SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me buy a torque wrench
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me buy a torque wrench Login/Join 
posted
I’ve gotten great advice here in the past, so I’m back again. I need to buy a torque wrench. It won’t be used everyday, but I do most of the maintenance and some repairs on my truck and wife’s Tahoe and need to invest in one. I don’t think I can justify Snapon or another high dollar tool but don’t want a POS that’s inaccurate and will only work a couple times before it breaks. Looking for recommendations for a middle of the road 3/8” drive (I think) that’s accurate and durable if there’s such a thing.

Thanks in advance,

CT

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
No matter what you go with, keep in mind the following:

"Bar" is almost always accurate, but requires "discipline" to use. (you must be diligent to apply smooth and deliberate force when using it).

"Click" style are "easier", but you must make sure they are calibrated, and verified withing the applicable calendar date, and if they are dropped or otherwise compromised with calibration, you must get them verified again.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43908 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
CDI makes snap ons click type wrenches. They are priced pretty well and are well made.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Try "proto"

Posts: 1570 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Get a Precision Instruments split-beam torque wrench and don't look back. I have their 3/8" and 1/2" drive models w/ flex heads. They cost less than comparable high-end TWs. They have comparable if not better accuracy. They are more durable and hold calibration much better than micrometer TWs. You can change torque setting much faster. The only significant disadvantage I can think of is they only work in clockwise direction.

If you're willing to buy used, you can find great deals on them on ebay and elsewhere. I bought mine at pawn shops. I tested them against my floating beam TWs, and they were right on the money. Since they're much less popular than micrometer style, you can often find them deeply discounted, i.e., well under $100.

Snap-on offers split-beam TWs, but they're simply rebranded Precision Instruments models at twice the price.

If you want torque wheel lug nuts, you'll probably need a 1/2" drive model in addition to 3/8".

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You'll need several; start with a 3/8 drive. You'll want one in inch pounds for small items, and one in foot pounds up to at least 250 for larger items.

Never use the torque wrench to loosen a fastener. Turn only to tighten. Make a continuous turn until it clicks (get an electronic one or a wrench that clicks).

You absolutely can get a good snap-on or Mac wrench for a good price: it just won't be new off the truck. Ebay will yield all kinds of deals, even today; I've had several torque wrenches from there. I've not had one fail calibration yet.

A torque wrench is a precision instrument. Don't buy cheap. Harbor freight does not sell torque wrenches; they sell beater bars that are meant to look like torque wrenches. Don't use them.

I have torque wrenches with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive; you can get by for most projects with 3/8.

There will be a number of applications that will take crows feet or torque adapters. If you use them, make sure the attachment is facing 90 degrees to the wrench, or you'll need to do the math to get the correct calculation on the wrench. Get some decent extensions.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
http://www.hotrod.com/articles...rque-wrench-testing/

I would buy a set of Harbor Freight torque wrenches and call it done. They're probably good enough for most non professionals as long as you take care of them.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for eBay as a source. I got a Proto, 1/2” drive for a very good price, hardly used. Excellent tool.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Don't use them to loosen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought a couple of Snap-On torque wrenches off of e-bay. They were older models but I sent them to Snap-On for calibration and still came out better than if I bought them new.

Posts: 4983 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
We use these at work.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

They work for what we need. Nothing more, nothing less.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've had great service out of my Kobalt (Lowes) torque wrenches. I have the 1/2" and 3/8".

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I have a smaller CDI (dial) that's pretty good (use that one when I need inch pounds) and have been quite happy with the Husky (Home Depot) 3/8 and 1/2 inch (click) torque wrenches. The 1/2" I just purchased before memorial day because I needed to hit 155 foot pounds (strut replacement on my fiancee's Camry).

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
CDI. Cool

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
http://www.hotrod.com/articles...rque-wrench-testing/

I would buy a set of Harbor Freight torque wrenches and call it done. They're probably good enough for most non professionals as long as you take care of them.

PSA, I read the article and what I did not realize is the importance of setting the TW back to zero after use. I probably should read instructions. So my two TW are probably close to useless now. I need to go look but i bet I stored them set. Fortunately they are inexpensive HF.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Harbor Freight for the casual user. I have seen more than one comparison that proved them plenty accurate.

As noted... just set to zero when done.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
CDI for frequent use

Capri if you are on a budget

Sometimes you can score a matching breaker bar for cheap.

Breaker bar is a must-have that is often overlooked.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I've had great service out of my Kobalt (Lowes) torque wrenches. I have the 1/2" and 3/8".
Always been pleased with my 1/2" Kobalt. Lowe's was the 3rd store I went to, and I liked the Kobalt better than HD's Husky and Sears' Craftsman.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're torquing anything of value, don't use harbor freight.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home Depot has a good torque wrench. They changed the rubber handle, but I believe the rest of it is the same.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post