SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    North Atlantic flights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Atlantic flights Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I’m watching an Air France flight carrying my son and d-i-l, the new Navy Captain, to her new duty station, on Flightradar24.

It is staggering to see how many planes there are heading to Europe tonight. Hundreds of them, maybe.

I’ve flown to Europe lots of times, never had the sensation that there were anything like that many.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:... Hundreds of them, maybe.

I’ve flown to Europe lots of times, never had the sensation that there were anything like that many.

Well, back in the WW 2...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey

Well, back in the WW 2...

World War Champs,

Back to Back!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Twice a day the North Atlantic region is the busiest airspace in the world. It’s absolutely crazy how many jets are crossing at any given time

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Crazy to think of the remoteness of it all and the complete lack of emergency landing spots. Not to mention a water temp in the 30's in the case of a water landing. Lots of human Popsicles.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I the late '80's in northern NJ looking up I started counting all the airplanes in my field of vision- at 28 airplanes I lost track of which ones I'd already counted.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I have Flightradar24 on my laptop and phone. I love looking at the flights all over the world. Kind of look like ants following each other.

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I recall crossing in the early 90s and the capt had posted a small map in the galley with the track (pretty cool for the time before Flight Tracker... or the Internet in all practicality). I was in biz class and noticed it on a bathroom trip. He'd marked where the Titantic was. We were well north of that.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm more-or-less under the Great Circle flight path for the upper half of the East coast. NYC and Boston for sure, probably Philly as well. At the right time of the day/week, 20 or 30 contrails is not unusual.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Crazy to think of the remoteness of it all and the complete lack of emergency landing spots. Not to mention a water temp in the 30's in the case of a water landing. Lots of human Popsicles.
Not necessarily true. Research ETOPS certification.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gliding along in a Super Connie must have been a near surreal experience.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like they are close together but there's a lot of space up there and it's three dimensional.
The proportional size of planes to map make it look busier too.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Here's a 24 hour look...

https://youtu.be/6pI77r3oAxw

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The north atlantic track system is the busiest routing in the world. It changes twice a day, with traffic moving east, then all traffic moving west; the tracks are built every day based on winds; the entire track system is organized and built every day. Track spacing over each waypoint must be within three minutes of the planned time, and typically is reported by voice or electronic means every 10 degrees of longitude. The changeover point is 30 degrees West.

There are also additional routes to the north called "blue spruce routes" and random routing crosses the tracks, usually for aircraft going the opposite direction.

I just came over on the tracks last night.

I lost track of the number of Atlantic crossings I've done. It may be of interest to note that it's still required to maintain a paper chart with markings in pencil to track, plot, and log the flight each direction.

Track spacing just got reduced again. Vertical spacing used to be 2,000' but is now 1,000, and it's standard to apply SLOP, or strategic lateral offset; one or two nautical miles left of course to build some "randomness" into the flight path. Navigation is so precise today that I've often had a ground proximity alert when passing over another aircraft, because the radio altimeter is getting a hit off the other aircraft. It's that exact.

Track spacing formerly was one degree, or sixty miles. Now it's 1/2 degree, which is 30 nautical miles. Standard emergency is turn off the course and parallel it by 15 miles; with the new spacing that means aircraft on adjacent tracks might meet. An additional problem is that the coding for nav waypoints, which must be programmed on every crossing as the tracks are built new every day (no standard routing or waypoints) on some navigation systems now show up with identical names for more than one waypoint; there have been a series of GNE, or Gross Naviagational Errors, when aircraft on the new half-degree spacing ended up on the one-degree points, where they shouldn't have been...flying on a parallel track. Given that aircraft are traveling with precise timing based on a constant speed (constant mach technique), and a nav error is timing over a waypoint of three minutes or more...it doesn't take a lot of error to create a major hazard. The tracks are extremely busy places.

12 such cross track 1/2 degree naming errors this year, I believe.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yup...it's amazing how busy airspace gets.

I don't even want to come close to being ETOPS certified/qualified. I have ZERO desire to be in an airplane that long unless I'm in 1st class with a fist full of Crown & Cokes. I'm probably gonna go stir-crazy working LAX-BOS. On the red-eye. Ugh...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation! Big Grin Since I have been made aware of Flightware site I watch it regularly, and have been amazed at the number of flights from LA, SF, LV, etc going east to various European locals, and viceversa. Also observe flights from China, Korea, etc. coming to the US. A lot of these are the various delivery carriers, FedEx, UPS, etc. I posted before about the balloon going west at 81,000 at 16 knots, which I believe you identified as a cell phone service.
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy: Skies over the Black Hills get busy and now I know about one area for tracks.
The north atlantic track system is the busiest routing in the world. It changes twice a day, with traffic moving east, then all traffic moving west; the tracks are built every day based on winds; the entire track system is organized and built every day. Track spacing over each waypoint must be within three minutes of the planned time, and typically is reported by voice or electronic means every 10 degrees of longitude. The changeover point is 30 degrees West.

