SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Are Your Favorite Lubricants?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are Your Favorite Lubricants? Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
No, not those types of lubricants, and why don’t you get your mind out of the gutter, while you’re at it.

I see a need for three different types of Lubricants. First, those used to clean and prevent rust. Second, those that lubricate moving parts that contact each other. And lastly, those that do not migrate or on parts that oil or grease will accumulate dirt and particulates. These lubricants are to be used on Pistols, Rifles, Shoties, SMGs, SBRS, Romulan Disrupters, and such, but don’t need to be made specifically for guns.

First, I use Rem Oil and CLP/Break Free for general cleaning and to prevent rust during storage. These products aren’t thick enough to work on metal-on-metal, for my tastes, but work great for internal parts to stay clean.

I have not chosen a “Damn Grease” solution yet, and would like to know what you guys use. It would have to be a grease that doesn’t gum up after use or storage, and can still work like the day you applied it.

Lastly, I use Gunslick Anhydrous Graphite on parts that could be affected by dust, dirt, and particulates. Its lubricity doesn’t change over time, it works great on parts that see a lot of friction and stress. I use it on HK Roller Locking Delayed Blowback locking pieces and bolt heads in general, for instance. It’s very useful in getting in to the rollers and staying there. But I would prefer some sort of “Damn Grease” for HK Bolt Carrier lubrication. That would go for pistol slide rails as well.

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation is the only thread that comes close to having folks offer what they use. It’s a sticky in the pistol thread, and is great for Sig Pistol lubrication. That thread started in 2009, and this thread is not a replacement for it. This is not so much a ‘How To’ thread as much as a ‘What Do You Use’ thread.

Thanks.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
I use KY Jelly on my gun!

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
CLP, and DuPont Krytox are my preferred lubes. Also Mr. Gibbs and Kroll for cleaning.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slip 2000 based on several recommendations here. I also use Lucas Oil Marine Grease on some areas of some firearms.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Oils: Militec-1 and FP-10. Smile
Grease: Brownell's Action Lube and Militec-1 Grease

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You guys told me it should be bacon for smoothage.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:

Of course you do. Its what its been made for. But always remember, "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting and this is for fun."

CLP on my rifle, KY jelly on my gun.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Mobile 1

Posts: 5698 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Mobil 1 for my car.

Shell Rotella T for my motorcycle.

Brian Eno's Slide Glide for my pistols.

Slip 2000 for my AR.

Slip 2000 Extreme Weapons Grease for my M1A, and knife pivots.

Breakfree CLP for anything that just needs a wipe-on coat of oil.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by George43:

Of course you do. Its what its been made for. But always remember, "This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting and this is for fun."

CLP on my rifle, KY jelly on my gun.

Be happy he did not mention Anal Ease Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Gun lubricants aside, I always keep some silicone grease on hand. It has about the same constancy as Vaseline, but is perfectly clear, never gets gummy, and is quite inert.

I use it to lube parts of some food processing equipment, and also to lube the tenon of some of my briar pipes.

I get it in the plumbing department of Home Depot. It comes in a cylindrical grey plastic tub ~1-1/2" in diameter, and ~3/4" high.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8996 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I really thought this was gonna be a bendable thread by the title Razz

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
SLIP for weapons.

Mobile 1 for cars.

Whatever is convenient for other purposes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lubricant - FP-10
Rust Preventative - Eezox

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5170 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slip 2000 grease for the Sigs. The Berettas get Lucas oil.
AR and AK get Lucas also.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Greases: Superlube and Walmart red multipurpose grease

Oils: Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil, Ballistol, MPro7

Cleaners: Mpro7 gun cleaner, Ballistol, Hoppes9

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just about every gun forum including this one, already has at least a hundred threads on the subject already.
Including but not limited to, guns, automotive/mechanical, penetrating, the fragrance of, price of, and on and on.

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The blood of my enemy. Or, Super Lube.

One makes me happy. The other works better.

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Gun lubricants aside, I always keep some silicone grease on hand. It has about the same constancy as Vaseline, but is perfectly clear, never gets gummy, and is quite inert.

I use it to lube parts of some food processing equipment, and also to lube the tenon of some of my briar pipes.

I get it in the plumbing department of Home Depot. It comes in a cylindrical grey plastic tub ~1-1/2" in diameter, and ~3/4" high.

Yes, forgot about that. I got a little tube of it to lubricate the seals/rubber gaskets on my backpacking water filters. Realize that it did a good job preserving the seals and making everything go back together smoothly. Now I use it on anything with a rubber gasket or threads such as flashlights or anything with a battery compartment.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Slip 2000 grease for the Sigs. The Berettas get Lucas oil.
AR and AK get Lucas also.

Most .22LR guys lube their pistols with oil. And the manual that came with my Beretta 87 Target says to use oil. But I use Slip2000 EWG instead, with perfect operation. That's despite the fact that my ammo choice is Aguila Pistol Match, which is at the low end of standard velocity (925 FPS).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8996 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post