SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The LA Times Wants Former Inmates To Serve On Juries
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The LA Times Wants Former Inmates To Serve On Juries Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
There's got to be something in the water out in California, the stupid ideas are non-stop.

The Los Angeles Times editorial board wrote an op-ed Tuesday arguing that not only should former inmates be given the right to vote, but they should be allowed to serve on juries as well.

The LA Times claimed that former inmates deserve “a clean slate and a chance to start over,” and part of that chance is restoring their duty to judge fellow citizens with respect to the law. The editorial board lauded California for automatically restoring an inmate’s right to vote after he has served his sentence, but also urged lawmakers to pass a bill granting felons jury eligibility as well.

The Times dismissed arguments claiming convicted felons are poor judges of character and argued instead that lawmakers who oppose the bill are simply “more concerned with currying favor with law enforcement and prosecutorial groups than the ability of their constituents to fully reenter society.”

“There is a process for examining members of the jury pool for prejudice and fitness to serve, and for excusing those who are less likely to be fair,” the board wrote. “That’s the way it works with prospective jurors who are crime victims, lawyers, insurance adjusters, human resource managers, elected officials — any of whom might harbor some kind of prejudice based on their experiences or outlooks, and all of whom are subject to examination and dismissal where appropriate. They are not subject to blanket bans against being even considered for jury service, nor should they be. Neither should convicted felons who have done their time.”

Some argue a blanket ban is necessary because those who have broken the law severely enough to go to prison may not be qualified interpreters of the law. The Times did not address this, however, instead claiming that post-prison penalties like the ban are “spiteful and stupid.”

“We encounter former felons every day, working alongside us, driving next to us, living across the street,” the board wrote. “Once a sentence is completed a citizen should be able to fully return to the fold, with all rights — and duties — returned, consistent with public safety.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/11...-to-serve-on-juries/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I think ol' Charlie Manson is available for jury duty again.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2197 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“It takes one to know one.” The oldest wisdom of childhood.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If needed, I am to be judged by my peers. I don't consider criminal felons to be my peers, so no I don't want felons on juries. It's that simple.

The definition of peers: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/peers

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Its just a ploy to pack the jury and voter rolls with "D" folks. Remember, not all democrats are horse thieves, but all horse thieves are democrats (Horace Greely). Today, that has changed a bit. Because not all democrats are car thieves or robbers, but the vast majority of those are democrats.

We already elect enough thieves to office, who thinks the ones that can vote would elect those who would prosecute?

Next question, there are clearly repeat offenders who have a vested interest in less severe sentences or even their friends an coworkers getting off easy. Why would this be a good idea?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you expect, it’s C A L I F O R N I A, home of the liberal/crazies.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The idea does have some merit - but not as jurors.

Assign them as "detective" interns. Each crime solved reduces their sentence by 3 minutes.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe in restoring civil rights for felons. No guns, no voting, no holding office, jury, etc.

That idiot governor in Virginia tried it, the courts slapped him down for trying it en masse, so he sat around signing individual pardons for thousands and thousands of felons.

This is what happens when you vote for God Damned Commies.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Pointless, will never clear Voir Dire. Not a single one would ever be seated.

ETA yes it actually does have a point. Shows how fucking stupid the LA Times is.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21142 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I do not see a, legitimate, way to deprive someone of the right to be armed, once they have fully served their sentence, than there would be to deprive them of the freedom of speech or the right to practice their faith.

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
once they have fully served their sentence,

So fully served is the sentence given, or the time they get the early out. After having their death sentence commuted by a court, then released early due to good behavior. Remember, they're in there due to bad behavior.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If there is a more biased, less impartial potential juror than a former shitbird, I can't think of it.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
How about they start by hiring them to be on staff, writing "news" stories - couldn't be bigger works of BS then they already publish.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I do not see a, legitimate, way to deprive someone of the right to be armed, once they have fully served their sentence, than there would be to deprive them of the freedom of speech or the right to practice their faith.

They haven't fully served their sentence when they leave prison. Prison time is only part of a sentence.
After release from prison they also have parole/probation, possible fines, and a lifelong ban on things like voting and firearms possession as just another part of the sentence.
After they serve the lifelong part, they are welcome to reclaim their rights as many Chicago voters do. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9833 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Following the reasoning of the LA Times, why shouldn't they be able to vote and serve on juries while they are still in prison? Just because it's too inconvenient for the state?

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2164 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
If needed, I am to be judged by my peers. I don't consider criminal felons to be my peers, so no I don't want felons on juries. It's that simple.

THIS.

"Your honor. I demand a jury of my peers. I dont consider non-detained criminals as my peers."

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post