There are also additional routes to the north called "blue spruce routes" and random routing crosses the tracks, usually for aircraft going the opposite direction.

I just came over on the tracks last night.

I lost track of the number of Atlantic crossings I've done. It may be of interest to note that it's still required to maintain a paper chart with markings in pencil to track, plot, and log the flight each direction.

Track spacing just got reduced again. Vertical spacing used to be 2,000' but is now 1,000, and it's standard to apply SLOP, or strategic lateral offset; one or two nautical miles left of course to build some "randomness" into the flight path. Navigation is so precise today that I've often had a ground proximity alert when passing over another aircraft, because the radio altimeter is getting a hit off the other aircraft. It's that exact.

Track spacing formerly was one degree, or sixty miles. Now it's 1/2 degree, which is 30 nautical miles. Standard emergency is turn off the course and parallel it by 15 miles; with the new spacing that means aircraft on adjacent tracks might meet. An additional problem is that the coding for nav waypoints, which must be programmed on every crossing as the tracks are built new every day (no standard routing or waypoints) on some navigation systems now show up with identical names for more than one waypoint; there have been a series of GNE, or Gross Naviagational Errors, when aircraft on the new half-degree spacing ended up on the one-degree points, where they shouldn't have been...flying on a parallel track. Given that aircraft are traveling with precise timing based on a constant speed (constant mach technique), and a nav error is timing over a waypoint of three minutes or more...it doesn't take a lot of error to create a major hazard. The tracks are extremely busy places.

12 such cross track 1/2 degree naming errors this year, I believe.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deregulation has made it easier to start-up an airline and as a passenger, to fly. Europe has an endless number of low-cost/budget carriers, virtually every country has a flag carrier and a handful of them have a few low-cost carriers. hanging around JFK and you see all sorts of airlines you've never even heard of, come to find out, JFK is their only US destination, as US law prohibits international carriers from flying domestic routes.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I don't even want to come close to being ETOPS certified/qualified. I have ZERO desire to be in an airplane that long unless I'm in 1st class with a fist full of Crown & Cokes. I'm probably gonna go stir-crazy working LAX-BOS. On the red-eye. Ugh...

I don't do ETOPS either; that's strictly for twin engine aircraft, and I fly with more. I'm not a big fan of long legs, but that's the job when I'm doing that job. I also do other work which is a lot more varied and hands-on, which helps.

You'll get used to the legs. LAX to Boston in an ERJ?

quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
I posted before about the balloon going west at 81,000 at 16 knots, which I believe you identified as a cell phone service.

I'm not aware of cell, though there probably will be; the ongoing program sponsored by Google involves wireless internet over large areas, via high altitude balloons. It's especially for remote areas. I suspect that like Google's other efforts, however, the primary purpose isn't to provide, but data mining.

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Deregulation has made it easier to start-up an airline and as a passenger, to fly. Europe has an endless number of low-cost/budget carriers, virtually every country has a flag carrier and a handful of them have a few low-cost carriers. hanging around JFK and you see all sorts of airlines you've never even heard of, come to find out, JFK is their only US destination, as US law prohibits international carriers from flying domestic routes.

Few of the low-cost carriers do Atlantic long distance routes. However, international flights arrive at other locations than JFK; it's one of many locations that receive flights, or from which foreign international flights depart.

The agreement for foreign carriage of passengers is international; that is to say, we can't fly to Europe and carry passengers on revenue flights between european locations within a country. That's called cabotage, and is part of international ICAO agreement. There are ways around that, however, when carrying for other operators under contract, and that does go on quite a bit.

The biggest single barrier to a foreign carrier operating domestically in the US, other than cabotage restrictions (which are dissolving around the world) is lack of gate space at many airports. It's difficult presently for a carrier to operate out of busy airports because there is nowhere for them to operate. Getting a place to enplane passengers is a very big commodity at places like JFK, LAX, ORD, etc, and it prevents many operators from getting their foot in the door. What they can do, however, is code sharing arrangements, which is why a Delta flight will also be Lufthansa, etc. Same flight, same aircraft, different flight numbers, different airlines, sharing a code.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
You'll get used to the legs. LAX to Boston in an ERJ?

Nah. About to go over to UAL and will be LAX or SFO based...hopefully LAX. Wink Did OMA-SAN in the ERJ once and thought we'd NEVER get there... Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post