SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do in Newport RI?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in Newport RI? Login/Join 
Picture of aileron
posted
I have work in Newport Rhode Island next week - I had to look at a map to see where RI is! We're staying at the Marriott, but have a rental car.

I have 3-4 dinners to cover, 2 with customers. Wifey has the days to herself.

Thanks

aileron

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When I was there, ~50 years ago, there was a walk along the ocean with a bunch of mansions from the guilded age, Vanderbilts, Morgan, DuPont, etc.

One I remember was called The Breakers. There are a dozen or more.

The other attraction was the Viking Hotel where weekend dances brought young Navy officers to be in to terrorize New Englands most desirable young women, but they are all grandmothers by now.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Very touristy. If you have a rental drive to Providence. Unbelievable restaurants. Newport is overpriced mediocre food. They get away with because they know most people won't be back.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PD,

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Very touristy. If you have a rental drive to Providence. Unbeivable restaurants. Newport is overpriced mediocre food. They get away with because they know most people won't be back.

Providence? That's half way across the state!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Marriott is on America's Cup Ave, which is near Thames St. Both streets have lots of shops and restaurants. If you go up to Bellevue Ave, that has all the mansions, the international tennis hall of fame an auto museum, and lots of other things to look at. There is also the cliff walk, and a few beaches. Your best bet would google Newport and see what you can find. I think they have tours all over town also.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Tillinghast Street. Wink

Posts: 18353 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deeds Not Words
posted Hide Post
As a Surface Warfare Officer, Newport is our Pensacola. I was also stationed there as an instructor and a student at the Naval War College. Newport is known for its "summer cottages"...think Vanderbilt and Carnegie on Belleveu Avenue -- Take a tour. If tennis is your thing, the tennis hall of fame is also on Belleveu Ave. If a more nautical spirit catches your whimsy,ride one of the original 12 meter competitors that is berthed in Newport as they used to host America's Cup. Finally, consider a tour of Fort Adams, the Naval War College, and Eisenhower's summer White House if you enjoy History. Make a reservation for dinner at the Whitehorse Tavern, the oldest restaurant in the United States. Newport is awesome in the summer but make sure you pack plenty of patience as the traffic can be awful.

Navy BMD: When "Aim High" isn't High Enough!

Posts: 72 | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Stayed at an exceptional Victorian B&B called the Ivy Lodge, The Breakers is a must see along Cliff Walk, and the American Eagle was my 12m of choice.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Very touristy. If you have a rental drive to Providence. Unbeivable restaurants. Newport is overpriced mediocre food. They get away with because they know most people won't be back.

Providence? That's half way across the state!

So a 15 minute drive then? Wink

No shit, there are counties out west that are larger than Rhode Island.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newport is fine for food. There are many good choices. I'd never head to providence expecting an improvement. Newport is a classic sailing harbor and for entertainment do something in that venue. The 12m sailing is the best option but there are many more. With a car head to battleship cove and tour.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11164 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Heads up. The Pell Bridge (Route 138 from the mainland to the island) is down to one lane in each direction for the month of June. Epic traffic awaits there.

Much easier to use Route 24 South from Route 195 to get there.

Lots of good eats around, at various price points. Ask locals, not people working in shops, for recommendations.

Grab a harbor tour if you can, see the big boats.

Walk across the Goat Island Bridge and have a bite out there overlooking the harbor. I forget the name of the restaurant but right next to the Goat Island Marina there's a little restaurant that is not too outrageously priced. My father in law takes us there often when we visit his boat.

Tennis HoF is neat it that's your game, wife'e great uncle is a tour guide there (Ron).

Cliff Walk is nice but takes a bit of time, it's longer than you think.

Providence has good restaurants, but it'll take 35-90 minutes to get there depending on time, route, and day. Not worth the hassle IMHO. Battleship Cove is cool in MA, but it will also take a chunk of time to get to.

What days are you planning to be up? Any weekend days? Those will be pretty hectic with tourists downtown, so good people-watching.

There are guide kiosks downtown on the waterfront as well to guide your choices. Tons of shopping and history.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Newport is fine for food. There are many good choices. I'd never head to providence expecting an improvement.

Newport is not even on the map for fine dining for the reasons I stated above, however, I will agree that Tito's serves an excellent burrito.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
If you make it to Providence, try Mills Tavern, Gracies, or Persimmon. If you want something more casual, try Red Stripe.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4856 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If you make it to Providence, visit the Federal Hill area. Its near downtown and there are multiple Italian restaurants,Caserta Pizzeria is a must!

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
The inn at Castle Hill on a nice day holds beautiful views of the Newport Harbor mouth and all the sail boating, I would eat at the Midtown Oyster Bar for sure. Diego's for ethnic food and the Cook House on Bannisters wharf.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
The tennis hall of fame is there, if that's something you might be interested in.

Just a drive around the ocean front....Ocean Drive? is a good time to check out how the other half lives.

It's been many years since I've been there, but during college, spent a lot of time there. Fun city.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39230 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(K,Na)(Fe+++,Al,Mg)2
(Si,Al)4 O10(OH)2
Picture of Munch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Stayed at an exceptional Victorian B&B called the Ivy Lodge, The Breakers is a must see along Cliff Walk, and the American Eagle was my 12m of choice.

I stayed there during the last Volvo Ocean Race....nice place isn't it.

Posts: 859 | Location: north central Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
If you make it to Providence, visit the Federal Hill area. Its near downtown and there are multiple Italian restaurants,Caserta Pizzeria is a must!

Unfortunately, Federal Hill has gone down hill in the last few years. A bunch of the old Italian places are gone and tattoo shops, hooka bars, clubs, etc have moved in.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4856 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We visited Newport several times, taking our boat from NJ. We loved it for the cliff walk, mansion tours and food.

Our favorite restaurant was Scales & Shells, excellent seafood!

You can go out to where they unload the lobster and have them prepare it for you, we did this several times, doesn't get fresher. You order and come back later to pick it up.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, especially the heads-up on traffic. We arrive Sunday evening and return to Montana on Friday

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post