SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Speak Russian?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Speak Russian? Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a translation from an old book.

"Salvation through the sublime and the beautiful"

I've seen it written several different ways and I don't understand which would be correct. None of the translation sites help and I've seen variations on the book itself.

спасение через возвышенного и прекрасного
спасение через возвышенном u прекрасном
спасение через возвышенное и прекрасное

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I,m rusty but:

salvation through rising and excellent

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nyet

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zingo,
What is the word following those two adjectives?
It is probably a noun.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Sorry, just know a couple words and phrases, such as "Don't shoot, I know secrets". Big Grin

Posts: 3938 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronsht:
Zingo,
What is the word following those two adjectives?
It is probably a noun.

That's the whole sentence. It's a Dostoevsky reference to a book written in 1757 by Edmund Burke. A Philosophical Enquiry into the Origin of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful.

In looking at Russian versions of the original book I've seen the word spelled both прекрасном and прекрасноro. The прекрасноe version is when I tried to figure it out with an online translator.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is NOT Russian.

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:

That is NOT Russian.

Well I guess we’re getting closer

Thanks Tac

Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
spaseniye cherez vozvyshennogo i prekrasnogo = salvation through the sublime and the beautiful

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Neechevo. Spacebo, Tovarisch.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both first and third translation versions are correct. The first version suggests religious content of the book ( The Sublime and The Beautiful refers to God). The second version is more neutral and refers to anything that can be called sublime and/or beautiful such as nature, music, etc.

The second translation is grammatically incorrect.

Posts: 516 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: October 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
My point was that the Roman letter 'u' does not exist in the Cyrillic alphabet.

In Russian, the short u' sound, like in 'put', looks like the Roman letter 'y'.

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

In some Cyrillic fonts “и” is shown as “u”.

Entering the Russian phrase as Zingo has written it does not generate any search result.
The three forms Zingo has are different conjugations of the same word “-ого”, “-ом”, and “-oе”.
Sorry, it’s been 25 years since I studied the grammar.

Posts: 18078 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
OP, would you like me to ask an honest-to-goodness Russian, living in Moscow?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I have a Russian(Ukrainian) at work.
If I can get a minute I'll get him to translate it.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39764 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post