SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Living it Up in Pecos Texas
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living it Up in Pecos Texas Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
On my way east, stopped here for the night.

Not at all what I expected

Posts: 53209 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 3204 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

Pretty much a dump. We drive through as little as possible. Been taking the highway from Carlsbad past the Guadalupe Mountains Park and through Van Horn (another shithole), to avoid oilfield traffic and catch a scenic vista, one of the best in west Texas.

If you live in that district and you’re unfortunate enough to get jury duty for a trial in Federal Court, the trial is held in Pecos. It’s a hundred miles from our home town of Alpine, so you get the choice of an 3 hour daily commute or staying in an oilfield hotel while you’re impaneled.

They have a pretty nice Federal Courthouse in Alpine, but the judge apparently prefers Pecos for God knows what reason.

The only worthwhile thing we’ve ever found in Pecos is La Norteña Tamale factory. A dozen makes a good lunch for 2 people.

Posts: 26930 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Some of the best barbecue is there in Pecos. Pody’s Barbecue was our only reason to ever stop in Pecos other than for gas.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ Alpine ^^^^^^^^

I really like the Holland Hotel. It has such a comfortable and homey feeling, lots of interesting character about it.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been there. A trip back in time for sure. The location is perfect for low budget Westerns. I am with Arfmel on this one.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Distress because it was close to the highway and I was tired

I will check out The Holland

Posts: 53209 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Distress because it was close to the highway and I was tired

I will check out The Holland

This is a great time to do that, because a train trestle 25 miles away burned down about a week ago, so there’s a good chance you won’t be awakened by train horns blowing all night across at the train station across the street.

Posts: 26930 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That would explain why I saw several trains just sitting on tracks.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a probation officer in Pecos for a few years in the 90's. I visited there a few times when they were there. I honestly can not remember a thing about the place.

Posts: 3389 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Traveled through quite often, I only remember that everything was paved with, well, dirt. Here's my contribution to the thread...

Posts: 1990 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you think Pecos is bad, wait until you see Odessa.

Posts: 1182 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:

On the road to Midland/Odessa 1976(?).
Good times. Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8356 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Miles and miles of . . . miles and miles.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
At least Odessa has a mall.

Posts: 3389 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:

Hey, don't knock West Texas. Odessa was my stopping place a few years ago to dry out in a Motel for two days while riding the Gold Wing in a horrible wind driving storm.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an unreliable car in the early 70s. A girl I know explained that if your car breaks down hope someone will come along. A tow to the nearest shop could be as much as 175 miles. We took another car. The territory of Judge Roy Bean if I remember correctly.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

On the road to Midland/Odessa 1976(?).
Good times. Roll Eyes

you took this last week right?

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Odessa ain’t much, but at 150 miles, it’s the nearest “big city”, where people from Alpine go to buy groceries at HEB, or get hauled to in an ambulance if they have anything wrong with them that can’t be fixed at the jerkwater hospital in Alpine. Anything more than stitches or a plaster cast.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Made it to El Paso.