SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For tech-weary Midwest farmers, 40-year-old tractors now a hot commodity
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For tech-weary Midwest farmers, 40-year-old tractors now a hot commodity Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The lake I live on owns a dredging machine with a JD engine. The operator told me when a technician came to fix problem, it had 100 problem codes. It was about a year or two old at that point.

Posts: 7518 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
One of the main reasons I bought the tractor I did (Kubota L2501) is because it squeaks by just under the size requiring all the fancy electronics and a DPF, in Kubota's case DPF with periodic regeneration, some other brands just run it extra hot all the time.

I wish they'd reintroduce heavy duty, low rpm, high torque, gasoline engines in tractors again.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7170 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I've always been amazed at the dairy farmer I know, who at this point is probably only technically a farmer, probably just enough to keep the county from changing his tax rate and keep any subsidies... anyway. It's always amazed me at the many many hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe million dollars worth of equipment it takes, to just barely scratch out a living.

I have cousins in the mega-dairy business. Talking to them some years back and the eldest said "We go through X million dollars a year. Just which some of it would stick to our hands."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15326 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Most heavy equipment is this way now. It’s a major pain to deal with sometimes. The average mechanic can’t do much with these machines. You’re obligated to use the dealer’s service department and they aren’t cheap. Some of the technology is very nice and useful but some is pure garbage. However the machine is more environmentally friendly since it uses a couple gallons less diesel per day.
I’ve been looking for a newer excavator but won’t buy anything newer than 2012 and probably a little older. The only issue is others feel the same way and it’s driving prices up on these older machines. The local JD dealer told me they aren't getting any trade-ins now because people are hanging onto their stuff or selling privately.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1896 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedmd:
.....However the machine is more environmentally friendly since it uses a couple gallons less diesel per day.

Ummm not always because many of the new tier 4 diesels need run at higher rpm (requiring more fuel) all the time otherwise they end up into frequent regen (uses more fuel). This isn't too much of a problem when your application requires max rpm and power like running a mower because you're at full throttle anyway. But for many other tasks like loader work or working on your driveway with a blade, etc., having to run the tractor close to full power and rpm just wastes fuel and makes more noise.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7170 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by armedmd:
.....However the machine is more environmentally friendly since it uses a couple gallons less diesel per day.

Ummm not always because many of the new tier 4 diesels need run at higher rpm (requiring more fuel) all the time otherwise they end up into frequent regen (uses more fuel). This isn't too much of a problem when your application requires max rpm and power like running a mower because you're at full throttle anyway. But for many other tasks like loader work or working on your driveway with a blade, etc., having to run the tractor close to full power and rpm just wastes fuel and makes more noise.

Very true. My big Kubota is tier 4 unfortunately so I have to run a minimum of 1800 rpm regardless of what I’m doing.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1896 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The lake I live on owns a dredging machine with a JD engine.

John deere makes engines ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54861 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Deere Engine Works, Waterloo IA. Over 2M built as of 2013.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that meant as a trick question or perhaps a setup? JD makes and sells engines for many applications in all kinds of sizes on all kinds of equipment. I've one in my chipper. I live in a coastal fishing town and there a zillion of them in boats. So not exactly sure your point?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11052 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post