SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Replacing Windows - Renewal by Andersen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing Windows - Renewal by Andersen Login/Join 
posted
The marketing literature for these windows emphasizes the advantages of "Fibrex" material versus traditional "vinyl". Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Renewal replacement windows by Andersen?

https://www.renewalbyandersen..../replacement-windows

Posts: 205 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I considered using them but at least in this area the reviews were pretty negative.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/KBdvVrnAPN

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1490 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
We have them and really like them so far (just over a year). They replaced single pane aluminum framed windows from '73. Double the cost of economy vinyl ones, but the quality is there. Just make sure that you are very clear with them if you are expecting your old window frames to be removed (vs. their standard 'frame over' system). Make this clear to the sales person as well as the person who comes later to measures the windows.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have had their windows for about six years. They work well. I am a believer.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some very negative comments for sure, with only one comment with a positive experience - yikes!

quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
I considered using them but at least in this area the reviews were pretty negative.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/KBdvVrnAPN

Posts: 205 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a diploma in residential and commercial carpentry, and worked in the building materials production and sales industry for 20 years. I sold mid to high-end windows (Andersen, Marvin, Eagle etc) exclusively for 5 years. I didn't rep the Renewal line, however.

Regarding Fibrex and Ultrex (Marvin Integrity) are the real deal. Fiberglass is exponentially more dimensionally stable than vinyl, leading to stronger joints, and much lower stress induced on the insulated glass panels' seals in the sash. It also holds paint much better due to lower thermal expansion and contraction. How much those benefits may or may not mean to you is subjective, but the material really is that much better.

Posts: 1705 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. We're in a similar scenario - house built in '72 with single pane windows and aluminum frames, hot and humid climate in Central Florida.

quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
We have them and really like them so far (just over a year). They replaced single pane aluminum framed windows from '73. Double the cost of economy vinyl ones, but the quality is there. Just make sure that you are very clear with them if you are expecting your old window frames to be removed (vs. their standard 'frame over' system). Make this clear to the sales person as well as the person who comes later to measures the windows.

Todd

posted Hide Post
Great information - many thanks for taking the time to share.

quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
I have a diploma in residential and commercial carpentry, and worked in the building materials production and sales industry for 20 years. I sold mid to high-end windows (Andersen, Marvin, Eagle etc) exclusively for 5 years.

Fibrex and Ultrex (Marvin Integrity) are the real deal. Fiberglass is exponentially more dimensionally stable than vinyl, leading to stronger joints, and much lower stress induced on the insulated glass panels' seals in the sash. It also holds paint much better due to lower thermal expansion and contraction. How much those benefits may or may not mean to you is subjective, but the material really is that much better.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We had Anderson windows (not Renewal) put in a few years ago. All sliding sash plus a very large, 3-pane window (fixed in the middle, cranked casement on each side). A couple years before we had a large-ish Anderson bay window, with cranked casements on each side, installed. The windows are all working well.

I don't recall the models of the windows. The smaller ones, the sliding sash ones, are not their top-of-the-line, but they weren't Anderson's economy model, either. The big bow in front, and the big window in back, are, IIRC, of their higher-end line because of the size.

I think a large part of it is who you choose to do the work. We chose a well-known, established firm that's been in business in the area for quite a number of years.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have slowly but surely replaced our original windows (circa 1903) with Renewal by Anderson. We have several Anderson Windows we got from our local lumber yard. Do not be confused Anderson Windows and Renewal by Anderson are apparently two different companies. Get the Renewal by Anderson windows and you'll be more than pleased with the product and installation.

The one thing they could not do was use our original glass in their windows. I kinda miss the old distorted view through the original windows.

Hope this helps. WG

Posts: 782 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If they cost anything in the way their doors/entries do don’t even bother!
We bought our house and needed a new entry door, side lights, transom, the whole kit kit and kaboodle! They wanted close to $8,500!!!!!!!!!
I went with a custom guy locally and spent just over $4,000. Anderson said they could come down to $6,500. Roll Eyes

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anderson was 3x the price of the Marvin Ultrex. I love ours and they made a huge difference over the old vinyl ones.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Webly brings up a point that I have been pondering for a while.

My house was built in '29. Fifteen of the windows are original to the house, We have six sets of jalousie windows in one room that was added in the 40's and some original 50's windows in another addition. The original parts of the house has plaster interior walls, but little (if any) insulation.

Would it do any good to spend thousands on new windows without adding insulation? I think not. The character of the windows is irreplaceable, but the $400 summer month electric bills are getting to me.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gt_32750:
Great information - many thanks for taking the time to share.

quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
I have a diploma in residential and commercial carpentry, and worked in the building materials production and sales industry for 20 years. I sold mid to high-end windows (Andersen, Marvin, Eagle etc) exclusively for 5 years.

Fibrex and Ultrex (Marvin Integrity) are the real deal. Fiberglass is exponentially more dimensionally stable than vinyl, leading to stronger joints, and much lower stress induced on the insulated glass panels' seals in the sash. It also holds paint much better due to lower thermal expansion and contraction. How much those benefits may or may not mean to you is subjective, but the material really is that much better.

^^^^^This is one of the many reasons that I love this forum!

You're a wonderful group, gentlemen! God bless you!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
We bought our house and needed a new entry door, side lights, transom, the whole kit kit and kaboodle! They wanted close to $8,500!!!!!!!!!
I went with a custom guy locally and spent just over $4,000. Anderson said they could come down to $6,500. Roll Eyes

Over a couple of years I had all my windows replaced with the Renewal windows. So they are 10-12 years old and holding up well. No broken seals. Recently the one casement window had some of the weather stripping start to deteriorate and the crank handle broke. It was also really hard to crank, but I couldn't see how to lubricate the mechanism since it appears sealed from the inside. They came out and fixed it all for nothing.

The entry door comment above is interesting. When I was looking to get my entry door replaced later on, I remember the Renewal Anderson salesman admitted something to the effect that it's not their specialty and their prices are not competitive. I don't recall the quote but it was very, very expensive. I went with a Pella door instead.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 580 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My dad had some double doors replaced with Anderson. They were very expensive, but he is pleased with the quality.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

The entry door comment above is interesting. When I was looking to get my entry door replaced later on, I remember the Renewal Anderson salesman admitted something to the effect that it's not their specialty and their prices are not competitive. I don't recall the quote but it was very, very expensive. I went with a Pella door instead.

I kind of wondered if it was a we’ll quote you really high because we don’t want to do it. Apparently our transom is a very odd size. Pella said they would not even do it.
The local guy was a complete custom install.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post