SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What an amazing resource the Internet is.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What an amazing resource the Internet is. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The kid that "owns" the ATV I've been working on wanted a speedometer and tachometer on it. Didn't have one originally, no provisions for one in terms of connections.

Found an inexpensive "digital dashboard" on Amazon, speedo, tach, fuel gauge, gear position indicator, high beam, turn signals all in one unit. Didn't need/couldn't use most of it, but for $30-ish, what the heck, right?

Couple of threads already on it looking for help as it didn't come with any actually useful instructions.

Between suggestions from here, a motorcycle board, and YouTube, I eventually found everything I needed to know to install, wire, connect and calibrate the speedo and the tach. If it had not been for those resources, I'd never have figured it out.

Back in the days of finding information by face-to-face questions, telephone and written research, I'd have died of old age before figuring it out.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
YouTube was more helpful than the shop manual's poor line drawings finding the battery in a Buick Enclave. (It's under the floor on the passenger side between the first and second row of seats, if anyone is interested.)

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It really is amazing. I'm in my early thirties, and I'm part of the last generation that really had to learn to do things the old way. I can actually navigate with a map and find my way without GPS, whereas people just a few years younger than me never had to learn it and will likely never need it.

With some discipline and the internet, you can become an expert in literally anything without having to leave your house.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3515 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I've heard that you can even find pics and vids of nekkid wemmen on the Internet. Never looked at any myself; it's just what everyone says...

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Yet, somehow, we used to be able to figure most things out without too much trouble.

There was a thread awhile back about this. One of the points of the thread was that with all of the information on the net being available to anyone at the click of a mouse, nobody has to learn anything anymore.

I liken it to when as a child I'd ask my folks the meaning of a word and the response I always got was "go look it up". If they told me the answer (Googling it), I wouldn't remember it nearly as good as if I looked it up in the dictionary (learned it).

That said, Google/Youtube does come in handy, that's for sure.

Posts: 20117 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I've heard that you can even find pics and vids of nekkid wemmen on the Internet. Never looked at any myself; it's just what everyone says...

Nekkid Wimmen? Say it ain't so!

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Yet, somehow, we used to be able to figure most things out without too much trouble.

There was a thread awhile back about this. One of the points of the thread was that with all of the information on the net being available to anyone at the click of a mouse, nobody has to learn anything anymore.

I liken it to when as a child I'd ask my folks the meaning of a word and the response I always got was "go look it up". If they told me the answer (Googling it), I wouldn't remember it nearly as good as if I looked it up in the dictionary (learned it).

That said, Google/Youtube does come in handy, that's for sure.

This is true. Add to that the fact that there's so much complete bullshit out there. If you don't know at least enough to spot it or be able to vet the website/information you're looking at, it can be at least as dangerous as it is informative.

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Last week I completed the scheduled valve adjustment on my BMW. $1000-1400 service charge, depending on the shop. With instructions from a forum, youtube videos, and ECStuning.com kit, I completed it myself for about $300, 1/2 of which is tools I'll use to do it the next time. I would have never attempted it based on the shop instructions only.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

This may explain a lot of behaviors being observed more and more frequently.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It is but it is not a substitution for formal training and most of all actual "experience".

I get it that you can "Google" and it is a wonder source of information.
But it is not the end-all.

Back in the "day" we used to get Microsoft TechNet sent to us on CD's (not DVD's).
It contained KB (knowledge based) resolutions for known issues that we could consult.
No more of that today, all on the Internet on "Technical Forums" Frown , but it can get you information to consult with.
STILL, it takes actual knowledge and experience to implement.

So yes it is a great thing but not the only thing.

Posts: 22918 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
It is but it is not a substitution for formal training and most of all actual "experience".

I get it that you can "Google" and it is a wonder source of information.
But it is not the end-all.

Back in the "day" we used to get Microsoft TechNet sent to us on CD's (not DVD's).
It contained KB (knowledge based) resolutions for known issues that we could consult.
No more of that today, all on the Internet on "Technical Forums" Frown , but it can get you information to consult with.
STILL, it takes actual knowledge and experience to implement.

So yes it is a great thing but not the only thing.

Very true. And I've waded through my share of TechNet CD's...

posted Hide Post
Met a guy a year ago, 20 something, appeared to be smart, could always add something to a conversation. Maybe what he added wasn’t much, but ALWAYS added something. Part way through the week (volunteering on a mission trip) it clicked - his knowledge was all web based. A little here, a little there, but not enough of anything to put it to good use. Sounded smart, in the end pretty annoying and useless.

Afraid there will be more of it in the years to come.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
And speaking of amazing...

Based on a tip, I located and downloaded a GPS Speedometer app for my phone.

Just used it to check the calibration on the speedometer I installed on the ATV. He rode it home over 1/4 mile or so of town roads, I followed in my pickup.

Both the pickup speedo and the GPS app indicated within 1 MPH of the 20 MPH he held it to for test purposes.

So two things I find amazing: 1) My SWAG on the correction factor for the speedo was right (or damned close) the first time; and 2) A free app for my phone that uses satellites to calculate my speed over the ground.

I don't know which is more amazing, the technology, or that much computing power in a device the size of an old fashioned post card. And not much heavier.

What a time we live in...

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Anyone want to buy a full set of Encyclopedia Britanicca? It's only missing volume 2.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Anyone want to buy a full set of Encyclopedia Britanicca? It's only missing volume 2.

According to internet sources, there never was a Volume 2 in the set of Encyclopedia Britannica...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I think Volume 2 is under the left rear leg of the couch after the kids broke it off chasing the dog.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of chaff to separate before you can get to the wheat.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Congrats on matching parts! I find some obscure stuff on the internet that makes my jobs and hobbies easier and better!

Today, via the internet, I found out ramen noodles, the ones in the little packs, 12-for-$2.50 are deep-fried. Freshly-made air-dried noodles are far less unhealthy.

I eat such a spartan diet, I was wondering about changes in metabolism from eating just one little 3 ounce package.

One thing I could not discover was if/then the package size became smaller. Seems they used to me bigger ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
The kid that "owns" the ATV I've been working on wanted a speedometer and tachometer on it. Didn't have one originally, no provisions for one in terms of connections.

Found an inexpensive "digital dashboard" on Amazon, speedo, tach, fuel gauge, gear position indicator, high beam, turn signals all in one unit. Didn't need/couldn't use most of it, but for $30-ish, what the heck, right?

Couple of threads already on it looking for help as it didn't come with any actually useful instructions.

Between suggestions from here, a motorcycle board, and YouTube, I eventually found everything I needed to know to install, wire, connect and calibrate the speedo and the tach. If it had not been for those resources, I'd never have figured it out.

Back in the days of finding information by face-to-face questions, telephone and written research, I'd have died of old age before figuring it out.

Part of the reason it took 5 yrs to restore my 68 Firebird was because I did it in the 80's before innerwebs. Info was scarce. Parts were even more so. That, and I had to re-fix what I fixed wrong a few times as I learned. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29710 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having the basic skills to rip something apart, fix what's wrong, and put it back together is great, but...

It's awful nice to see it done on youtube once before you try it yourself. Your job goes faster, and the likelihood of breakage or bleeding is reduced.

As far as the Encyclopaedia Britannica goes, mine's dated 1911. Thumbing through it is as good as surfing the web, but be sure to wear your thick glasses. I think it's in 2 point font.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post