SIGforum
Can any (Florida) Snowbirds answer a car registration question??

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5990011554

March 30, 2019, 06:35 PM
kramden
Can any (Florida) Snowbirds answer a car registration question??
I live in Wis., my main residence. I just bought a home in Florida. My question is about leaving a car in Florida to use when I'm there. Can I register it there even though I'm a non-resident? I don't want to drive back and forth. Also Wis. has the emissions test due every 2 years so I'd have to drive it back every 2 years just for that. Not sur of the best way to go here.
March 30, 2019, 07:02 PM
V-Tail
One of my friends has "dual citizenship" in Virginia and here in Florida.

He opted to make Florida his official residence. No state income tax here. Lower cost for vehicle registration.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
March 30, 2019, 09:17 PM
h2oys
We have neighbors who live part time here in MO and also part time at their other home in FL. They register their cars in FL as it's quite cheaper to do so.
March 30, 2019, 10:09 PM
jimmy123x
Yes you can register it here. You ought to make Florida your homestead as it's much cheaper here and no state tax. You only need to spend 138 days in Florida. 180 days outside of most states like VA. So if you travel some and spend almost 5 months in Florida you're set.

www.myflorida.gov will have the care registration info on it.

Here:
https://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqmotor.html#3
March 30, 2019, 11:58 PM
Edmond
Are you buying a car here or bringing one?

Either way, you're going to get screwed.

Buy one here and most dealerships are charging $700 for "dealer fees" because the state has no limits on what a dealer can charge.

Bring one here and the county tax assessor hits you for $400 to get FL plates no matter the age of the car. Couple of years ago when I registered a 2003 Honda Civic, it was $400.

Lots of people here keep their out of state plates probably because of how expensive it is to switch. Lots of NY/NJ people here. I think state law is that you're supposed to switch within 10 days but I doubt it's enforced very much.

March 31, 2019, 04:20 AM
trapper189
Yes, you can register your car in Florida.

As far as income tax, Wisconsin will still wants their cut on wages earned in Wisconsin.
March 31, 2019, 06:49 AM
cne32507
Go here: How do I register a vehicle if I am out of state?, and download the "license plate rate chart"pdf. There appears to be a $225 initial fee to bring a car to FL.
March 31, 2019, 09:59 AM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Go here: How do I register a vehicle if I am out of state?, and download the "license plate rate chart"pdf. There appears to be a $225 initial fee to bring a car to FL.
Correct, any new registration in FL requires $225 initial fee, plus registration fees.

Also, if you buy a car out of state and don't pay taxes on it, you will have to pay FL state taxes on it - but if you did already pay taxes on it, you won't have to pay again. Since FL sales taxes are on the high end, paying them out of state is likely a better choice if you are able to.
March 31, 2019, 11:34 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Are you buying a car here or bringing one?

Either way, you're going to get screwed.

Buy one here and most dealerships are charging $700 for "dealer fees" because the state has no limits on what a dealer can charge.
Not every dealer does that. Of the last three cars I bought, two dealers -- Sonny King Orange Buick / GMC, and Mullinax Ford -- both make a big deal of stating that they do not charge any dealer fee. The third one, David Maus Toyota, when the finance guy handed us the paperwork to sign, I crossed the dealer fee out, handed it back to him, and told him to re-do it. He said he couldn't, I stood up, said to my wife, "Let's go."

Finance guy said that the charge had to stay on, but he would reduce the selling price of the vehicle by that amount. OK, same effect, so we bought the vehicle.

My point is, you can either find a dealer who does not charge the bullshit fee, or you can get hard-nosed and refuse to pay it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
March 31, 2019, 11:43 AM
jimmy123x
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Correct, any new registration in FL requires $225 initial fee, plus registration fees.

Also, if you buy a car out of state and don't pay taxes on it, you will have to pay FL state taxes on it - but if you did already pay taxes on it, you won't have to pay again. Since FL sales taxes are on the high end, paying them out of state is likely a better choice if you are able to.

The $225 fee is for the license plate itself. If you then a year or two down the road (or whenever) sell the car you're currently registering, and buy another car and register it in FL you don't pay the $225 again, just a minor transfer fee.
March 31, 2019, 12:07 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

The $225 fee is for the license plate itself. If you then a year or two down the road (or whenever) sell the car you're currently registering, and buy another car and register it in FL you don't pay the $225 again, just a minor transfer fee.

"Why am I paying a $225 fee for "new wheels?" This is not a new car. The term "initial registration" is confusing - The term "new wheels" does not appear in the law. Section 320.072, Florida Statutes, requires a fee of $225 to be imposed upon the initial application for registration on certain motor vehicle registration transactions. Whether the vehicle is new or used doesn't matter. Basically, the fee is due on any private-use automobile, any lightweight truck, or any motor home unless the vehicle being registered is a replacement for a vehicle that has been disposed in the same category of vehicles."

