SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have You Ever Been Ambivalent About Winning/Losing An Auction?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have You Ever Been Ambivalent About Winning/Losing An Auction? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Quick background: Was gifted a "race gun" in .357 Sig. Thought it'd be neat to get a carry pistol in the same.

A nice one showed up at an auction site. I determined what it would be worth to me.

Long story short: At the 11th hour somebody comes along and trumps my bid. I had to exert fairly significant control to resist the temptation to try to out-bid the late-comer.

Here's the odd thing: By the time the bidding ended I wasn't so sure I wanted the item any more, anyway. But, at the same time, I'm annoyed at having lost the auction.

I think if I'd won I'd have been happy about winning, but experienced buyer's remorse at the same time.

Ever had either of those happen to you with an auction? E.g.: Kinda sorta lukewarm glad it ended-up the way it did, but, at the same time, kinda sorta wishing it'd gone the other way?

It's weird.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Yes.

When you go to live auctions, you could at least see your competition, size them up, wrongly mostly. The competitive juices would start to flow and overcome reason and rational decision making.

I briefly flirted with eBay years ago, actually buying a Mercedes SL, a tuba, and a bunch of lesser items, and experienced the sensation you describe many times. Some anonymous no good would outbid me at the last moment. I spent a lot of time plotting and scheming to thwart those bums, all of which seemed to involve paying more than I wanted to.

I gave up participating in auctions.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
No not weird. It happens to me more often than not. I get on a Jones for something, and I need to have it bad. After I have committed, someone else out bids me which riles me up, since now I have to pay more to get it.

Lately, I come to my senses, and let the other bidders have it, and let it go at that. Then I rest easy. This is all the result of outbidding a bunch of guys to buy a Firebird, which wound up being nothing but trouble. So now I just think of the grief it caused, and I just move along.

On the other hand, I still wish I had won a couple of pistols I wanted, but didn't really need. And so it goes. It is the human condition; buyers remorse vs. irritation at not winning. Depends on the day.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've made some good buys at online auctions but generally do better face to face. the best buys seem to be the ones I don't care if I win or not.

I've heard it said that the definition of a fair deal is when both parties think they got screwed. Razz

Posts: 4829 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I've been buying and selling on eBay since 2001.
I've also done some buying and selling on Gunbroker.

You did the right thing, set your bid at your top limit of what you would pay.
There are always going to be last minute bidders that try to outbid you.
But since you already made your decision on what the item was worth to you, getting outbid really shouldn't matter.

I know I have better things to do than to be online just watch an auction end if I've already determined my top bid.

These auction sites thrive on people getting obsessed with 'winning'.
Then people end up paying more for something than they wanted to just to 'win'.
The higher the end price is, the more the auction business makes.

I just went through what you went through this weekend.
Wife wants a CTC for her Glock 42.
Found one on eBay and put a top bid of $150, was the top bidder for 2 days.
Someone bid over my $150 with literally 6 seconds left on the auction, it went for $152.50.
How did I feel about that?
They can have it, it wasn't worth more than $150 to me..

Posts: 4415 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
You describe a typical cycle. Auctions are competitive by design.

I have learned to make a decision on what I am willing to pay, set the auto bid max there and go away until the auction has ended. I know if I follow the auction in progress I'll get sucked into that bidding cycle.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3905 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I only ever bid once, and only ever at the last second. Telegraphing your bid by doing so earlier than that is just asking to be outbid. Don't let the game game you...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Yes.

When you go to live auctions, you could at least see your competition, size them up, wrongly mostly. The competitive juices would start to flow and overcome reason and rational decision making.

*Argle* Don't even speak to me of live auctions.

Last one I went to was when I was in old hand tool collecting mode. (I thought I was going to get into fine woodworking.) Estate sale. Had my eye on a particular Stanley Baily hand plane. Unfortunately, so did somebody else. We'd both spotted it about the same time. I saw it, he saw it, we each saw that the other'd seen it and eyeballed each other. When it came up we got into a bidding war. In my last three-four bids it became, on my part, more one of "How high can I make this joker go?" than actually wanting to win it. Thank God I gave up when I did, because, by the time I let him have it, it was going for well more than it was worth--both to me and in real value.

My wife had been watching all this, freaking out. Nearly everybody else there had stopped looking at the other stuff and gathered 'round the two of us to watch the show Razz

quote:
I briefly flirted with eBay years ago, actually buying a Mercedes SL, a tuba, and a bunch of lesser items, and experienced the sensation you describe many times. Some anonymous no good would outbid me at the last moment. I spent a lot of time plotting and scheming to thwart those bums, all of which seemed to involve paying more than I wanted to.

Since eBay has no "15 minute rule," the way to win is set your price and snipe the auction. I actually once won with, not kidding, one second left in the auction. I was actually surprised I made it. (I hadn't meant to shave it that close. I'd forgotten about the bid confirmation step.)

There are two reasons for sniping: To prevent auto-bidding software from beating you and to prevent yourself from engaging in senseless bidding wars.

quote:
I gave up participating in auctions.

