SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    3 Questions for my SUV (tint and battery)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 Questions for my SUV (tint and battery) Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Okay, getting the key and hitch thing settled.

Next three things for which recommendations would be appreciated:

1) I'm leaning toward a Pelican case that will fit behind the 3rd row seat for placing items I'd normally put into a trunk (ie - my laptop, other things). I'd use a bike lock to fasten it to one of the D-loops in the floor and then padlock or something for the case lid. A little cumbersome and tedious. But makes it just one step longer for thieves. I need the storage space in the back so I can't affix something permanent. Any other recommendations?

2) Battery charger: I'm not going to driving this daily. Just once in awhile. It'll probably sit in the garage mostly. I've heard that the battery dies after about 1-2 weeks. I'll likely drive it once a week (short trip) so I'm thinking a battery charger might be good. Sound good or I should do something different? If good, then any recommendations on a SAFE charging system (no fires, no explosions). I'm looking at these (seem to be popular) but no idea what to look for in brand, model, features.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery...RA9C226J9PJBYPDSAD3S

https://www.amazon.com/Schumac...%2Cp_72%3A2661618011

https://www.amazon.com/Schumac...%2Cp_72%3A2661618011

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G3...%2Cp_72%3A2661618011

3) Window Tint: I want 3M Crystalline. It's worked well on my sedan. But the price quotes were shocking. Anybody install this on your SUV? What ballpark price (w/in the last few years?) did you see? I'm seeing more than 2-3x for vs my sedan.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A Pelican case in a Lexus SUV will be almost irresistible to a thief.

I use "Battery Tender Jr" maintainers on my vehicles that don't get driven frequently. They've been great.

There's probably 2-3x the square inches of glass in the SUV compared with the sedan.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Okay, keep thinking about secure storage. Pelican itself is enticing.

Battery Tender sounds good to go.

Tinting 2-3x of my car sounds about ballpark. Sigh. This car is gonna be $$$. Smile

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you wanna live good, it's gonna cost ya.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Battery Tenders(7 of them currently) for many years and have zero reason to change.....they get the job done.

I have had many car windows tinted, as I live in So. Az. and it is almost "required" here. I have never owned an SUV.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
an idea for storage on a SUV that I have done in the past is to build a Box in the cargo area that is the same size as the cargo area. Carpet the top to look like the floor. People looking in see empty floor space.

something like this http://www.consoles.com.au/cargo_false.htm

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm on a trip I typically drive my Tundra once a week max, frequently it sits for 3 weeks at a time. I've never needed a battery tender for it.

I have an older car that gets driven much less frequently, sometimes it sits for several months, and it definitely draws the battery down. I use the battery tender in your first link for that one and it does an excellent job.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the Battery Tenders for a number of years on conventional lead/acid batteries but if I recall you were putting an AGM battery in. If so check as to what voltage they need to be charged to attain full charge. I am pretty sure the BT falls a bit short for this type of use. I know guys on the 4Runner forum have been installing a voltage booster accessory to bring the battery to full charge from the alternator when they install AGMs. I do not know if that accessory has any bad effects on other parts of the vehicle. If you haven't got an AGM yet seriously consider staying with the conventional lead/acid battery and just figure you will have to replace it in 7 years.

Read this thread and then decide.http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/217754-charging-agm-batteries.html

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I don't know what AGM batteries are and what I have, especially the SUV. The SUV engine compartment is almost completely covered. I need to take the covers off to take a look around.

Batteries - I usually buy whatever they carry at Costco unless the SUV will require something special.

I wish the SUV had some sort of cover for the rear area. Even cheap hatchbacks seem to have them, not sure why this car doesn't come with one (would even expect it to be powered Smile).

The floor thing looks interesting but the problem is the unremovable 3rd row seats.

I'm looking to safes, under bed rifle safes and such to see if can have it removably bolted to the floor or fastened to the D-loops from the inside.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Floor storage in the cargo area that's accessible from inside and via the cargo hatch is best, like 4-6" deep and the size of the whole floor so it's flush and hidden, lots of examples in 4x4 forums. Hardware that's used for boats and such will give you flush handles, keyed locks, etc, and heavy duty sliders can give you drawers sturdy enough for long guns and ammo, and it otherwise looks just like the carpeted floor in back, even more hidden if it's under a rubber insert like a weather tech if you want.

The key is access from the inside, so you can safely and covertly stow it or retrieve it, even if it was in the passenger seat or behind you or something during travel, or locked up when you return from shopping, otherwise having to get out, and open up the back, just to stow/retrieve it is to obvious and disadvantageous.

No snatch and grabs with this message that's for sure. I do like the console mounted simplex vaults for simple edc items.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ah, just saw the unremovable 3ed row seats part, that complicates things.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
I think if you "camouflage" more valuable items in something like below (put your laptop/case in it, etc.), you're not as likely to draw attention...'looks like what you'd keep regular "trunk stuff" in. And it can be locked and cabled-down to at least slow down a smash and grab.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubberm...ubbermaid+tough+tote

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean by "unremovable 3rd row seats". Anything is removable if you truly want it to be.

If you need to have the option of the third row, you could build a false floor that is removable. That will have the same security as the pelican case without the temptation aspect to passer-bys. MDF and carpet will still be cheaper than the case would.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Battery tender.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Instead of the Pelican case look for a job box. Knack has steel boxes that you can lock. I used one in my SUV for years when I worked construction. I kept my tools in it and it would take a hell of an effort to remove it or break into it. Not sure of the security of the Pelican.

This one might fit your bill well:
http://www.knaack.com/en/view/...e%20Storage/Chest/42

Harbor Freight has a great battery tender for about $5. I used it for a long time on a classic Impala I had. always kept the battery ready to go.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Fantastic suggestion!!!!

This might fit between the rear door and the third row seat. I'll talk to a police vehicle outfitter shop to see if they can do a removable lock down for when I need to haul something.

http://www.knaack.com/en/view/...Specialty%20Chest/28

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I use a NOCO Genius battery charger on a car that I drive for a week or two at a time a few times a year. Works great.

Some reviews I read indicated that a basic tender wasn't a good idea if you were leaving it on for months at a time.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Batteries do not die at a serious rate unless you have some strange parasitic load. there is no need for a tender on a battery for weeks. Once you get to months I'd do something otherwise its silly.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
The Pelican case probably isn't the most secure idea. How big is what you're looking to store? I've got a Tuffy console insert in my F-150 that I've been happy with. Check with Tuffy or Console Vault and see if anything is available for your vehicle. Another idea would be a locking mini vault under the seat provided there's room.

Not sure with your intended use if you need to go the battery tender route. I've got a multi charge in the back of my truck that I can jump it off of or charge other things if needed. A good idea to have in the truck anyway, especially if you intend to go off roading.

Something like this,

https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck...battery+jumper&psc=1

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11773 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post