SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good methods for treating mosquito bites?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good methods for treating mosquito bites? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good morning, SF. Let's talk mosquito bites.

This is a good place for an epic rant, but I'm not creative enough this morning. The root of it, though, is that I don't see mosquitoes serving any good purpose, they are evidently no fan of mine either, and I believe these wee-beasties to be winged instruments of the devil.

Last weekend I got clobbered -- I figure about two dozen bites around my ankles and up to my knees. Mosquito bites are straight-up rough on me -- the itching never stops, I scratch, and over a period of weeks (or even months) bites turn to scars.

I'm doing the cortisone cream routine right now, trying to tamp down the itching. But here we are a week after the initial battle, and the bites look like I just got them yesterday. Is there any good way to speed up the healing?

God bless America.

Posts: 13507 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Johnson & Johnson make an anti-itch gel, Walmart sells it. I buy it by the case.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5046 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My wife has a sensitivity to bug bites and has found relief using the After Bite Itch Eraser. Carries one in her purse plus there a several around the house. Your mileage may vary, but it works for her.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Straight ammonia when first bit. Use a cotton ball to apply. After that, use extra strength Benadryl itch stopping gel.

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is an interesting study from Germany about this very topic:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257884/

Posts: 680 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog:

That's bloody fascinating! Thank you, Bulldog.

The device mentioned in the linked article is available on Amazon (yeah, I know... ) for just 30 bucks. I'm hella-tempted to try it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13507 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Mosquito bites seem to last for a couple hours on me.

Damn chiggers are the ones that itch like crazy, and last for 2 weeks.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll admit to using herbal type remedies.
This time of year I take something called Stinging Nettles (sp?).
Comes in a dropper bottle but I just take about a half of dropper in a little water. You can just squirt in your mouth but it taste like how I imagine shit would taste.
It takes a few days to start working so I do it twice a day for a couple of weeks then just once a day through the rest of the summer.
I get to the point that mosquito bites don't even start to bother me.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
My fiancée, her son and my daughter don't react well to mosquito bites. Benadryl Extra Strength Anti-Itch Cooling Spray works for them.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
For me, Afterbite gives about a 20-30% reduction in symptoms. Topical Benadryl does nothing. Cortizone 10 is what I use along with avoidance.

Interesting article Bulldog. I just ordered one of those and we'll see how well it works.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
A method I use is to take a hot spoon and use the back side of the spoon on the bite.
I heat the spoon by putting hot water in a glass either by the tap or a heated by a microwave (be extra careful) then putting the spoon in the water.
Make it as hot as you can stand.
It seems silly but shortly afterwards the itching stops or is drastically reduced.
Mosquito bites drive me crazy and this helps me a LOT.
The bites still swell but the itching is controllable.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Campho-Phenique works great on insect bites, especially mosquito and chigger bites. Been around forever but still a good product.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
For me a mosquito bite leaves a welt like a spider bite and itches for days. I have quite a few scars from itching as I haven't found a good anti-itch remedy (not benadryl cream/gel, not Cortizone 10, after bit is ok initially but wears off, etc).
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Interesting article Bulldog. I just ordered one of those and we'll see how well it works.
+1

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I use Chigarid, an OTC med. It works really well.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
For the first time I used coconut oil on a few mosquito bites, and it seemed to work pretty good as well. Did have to put it on a few times a day as the itch returned.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
For me a mosquito bite leaves a welt like a spider bite and itches for days. I have quite a few scars from itching as I haven't found a good anti-itch remedy (not benadryl cream/gel, not Cortizone 10, after bit is ok initially but wears off, etc).
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
+1

Me 2. Amazon has a $10 off coupon on it atm.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

That's bloody fascinating! Thank you, Bulldog.

The device mentioned in the linked article is available on Amazon (yeah, I know... ) for just 30 bucks. I'm hella-tempted to try it.

That is interesting but consistent with my above post ^^^ with the heated spoon but easier.
Might have to try one.

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Rub the bite with ammonia on a cotton ball asap. Quicker you apply the less swelling. Burn Jel Plus works good as an itch reliever.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257884/

They got me with:
“Conclusions
Locally administrated concentrated heat leads to fast amelioration of symptoms.”

Health warning: You’ll need a minimum of six cowboys to hold you while someone treats your mosquito bites with a branding iron. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had good success with Sting-Eze. Get it on the 'bite site' early and it keeps the irritation down. Ice cubes help by numbing the location.

For general soothing, especially sunburns and multiple bites, Sarna lotion provides relief.

The trick of course, is to stop scratching...easier said than done for some.

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post