SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alexander the Great hopes dashed as massive black coffin in Alexandria turns out to contain mummified family swimming in red liquid
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alexander the Great hopes dashed as massive black coffin in Alexandria turns out to contain mummified family swimming in red liquid Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
http://www.abc.net.au/news/201...ats-remains/10016646

Alexander the Great hopes dashed as massive black coffin in Alexandria turns out to contain mummified family swimming in red liquid

Egyptian archaeologists have dashed hopes that a newly-discovered ancient sarcophagus might contain the remains of Alexander the Great, finding instead what appeared to be a mummified family of three swimming in red liquid.

Key points:
The 30-tonne coffin is the largest yet found in Alexandria
The location of the remains of Alexander the Great remains a mystery
The mummies were not in the best condition, only bones remain
Workmen found the black granite tomb this month during construction of an apartment building in the historic Mediterranean port city of Alexandria.

The 30-tonne coffin, the largest yet found in Alexandria, prompted a swirl of theories in local and international media that it may be the resting place of the ancient Macedonian ruler, who founded the city that still bears his name in 331 BC.

Egypt's antiquities ministry had vigorously dismissed the chances of finding Alexander's remains inside the 2,000-year-old sarcophagus, and on Thursday its scepticism was vindicated.

"We found the bones of three people, in what looks like a family burial. Unfortunately, the mummies inside were not in the best condition and only the bones remain," Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said.

Mr Waziri said some of the remains had disintegrated because sewage water from a nearby building had leaked into the sarcophagus through a small crack in one of the sides.

Alexander died in 323 BC in Babylon, in what is now Iraq, but his remains were later moved to Alexandria. The exact location of his tomb remains a mystery.

Mr Waziri said it was unlikely the remains found this week belonged to any notable members of the Ptolemaic dynasty (332 BC-30 BC) associated with Alexander the Great, or the subsequent Roman era.

The prospect of opening the long-sealed sarcophagus had stirred fears in Egyptian media that it could unleash a thousand-year curse on its finders.

We've opened it and, thank God, the world has not fallen into darkness," Mr Waziri said.

"I was the first to put my whole head inside the sarcophagus, and here I stand before you — I am fine."

The sarcophagus in Alexandria is the latest of a series of interesting archaeological finds this year in Egypt.

Others include a 4,400-year-old tomb in Giza and an ancient necropolis in Minya, south of Cairo.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
That must smell awful. Pretty cool though.

Crazy to think that it was there for around 2,000 years, probably in perfect condition until the last century or so when sewage seeped in.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
How would you like to be the archaeology intern on that site?

"OK, Achmed - your job is to wade into the red goo and retrieve the bones so we can study them...There's a rag over there you can wipe off with when you get out"

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Suddenly, I'm craving tomato bisque.

Posts: 16208 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pity that Geraldo Rivera wasn’t there for the momentous occasion.

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Pity that Geraldo Rivera wasn’t there for the momentous occasion.
Pity that he wasn't one of those found!

Posts: 6795 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
How much time has to pass before it goes from grave robbing to archeology?

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
My favorite photo of Geraldo:

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
How much time has to pass before it goes from grave robbing to archeology?

Well, if you're talking in terms of offense committed against the dead, I would say flooding the sarcophagus with raw sewage and leaving it to stew for however long is perhaps worse.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do I remember my 8th grade world history class - Alexander the Great was born in 356BC and died in 323BC. His horse was named Bucephelous (?).

P229

Posts: 3952 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
We've opened it and, thank God, the world has not fallen into darkness," Mr Waziri said."I was the first to put my whole head inside the sarcophagus, and here I stand before you — I am fine."

I wonder if he blew bubbles.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, just wait...the curse has been unleashed. So long grave robbers, uh, I mean archeologists.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3634 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought finding Alexander's tomb should've been the plot of one of the Indiana Jones movies instead of the idiotic, ridiculous ideas, like crystal skulls/aliens,

Posts: 15085 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

"OK, Achmed - your job is to wade into the red goo and retrieve the bones so we can study them...There's a rag over there you can wipe off with when you get out"

Two words:

HAZMAT
SUIT

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:

Two words:

HAZMAT
SUIT

Wrong two words.

Correct two words:

NO
WAY

- John Adams

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wrong two words.

Correct two words:

NO
WAY

Or better yet:

I
QUIT

Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Wrong two words.

Correct two words:

NO
WAY

Or better yet:

I just do not want to hear "Your turn".

I
QUIT

Big Grin

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6410 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a situation in a book by an American sea captain who was shipwrecked on the coast of NW Africa and taken as a slave. He made up a story of an Englishman who would pay his ransom if they went to Cairo I think.

He was so thirsty during the trip they came upon a camel carcass and they drank the fluids. They were also so hungry one of them was eating his forearms.

Their captors were amused at their suffering and what the sun did to them. The man he lied about knowing did pay his ransom and he lived to write a book about it. The story is quite instructive on what is thought of infidels.

Posts: 7643 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Why do I remember my 8th grade world history class - Alexander the Great was born in 356BC and died in 323BC. His horse was named Bucephelous (?).

Hmmm, so would that have made him -33 years old?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Achmed says: You talking to me, I quit.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post