$225 is listed as an 'additional fee' plus the "Annual Tax and Other Fees", registration.
March 31, 2019, 12:19 PM
jimmy123x
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

"Why am I paying a $225 fee for "new wheels?" This is not a new car. The term "initial registration" is confusing - The term "new wheels" does not appear in the law. Section 320.072, Florida Statutes, requires a fee of $225 to be imposed upon the initial application for registration on certain motor vehicle registration transactions. Whether the vehicle is new or used doesn't matter. Basically, the fee is due on any private-use automobile, any lightweight truck, or any motor home unless the vehicle being registered is a replacement for a vehicle that has been disposed in the same category of vehicles."

$225 is listed as an 'additional fee' plus the "Annual Tax and Other Fees", registration.

Yes, the fee is for the LICENSE PLATE itself. If you then sell the car (disposed of) and transfer the tag to another vehicle, you do not pay the $225 fee again, the license plate then transfers to a different vehicle and you just pay a minor transfer fee.

"Initial Registration fee
This is charged when applicant does not have a Florida registration to transfer.
$225.00"

"Transferring a license plate from another vehicle
$7.35"

In laymens terms. If Kamden registers his vehicle here in Florida it will cost $225 and they will give him a license plate. If at any point in the future Kamden sells that vehicle and buys another vehicle and registers it in Florida, he will take the license plate from the old vehicle and the same license plate will go on the new vehicle (whether the new car is new or used doesn't matter) and Kamden will pay a $7.35 transfer fee. (The license plate fee or initial registration which includes the license plate is the same $225 for Florida residents also). We don't have an annual tax or property tax fee on vehicles here in Florida. Just a simple registration renewal fee which is pretty cheap, usually $20-40 a year on a car. The $225 applies for a tag for a car or normal truck. For a boat trailer a new tag/initial registration is $100 and for a motorcycle even less.

I've lived in Florida for 40 years, owned 2 used car lots and sold cars for a new car dealer, and have owned many different cars, all in Florida
March 31, 2019, 06:35 PM
cne32507
As to the sales tax: Bring your bill of sale that shows you paid sales tax somewhere (Wisconsin).
April 01, 2019, 05:51 PM
kramden
I want to buy a used car in Florida and keep it there. If I register it in Wis. I'll have to take it back to Wis. every 2 years for an emissions test. I prefer to leave a car in Florida and just fly back and forth. OR..... I wonder if I can buy one in Wis. Drive it there (Florida) then eventually just transfer the registration to Florida??
April 01, 2019, 06:53 PM
doublesharp
I kept a GMC Safari mini van as a Fl condo car for several years. I bought it in Indiana and transferred registration to Fl. This was 25 years ago and the impact fee was about $100. Insurance is kinda salty in Florida and my Indiana ins does not cover a car registered in another state.

April 05, 2019, 06:17 AM
kramden
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I kept a GMC Safari mini van as a Fl condo car for several years. I bought it in Indiana and transferred registration to Fl. This was 25 years ago and the impact fee was about $100. Insurance is kinda salty in Florida and my Indiana ins does not cover a car registered in another state.
So you are able to title a car to your Florida address even though your main residence is in another state?
April 05, 2019, 08:10 AM
doublesharp
Yes, I expect it is law that you get a Fl tag after car is in state for a certain length of time. Could you make Fl your homestead and claim residency?

Snowbird home insurance is pricy as is vehicle ins and your prop taxes are not capped w/out homestead exemption. If you should let your vehicle ins
expire the ins co will notify bmv and you will be required to turn in your license plate.

April 05, 2019, 09:09 AM
Skull Leader
Question regarding sales tax paid in another state.

I live in MT. No sales tax in this state, but they rape you on registration every year. My 2010 Tundra cost me $400 a year for about 7 or 8 years before it finally cost less.

How does FL take that into account? Or would I just be F'ed.
April 05, 2019, 01:58 PM
doublesharp
I don't claim to be an expert but I have titled out of state boats and cars in Fl that were already titled in my name in Indiana. Never any mention of sales tax just the impact fee on cars and then the registration and tag fee. I don't recall paying an impact fee on boats or trailers.

As far as your case SL, I'd expect the sales tax issue to be moot since truck is titled in your name. Sales tax is ancient history on a truck you've owned 9 years.

April 05, 2019, 02:13 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Yes, I expect it is law that you get a Fl tag after car is in state for a certain length of time. Could you make Fl your homestead and claim residency?

Snowbird home insurance is pricy as is vehicle ins and your prop taxes are not capped w/out homestead exemption. If you should let your vehicle ins
expire the ins co will notify bmv and you will be required to turn in your license plate.
Florida's minimum insurance requirement is PIP (Personal Injury Protection). Pretty cheap, but I would not advise getting only this coverage.

However, you can probably get a policy that can be put to sleep, for the months that the vehicle is in dead storage while you are living in your primary residence in another state.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים