SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Route 91 fest Vegas shooting?
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 87

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Route 91 fest Vegas shooting? Login/Join 
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
where would a fella look to find out how much energy a .223 round has at 400 or so yards?

It would vary a bit by barrel length, bullet weight, etc but around 300 ft lbs on average.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t believe that people are still holding on to the isis connection. This 64 year old man had nothing to do with any terrorist group, not isis, antifa or anything. I doubt that we’ll ever know why he did it and there’s no secret accomplice in hiding right now either.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Report This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I have only seen media reports conflating the 500+ injured as lumped together with shooting victims. It's unclear to me how many were injured by the efforts of taking cover and exodus. In no way do I mean to minimize the experiences and injuries of anyone involved, but I would like clarification on this point. How much was due to projectile injury versus, as someone mentioned many pages ago, a Cincinnatti/Who concert crowd surge?

Last nights 8pm news conference stated that the injured numbers were now at 489. 58 passed, plus shooter is 59. I have not heard how many were caused by aftermath rather than GSW. Coroner previously said he's not specifying until after all is complete and families are informed first.

Change in original number was attributed to multiple hospital reports which may not have excluded other injuries routine in LV.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Report This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
^Thanks!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
quote:
I have only seen media reports conflating the 500+ injured as lumped together with shooting victims. It's unclear to me how many were injured by the efforts of taking cover and exodus. In no way do I mean to minimize the experiences and injuries of anyone involved, but I would like clarification on this point. How much was due to projectile injury versus, as someone mentioned many pages ago, a Cincinnatti/Who concert crowd surge?

Last nights 8pm news conference stated that the injured numbers were now at 489. 58 passed, plus shooter is 59. I have not heard how many were caused by aftermath rather than GSW. Coroner previously said he's not specifying until after all is complete and families are informed first.

Change in original number was attributed to multiple hospital reports which may not have excluded other injuries routine in LV.

I doubt the coroner is the source for how many wounded and how.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last nights 8pm news conference stated that the injured numbers were now at 489. 58 passed, plus shooter is 59.

This always irritated me. Why count him? He should have slit his wrists in a bathtub somewhere and died quietly. He does not deserve to be counted along with the victims of his act.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:

I doubt the coroner is the source for how many wounded and how.

Sorry trying to be brief, not mysterious. At 1 point in earlier conference a reporter asked if all deceased were GSW. He wouldn't comment. Unintentionally- only applies to the deceased.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
where would a fella look to find out how much energy a .223 round has at 400 or so yards?

Long ago the military (the Department of the Army Office of the Surgeon General, IIRC) concluded that a projectile with kinetic energy of 58 foot-pounds was necessary to cause a casualty. And “casualty” refers to someone who suffers a wound serious enough to render him combat ineffective, at least temporarily. The details of that are of course important and the figure is based on many averages. Shoot someone in the eye with an airsoft pellet and he would likely become largely combat ineffective, so projectiles with much less than 58 foot-pounds of energy are still capable of inflicting serious injuries requiring medical treatment, or possibly even death.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Of course the sheriff said last night that they have reasonable suspicion that the suspect had planned to escape but he wouldn't provide any details into how they know that.

What was this douche going to do? Parachute out his window and down to his car which was loaded with 50lbs of tannerite and 1,300 rounds of .223? There's no way he'd have been able to escape. He was trapped in a hotel room on the 32nd floor.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The guy may have prepared for that unlikely contingency, but the picture I'm getting of this sheriff is someone who tends to talk out of his ass.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Of course the sheriff said last night that they have reasonable suspicion that the suspect had planned to escape but he wouldn't provide any details into how they know that.

What was this douche going to do? Parachute out his window and down to his car which was loaded with 50lbs of tannerite and 1,300 rounds of .223? There's no way he'd have been able to escape. He was trapped in a hotel room on the 32nd floor.

His hooker accomplice was going to stuff him in her jai jai and waltz out the door.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Of course he had help. Paid help in fact. They're called bell hops, and then live to move luggage. If he showed up with a bunch of stuff theh probably saw a big tip in their near future and happily moved everything up to his room without question. Happens all the time.Roll Eyes

Apparently he is not that big of a tipper.

And it seems he has an appetite also.
Room service receipt says 2 guests.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
^^Yet more "evidence". Roll Eyes

Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
She was a hungry hooker.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Looks like he had been planning something like this for a while.

Link

Stephen Paddock had his sights set on Lollapalooza in Chicago and even booked 2 rooms in a hotel that overlooked the massive outdoor venue ... TMZ has learned.

Paddock booked one room for August 1, 2017, 2 days before the August 3 kickoff. Paddock then booked a second room for an August 3 arrival. Both rooms had an August 6 checkout ... that's when Lollapalooza ended.
The hotel directly overlooked the main stage as well as several adjoining stages. It also overlooks the main entrance and exit where thousands of people file through. And the hotel had a bird's-eye view of the crowd. We're told Paddock specifically requested both rooms be a "view room" which only face Grant Park, where the concert was being held. And here's the scariest part ... it's difficult if not impossible to flee because of Lake Michigan. Sources tell TMZ Paddock had never booked a room at the hotel before, nor had his girlfriend.

Our sources say Paddock never showed.
If his plan was to wreak havoc on Lollapalooza the way he did 2 months later in Vegas, it shows the murderous plot was long-standing.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Proof of an elaborate conspiracy...

Or maybe, he's just booked at a double-occupancy rate and that's reflected automatically in the charge-to-room system?

And really, what difference does it make relative to Paddock himself? Does having an accomplice make him less morally culpable?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Proof of an elaborate conspiracy...
It's a mystery, wrapped in a riddle, baked into a delectable enigma crust.

It's the turducken of clues.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The guy may have prepared for that unlikely contingency, but the picture I'm getting of this sheriff is someone who tends to talk out of his ass.

I caught a couple of minutes of his live comments yesterday and he is an idiot. At one point he called the shooter a superhero...then quickly corrected by saying, "well obviously not a hero". This was all in reference to the apparent inability of one person to buy guns, rent a room and spray bullets at a crowd. He was openly speculating in a rambling monologue with no evidence to support his statements. He was in fact talking out of his ass in the purest sense of the term.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Apparently he is not that big of a tipper.

Would you really tip more than ten bucks for someone just to deliver food to your room? Ridiculously expensive food at that. I mean seriously, $12 for soup? They may have gotten five dollars from me at most for a room service meal.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What does it matter?