SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help! My Keurig coffee maker went belly up
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! My Keurig coffee maker went belly up Login/Join 
posted
Got a Keurig coffee maker in early December and have loved it. I just waste to much when making a conventional pot.

Last night a "cup
finished, I noticed the sounds it made were a bit strange. Tried to use it this morning and it had the "add water" blue light error message. Water container is full. When you close the cover over the pod, it does not start blinking. Nothing happens.

I haven't pulled out the receipts, owners manual and all that stuff yet. Haven't checked on line. Six months is just too short for that damn thing to work!

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a faulty water level sensor.

My Keurig has been going strong for ~8 years, with minimal maintenance. (Just descaling and flushing the nozzle as needed.)

It's not the best coffee maker, but it's certainly the most convenient. I have a French press that I use when I have the time.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Our Farberware coffee maker died the other day and I found a Krups on sale at Fred Meyer for $35 after a coupon and a 15% store discount. Normal price is $80. So far it makes a pretty tasty cup of coffee.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We have had them replaced under warranty, no cost to us.

I don't remember for sure, but I believe that the warranty period for full replacement is one year.

If you got it in early December, it has been in service for less than six months, so you should be covered.

Sounds to me like the "thingy" (technical term, there) that senses the water level in the reservoir is malfunctioning.

Contact Keurig customer service. They will take care of you, but be prepared to experience a bit of aggravation when they read from their script, which starts with instructions to put a measuring cup under the spout and press the "go" button, then tell them how much hot water went into the cup. They do this because the most common problem is that one (or two) of the three little output tubes has become clogged.

Yeah, if you are getting no action at all (my last problem was a failed pump, so zero output), this is a stupid exercise, but that's how they'll probably start the trouble identification process.

Eventually, you'll get to the real problem and they will send you a replacement unit.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Call them up. They will take care of you. We had two replaced under warranty with a simple phone call and no returns required. While this does not bode well for their QC, it does suggest they care about their customers and want to make things right.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Mine started acting up (not brewing and making a strange noise)...just cutting it on and off with the power button did no good...it just resumed where it was when I restarted it...
I went on YouTube and searched and found this video...followed it and everything was reset and is back working as it should...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/a20_UKGMJXc

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
Their warranty is definitely excellent.

I got a freebee a while back that had screen issues. I worked with it for about a month before someone suggested calling them. So I did.

Told the lady I got it for free and what was up and as far as I knew was less than a year old. She said no problem, took my info and got a brand new on its way.

All I had to do was send the K cup holder back and she even emailed me a prepaid return label.

Definitely try the reset first but if it don't fix it, give them a call. Smile

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Was the water low when you first got the error?

If so you just need to "re-prime" the pump. On some earlier models that was a challenge, tips abound on Google.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12453 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Quick possible fix:
Beat on the top, hard, with a flat hand. That's per their customer service. It can free a stuck valve or sensor.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called Kurig and spoke to one of their help people. They asked if I had made hot chocolate with it. Replied affirmative. They said run a flushing/rinsing cup of water through it and you will be good to go. Did that and it works fine.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Love an efficient customer service resolution.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget to clean it with water & white vinegar now & then. See owner’s manual.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post