on three Med Floats. Those deployments usually lasted about 6 months on average. So, in 4 years....I probably had 18 months of being deployed on a navy ship.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3438 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

...During the time that I was stationed at NAS Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, my missile squadron supplied target drones for the east coast Top Gun exercises...

Slight thread drift: NAS Roosevelt Roads closed 10 or 15 years ago. The locals howled about environmental destruction at the Vieques Island bombing range, so the Navy stopped using the range, thus eliminating any need for the NAS.

I'm not sure what Navy air to ground ranges are on the east coast, maybe they now go to NAS Fallon (NV) for live drops.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
if someone spent a 20 year career in the service in the enlisted ranks, how much time could he expect to spend at sea?
No idea, but in four years as a Navy enlisted guy, I spent a grand total of five days "at sea."

I can beat that... Razz

21 years and 9 months on active duty. 12 days at sea. Big Grin

Has to do with your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty - Navy calls it an "NEC" or Naval Enlisted Code). Mine involved maintaining and repairing electronic equipment MUCH too large to fit on a ship. The DF (Direction Finding) antenna in use at the time was 863 feet in diameter and the low band dipoles were something like 60 feet tall. Little hard to set that up on the fantail of a DE...

Later on, I went to school on a system that accomplished the same mission and was designed and miniaturized specifically for shipboard use. When I started school as an brandy-new E6 the expectation was that I'd go from school to a ship. However, I got "plowed back" as an instructor for 3 years and during that time I made E7/CPO and there weren't any at-sea billets for M-branch Chiefs.

My "sea time" came while stationed at MOTU-10 (Mobile Technical Unit) in Charleston. A battle group was getting underway for a Med Cruise and needed a few last-minute technical issues taken care of. Got on in Charleston, got off via COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) off the America and flew into Sigonella, Italy.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that was a wullenweber (spelling?) antenna array. I was as stationed on Okinawa at the Array at Tori Station.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Choose your rate, choose your fate.

In the CG my rating, gunners mate, had a three year ashore to three year afloat rotation. Other rates differed. I knew YN (yeoman,) who went 20 years w/o going to sea...

I imagine the Marines have a similar way of how it goes, depending on job they could end up aboard ship.

I had five years of sea service for a ten year active duty service. I got out and stayed in the reserves and spent the next eleven years ashore as a reservist....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
quote:
No idea, but in four years as a Navy enlisted guy, I spent a grand total of five days "at sea."
I can beat that... Razz

21 years and 9 months on active duty. 12 days at sea. Big Grin

Has to do with your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty - Navy calls it an "NEC" or Naval Enlisted Code). Mine involved maintaining and repairing electronic equipment MUCH too large to fit on a ship. The DF (Direction Finding) antenna in use at the time was 863 feet in diameter and the low band dipoles were something like 60 feet tall. Little hard to set that up on the fantail of a DE...

Later on, I went to school on a system that accomplished the same mission and was designed and miniaturized specifically for shipboard use. When I started school as an brandy-new E6 the expectation was that I'd go from school to a ship. However, I got "plowed back" as an instructor for 3 years and during that time I made E7/CPO and there weren't any at-sea billets for M-branch Chiefs.

My "sea time" came while stationed at MOTU-10 (Mobile Technical Unit) in Charleston. A battle group was getting underway for a Med Cruise and needed a few last-minute technical issues taken care of. Got on in Charleston, got off via COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) off the America and flew into Sigonella, Italy.
Sounds like you got to sleep on board. My five days "at sea," I sauntered down to the dock after breakfast, clambered on board a boat with a crew that looked like something out of "McHale's Navy," and was back on dry land in time for evening chow.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I was regular Navy for four years - 13 months for boot camp and Navy A and C schools, the rest on ship(s). While on the USS Dale, CG-19 we had two Marines stationed aboard as guards for the Admiral. They were rather bored.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:

USS Dale, CG-19
Terrier missiles, I believe. When I entered the USN C school for missiles, I had a choice of Terrier (surface-to-air) or Regulus (surface-to-surface). I chose Regulus and wound up with four years of shore duty, other than the five days mentioned above.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Depends on how many times they fall off the ship.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Depends on how many times they fall off the ship.

Steven Ray Mosier. October 7th, 1994. Lost at sea in the Persian Gulf. We had the same MOS. I worked the day shift. He worked the night shift.

I don’t have to look up the date. It’s been stuck in my head for almost 25 years.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5412 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post