SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good methods for treating mosquito bites?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good methods for treating mosquito bites? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sting-Eze works well for me.
And I used to ride my bike in the fog behind the skeeter control truck. Should have been good for life long resistance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
Here is an interesting study from Germany about this very topic:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257884/

That is interesting. I have long used a hot
spoon to get relief from especially itchy bites. This is the same concept but more convenient.

JC

Posts: 1305 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm lucky, as a kid I would scratch them until I was raw. These days they hardly effect me at all, especially if I don't touch or scratch them at all.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Rub the bite with ammonia on a cotton ball asap. r.

Also works good on Bee & wasp stings.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The trick of course, is to stop scratching...easier said than done for some.

Amen! Mad

The more I remind myself "don't scratch... don't scratch!" the more they itch.

God bless America.

Posts: 13908 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vistaril or Atarax. Prescription only, but do help. Gnats and fire ants are much worse for me. Again using DEET helps a lot.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Ok, I'll admit to using herbal type remedies.
This time of year I take something called Stinging Nettles (sp?).

I'm up for trying it. Can this be found at local natural food stores and the like?

God bless America.

Posts: 13908 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
After Bite stick from Walmart.

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Yes, it should be available at local natural health food stores or it can be found online.
Make sure you get "Stinging Nettles" not just "Nettles"
Email me if you have any more questions.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Lidocaine gell coupled with Benadryl.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been using my fingernail to make an X on the bite site for years. Itch goes away almost immediately and the bump is gone shortly afterwards.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
For me a mosquito bite leaves a welt like a spider bite and itches for days.

This is called Skeeter Syndrome. I get it once a year cutting the grass, its an allergic reaction to a different type of mosquito. I used to go to the urgent care and they'd give me prednisone or maybe antibiotics, which didn't do anything. If I get bit I usually take Zyrtec for a couple of days and it seems to help with most mosquitos.

Posts: 2605 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Tiger Balm

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4373 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:
Here is an interesting study from Germany about this very topic:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257884/

Bought the heat pen and the bug bite thingy. Used today and felt immediate relief and no swelling. Normally I welt up severely with mosquito bites. And just last week got bit and blistered in three spots. They are still not resolved. So these products are a game changer for me.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5187 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I am refreshing this thread for a heat spoon testimonial. I got eaten alive by chiggers yesterday, like 30 bites. I just tried the hot spoon trick it feels as good as the thumbnail X and seems to knock down the itch.

Posts: 2605 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I sit next to my kid or my wife, they love those guys. All I can figure is we all have different body chemical. I have O- blood and they don’t…they must be sweeter. Or I’m more of a hard bastard coating with a hard bastard filling then them.

Tommy gets huge welts. Mrs. Mike just semi huge welts….I give them some hydrocortisone salve and move on.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Shooting mosquitos with a 10mm.

It takes your mind off the itch.

If you do not have a 10mm, the 9mm, will at least blow a lung out of the little bastards, and he won't be biting you again, nor anyone else.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
www.BugBiteThing.com

My wife saw this on Shark Tank and bought one. Now this is not a cure, but it reduces the time of discomfort by about 75%. Works better than anything I've tried in the past.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I JUST discovered (after years of suffering) that OTC Claritan works wonders to alleviate the itching from chigger bites. What is normally one to two weeks of nearly unbearable itching was reduced to a couple of days of minor discomfort.

I was checking a field for a weapon one night last week and those little bastards were waiting for me in the tall grass. Must have had 40 bites. Ugh.

Posts: 2659 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Bought this (Bite-Away) last year after one of the threads here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great as I have always been heat treating bites for itch easing.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post