SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stargazer frying pans don’t hold seasoning?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stargazer frying pans don’t hold seasoning? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
The photos in these SIGforum posts make me wonder.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...390054644#7390054644

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...970020305#4970020305

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...770040305#2770040305
ETA: scroll down a post for this one.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8995 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
No issues with mine. I'm not really seeing the problems in the images, either. It does seem to take more time; my carbon steel pans are almost black now, but my Stargazer isn't quite there yet. It's likely because the initial surface finish is smoother. The seasoning layer can be a bit more delicate, at least initially. Some of the images in those threads with metal spatulas made me cringe.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17297 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Re: “Some of the images in those threads with metal spatulas made me cringe.”

??? I use metal turners and VERY sharp metal spatulas in my cast iron pans all the time. They don’t hurt the seasoning at all. It’s quite durable.

This Dexter spatula is so sharp I need to keep an edge protector on it while not in use. It’s great for scraping seared smash burger patties off of my cast iron pan.

ETA: The seasoning in your pan looks better than I’ve seen in any other Stargazer. I should’ve mentioned that right off the bat.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8995 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have two Stargazer 10" skillets and have had no such problems.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yeah the carbon steel don’t turn black as quickly. But my Pam is slick to the touch. Better than I’ve had on cast iron.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a problem with Stargazer holding seasoning.

My problem with them is that they are thinner (too thin really) compared to my other skillets (Lodge and Le Creuset) and cook times vary too much.

Tradeoff for their lighter weight I guess.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
You posted one my pics and it's holding the seasoning fine. Every time it's used it just gets washed out with hot water and a sponge. I dry it, put on stove at low to be sure. Then I use Buzzy Wax, wiped down, cooked on low for 10 minutes and wiped out.

My 10" gets used a couple of times a week, even my wife has found uses for it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3405 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
My problem with them is that they are thinner (too thin really) compared to my other skillets (Lodge and Le Creuset) and cook times vary too much.

That's the first time I've ever come across such a comment about the Stargazer pans. For me they heat quickly and hold heat well and uniformly. No clue why you seem to be experiencing different.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^
Re: “Some of the images in those threads with metal spatulas made me cringe.”

??? I use metal turners and VERY sharp metal spatulas in my cast iron pans all the time. They don’t hurt the seasoning at all. It’s quite durable.

I know this logically, I’m just being picky and paranoid. Razz

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17297 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
All of the photos you referenced look fine.

It comes with a seasoning that isn't black like lodge or a few others, but is a light bronze in color. As you cook with it, the bottom usually blackens up first eventually (because of the heat and oil at the bottom), followed by the sides.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6090 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

That's the first time I've ever come across such a comment about the Stargazer pans. For me they heat quickly and hold heat well and uniformly. No clue why you seem to be experiencing different.

I’m experiencing something different because they are too thin for my preference of a thicker frying pan. That’s the clue.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Stargazers pans work great and I have had them for years. It takes awhile to turn black. I have never truly seasoned them like I did with my Lodge. The surface is always smooth as glass. So my question is does it matter if there is a polymer coating or is stick resistance just a matter of personal preference?

Posts: 105 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spudgun:
So my question is does it matter if there is a polymer coating or is stick resistance just a matter of personal preference?

You have a polymer coating through the cooking process. Am I misinterpreting your question?

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6090 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pan is smooth bare metal. No polymer coating. Seems to work fine.

Posts: 105 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
If the bottom of your pan is black, you have built up polymerized seasoning. If your pan came to you bronze in color, then it was pre-seaoned.

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture