SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2nd Zumwalt destroyer launched
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2nd Zumwalt destroyer launched Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
This is one strange looking boat.

"BATH, Maine (AP) - The second in the U.S. Navy stealthy Zumwalt class of destroyers headed out to sea for the first time on Monday, departing from Navy shipbuilder Bath Iron Works for builder trials…"

www.houstonchronicle.com/news/...sea-for-12403979.php

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9477 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What it do?

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What it do?

We'll probably never know. That is how they will justify the cost.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
At least it's named for someone who deserved the honor.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they put the drain plug in....

And $20 Billion for 3 ships...? Way to think it through Navy...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Can you say "scope creep"? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
It shoot Ammo the Navy can't afford to buy.

http://www.popularmechanics.co...xcalibur-ammunition/

and a couple of small engineering problems.

http://www.nationalreview.com/...oyer-program-failure

Great Program

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6528 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The F-35 of the sea.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
At least it's named for someone who deserved the honor.

Amen!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They originally planned to build dozens of them, but then figured out that it would be too expensive, and the world changed away from them being useful for what they were supposed to do. But they spent all the money on R&D and tooling, so they figured they'd build a few. Except now all that R&D expense (and there was A LOT) has to be amortized over just three ships.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
It shoot Ammo the Navy can't afford to buy.

http://www.popularmechanics.co...xcalibur-ammunition/

and a couple of small engineering problems.

http://www.nationalreview.com/...oyer-program-failure

Great Program
Well, a second one makes sense, then!

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What it do?

It uses up resources we need elsewhere. Kind of like the Germans building battleships rather than submarines and panzers, or the Japanese building super-battleships rather than just about any useful object imaginable.

Hey, didn't those guys *lose* their wars? Could wasting resources have played a part?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2107 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s the over/under for this one to get towed back to port?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
They originally planned to build dozens of them, but then figured out that it would be too expensive, and the world changed away from them being useful for what they were supposed to do. But they spent all the money on R&D and tooling, so they figured they'd build a few. Except now all that R&D expense (and there was A LOT) has to be amortized over just three ships.

quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

yeah, I know. It's the big version of the Little Crappy Ship. Wink

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
How long before it hits a tanker?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
What it do?

It goes fast slowly, is stealthy except on radar, is cheap to operate except for the initial cost, overruns, munitions, fuel, sailors, repairs and upgrades, is unsinkable unless hit, and is incredibly reliable except for all the stuff that doesn't work. But it will get you promoted to Admiral if you are anywhere near it.

Go Navy!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
That be one strange looking vessel. Would have thought closer to the water would be more stealthy.

Posts: 4450 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Looks like another Merrimack doesn’t it?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Man from that angle it looks ugly. I think the designer worked in a sheetrock factory.

I just hope its not a waste of time and actually helps out the troops.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3944 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
What it do?

It goes fast slowly, is stealthy except on radar, is cheap to operate except for the initial cost, overruns, munitions, fuel, sailors, repairs and upgrades, is unsinkable unless hit, and is incredibly reliable except for all the stuff that doesn't work. But it will get you promoted to Admiral if you are anywhere near it.

Go Navy!
Sheeeeit, they prolly let the Admiral drive that Mofo!