SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have experience using a sun oven?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience using a sun oven? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
I stumbled onto something called a sun oven. Since propane, white gas and kerosene prices are about to go through the roof, a sun oven piqued my interest as an alternative cooking method. There are a lot of youtube videos on them, but I’d like to hear from someone who has experience using one for a while.
They look awful flimsy.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Ive read reviews and seen recipes. They do work but it's obviously not ideal, requires near constant sunlight and overall would be a last ditch effort for me, a Dutch oven over wood fire or buried coals would be way more proficient.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6326 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good way to culture bacteria.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17464 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
sun oven

I could see this working in some places. Phoenix and El Paso in July, sure. Seattle in January, probably not.

Posts: 17172 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Mrs. BB61 and I have one. We have also used ours to bake bread. And for the naysayers, the bread came out just fine. A large Lazy Susan would be nice to help keep it oriented towards the Sun which would help keep the temperature up and decrease cooking time. I’ve talked with people that have put theirs in a wheel barrel with low sides which they then use to rotate the oven as needed.

Their “newest” model is designed for North America. IIRC, as it has been a while since I’ve been on their website, the North American model has better insulation. I’d buy that one as it helps keep the temperature up in colder weather. Anyway, I see no reason why you could not cook up a “crockpot” dish quite easily in one. But keep in mind, this is a tool that you would be using for one meal a day - this is not a microwave so to speak. So if you are thinking of buying one for emergency preparedness, I would certainly pair it with other off-the-grid items like Dutch ovens, charcoal grills, gas stoves, etc.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
BB, you mentioned a North American model. Is that one of the All American brand models?
Does your oven use a little twin aperture device for correctly aiming the oven toward the sun for maximum exposure?
I understand that it’s not the equivalent of a microwave, but if it can get up to 400°F and cook a 3 lb. chicken in 1-1/2 hours, it should be able to warm up can goods etc. I’m just looking for a way to stretch my supply of propane when the next big hurricane comes through or whatever. That lazy susan idea sounds like it has merit. Thanks for the reply.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We have one and use it a fair bit. Works great.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29713 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have an older model and don’t remember any fancy aiming device. I simply aligned it and went for it.

Yes. The All American model is the one I was thinking about. It sounds like Darthfuster has good experience with his too. One thing I failed to mentioned, we did experiment with ours. We bought it more for emergency preparedness than to save $$$ with rising fuel costs. Thus we decided to practice with it before we really needed it. From what we learned, I would recommend you start out with basic food dishes before you get fancy. Our first loaf of bread was a little doughy as I couldn’t help checking it all the time.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad made one and it cooked up some nice ribs in a dutch oven inside. If I lived in a place that got more sun Id consider one.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Strambo, I hear that if you can see shadows, a sun oven will still work. You just have to allow for longer cook times.
I’m still intrigued with the idea of heating food, water for washing and such; especially if the grid goes down for an extended length of time.
If I can warm up some can goods and make cornbread with that thing I’ll be happy.