So did I, but mostly because eBay's become kinda st00pid wrt auctions. I have watched people pay more for used things than they could get brand-new ones for on Amazon or whatever. Repeatedly. Now I only use eBay for Buy It Now things or for used stuff you cannot buy new any more that I actually need.

quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I have learned to make a decision on what I am willing to pay, set the auto bid max there and go away until the auction has ended. I know if I follow the auction in progress I'll get sucked into that bidding cycle.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I only ever bid once, and only ever at the last second. Telegraphing your bid by doing so earlier than that is just asking to be outbid. Don't let the game game you...

On GB I've decided on kind of an amalgam of those two: Bid close to the last fifteen minutes or so, to avoid triggering raising the price, then purposely walk away until I know it's over.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Ebay has made a ton of money over the years from buyers getting into bidding wars over an item. Multiple buyers getting a case of the "I wants" is a seller's dream. When I first got on Ebay (around 1999?) I lost numerous auctions due to last-second bidding (sniping). The way their system works with a specific end time means that sniping is usually the only way (other than luck) to keep the price down as early bidding tends to drive the price up.

If you're not careful you either end up frustrated from losing or overpay. Unless it's something that's really hard to come by you just have to figure out your personal maximum price and stick to it. If you win - great, if you lose wait for another like it to show up. Some items I wanted took months to obtain at a decent price, others over a year. Rare in real life and RARE! on Ebay have little in common.

In recent years I've scored better deals from "Buy It Now" items than from auctions. Sometimes a seller puts out something you want at a fair price or even a bargain price and that's when you want to be fast with the mouse.

It's not bad once you get past the "win/lose" mentality. It's just a purchase so your wallet will be a lot happier with a bit of restraint and realizing that "rare" is the most abused word on Ebay.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2050 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Yep.

I figure what I am willing to pay for an item, set a calendar reminder to alert me a little before the auction ends, and if the amount is still under my limit, I hold off until the last few seconds and bid my max, and let it ride.

I have gotten a great number of items this way, and often for far less than I expected. Never paid more than I was willing to pay in the first place.

The exception is "Buy It Now" and "Make Offer". And those are items that are hard to find. (Car parts for a mid 60's)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Yes, all the time. My solution is to bid early and give the maximum I want to. If I lose it, so be it. I bid on a GM MAF a few days ago, I held it until the last 2 minutes. Someone bid $1 over my max price. I let it go.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you win the bid and sometimes you don't. I know how much I am willing to pay for an item and draw the line at that amount. It's just stuff. No big deal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: prairieviper,

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I still buy a few things on eBay from time to time, but almost universally use eSnipe if it's not a buy-it-now or make-an-offer type deal. Put in the amount I'm willing to pay and walk away. Get a notice at auction end that it was either enough or not.

I'm sure it hacks some folks off since it functions under the "sniping" model of bidding in last seconds of auction, but it's a tool that's in bounds and I have had good luck with it. Also relieves the issues of getting emotionally involved in the auction, which I have done with some watch/gun auctions in the past. And have DEFINITELY seen happen live at classic/muscle car auctions!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It is very frustrating. Watch something for days. Bid a fair price and decide on your limit. Then in the last 30 seconds lose while fighting the urge to bid higher than your well thought out limit. Find another item and repeat. Eventually it will work out.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have You Ever Been Ambivalent About Winning/Losing An Auction?

Quite a few times.

For winning - Put in a bid, fully expecting someone would come along and outbid me. Didn't happen. So, I was stuck with the "win" in the end. Roll Eyes

For losing - Put in a max bid, thinking that was way up there that no one would be crazy enough to reach it. Well, some nut (like me) came along and outbid me. I lost and was annoyed, but at the same time I was greatly relieved that I didn't have to spend.

Q

Posts: 27627 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
And then there is the shill bidding or the seller pulls the auction if the price is being bid up to where they figure it should be.

I started an item once for a dollar, a 1960's Harley Davidson carburetor body with damage. Pointed the damage out in the photos and explained where it was in the description.

The winner got it for a buck, shipping cost more than the item did. If it didn't go on the "Bay" it was going to go in my scrap pile.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im always worried about the fake bids that occur last minute to raise the price.

Go back a day or two later and see if the item is listed for sale again. This will tell you if they are trying to fudge the auction.

Posts: 5466 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Go back a day or two later and see if the item is listed for sale again. This will tell you if they are trying to fudge the auction.

Well, if they were, they screwed up. I've been watching this particular selection for... a week? A bit longer?

With few exceptions the same things keep getting re-listed, for the same prices, repeatedly. I think I've seen all of three of the ±41 there actually bid on. When one does go, it goes for the minimum.

I'm kind of losing interest, now. Thus the ambivalence over having "lost" the auction.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I go to several equipment auctions a year and you'd think they weren't emotional purchases.
Quite often, I see things go for more than retail plus buyers premium.
The auctioneers and spotters are good at working competitive bidders to see it as a grudge match and pay accordingly.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Yes. Being ambivalent about winning / losing an auction is a much better state of mind than:
  • gotta have it
  • that mf'er thinks he has more money than me

Unfortunately, I've experienced the second bullet at live auctions during Ducks Unlimited fundraisers after a few beers.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post