SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alexander the Great hopes dashed as massive black coffin in Alexandria turns out to contain mummified family swimming in red liquid
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alexander the Great hopes dashed as massive black coffin in Alexandria turns out to contain mummified family swimming in red liquid Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
His horse was named Bucephelous

Yeah after Hank Jr.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Why do I remember my 8th grade world history class - Alexander the Great was born in 356BC and died in 323BC. His horse was named Bucephelous (?).

Hmmm, so would that have made him -33 years old?

BC dates count down toward 1 BC, so the smaller number always comes after the larger, the inverse of AD/CE dating.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Why do I remember my 8th grade world history class - Alexander the Great was born in 356BC and died in 323BC. His horse was named Bucephelous (?).

It’s why they call him Alexander the Great rather than Alexander the Average. Razz

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
quote:
quote:

BC dates count down toward 1 BC, so the smaller number always comes after the larger, the inverse of AD/CE dating.

Come on, dude. I was making a joke. Albeit a crappy one.

I know how BC dates work.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30435 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with the burial practices of that culture and time period, I have to wonder if it was an interment in a family home, a basement crypt, that sort of thing. I know that a lot of cultures in that area and that time period kept remains in ossuaries or family crypts; when you died, in you went with grandma and great-uncle and everyone else in the family bone box once your remains were sufficiently decomposed. The state of the tomb says these people were well-off. I wonder what they'll be able to figure out from the dig, I know I'm in the the long haul on data from this one.

Hand-in-hand with that, who knows other spectacular burials are a few dozen feet under modern day cities, especially in the middle east where cities haven't necessarily grown across the land but rather straight up, layers and layers upon layers of nothing but straight history? Rome, Jerusalem, countless other locations. Every time you break the surface of the ground, you're only inches away from thousands of years of history. That's the romanticism that brought me into archaeology in college. The reality of swimming in distilled sewage is what snaps one out of such a reverie.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Alexander's tomb rests under the Nabi Daniel Mosque in Alexandria. Good luck getting permission to excavate under a mosque in Egypt.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Come on, dude. I was making a joke. Albeit a crappy one.

I know how BC dates work.

I got your joke. I thought it was humorous.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
We've opened it and, thank God, the world has not fallen into darkness," Mr Waziri said."I was the first to put my whole head inside the sarcophagus, and here I stand before you — I am fine."

I wonder if he blew bubbles.

Bubbles wasn't in town.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6068 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post