SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    St. Louis Police Announce Sale of Vintage Tommy Guns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

St. Louis Police Announce Sale of Vintage Tommy Guns Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Sale of the Century: St. Louis Police Announce Sale of Vintage Tommy Guns
Posted at 2:52 pm on May 30, 2017 by Beth Baumann

Christian Gooden St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Christian Gooden, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The St. Louis Police Department is selling 27 Thompson submachine guns, some of which date back to the 1920s. The Thompson submachine guns, known as Tommy guns, were decommissioned by the police department in the 1950s and have been stored in the police academy’s basement ever since. During the 1920s and early 30s, the Tommy gun was the weapon of choice for the gangsters. Down the road, the FBI eventually carried the firearms.

Money raised from the vintage firearms’ sale will be used to help purchase a handful of AR-15s and 1,525 new 9mm Beretta handguns. In 2014, the department’s collection was appraised at $777,000.

The funds from these 27 firearms will cover the first shipment of firearms, which are expected to arrive in August. The second shipment will be paid for by selling the Beretta handguns and other firearms the department is currently using.

“The original reason to sell the weapons was to purchase new duty weapons, and we did so well on the sale, we will be able to purchase rifles as well, by our own actions without using any budget money,” Carol Shepard, the police department’s purchasing procurement manager, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “That was the most important thing for us. We made our own money to take care of our own problem.”

Midwest Distributors is purchasing each of the 27 Tommy guns for $22,000 apiece, for a total of $618,500. Bill Hicks & Co. is purchasing 1,748 Beretta handguns for $221 apiece, for a total of around $597,000.

The St. Louis Police Department is keeping two of the Tommy guns to display in their crime lab.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/l...11-cdd498cf8ecd.html

Posts: 8741 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder how this would fly in Atlanta with their recent gun buyback. Maybe if they advertised them as Chicago typewriters?

Posts: 17578 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
"Decommissioned?" Do they still go pew? Pew pew pew pew pew pew pew? $22,000 each I would have to guess the latter. If I moved back to St. Louis I would most certainly sleep better with a full auto Tommy gun.

"I believe ya, BUT MY TOMMY GUN DON'T!"

Posts: 2610 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bring a pocket full of money.

Posts: 7130 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Which Beretta pistols are they getting?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10757 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Tommy guns are overrated.
Cocking knob is miniscule and they are HEAVY.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, this chaps me as a former STL citizen. The sale of these years ago could have financed more officers. STL needs more boots on the ground, not more AR15s. Every car already had a 9mm carbine in them already. You don't hear stories of underarmed officers losing shootouts in STL, you hear cries of not enough officers in the right place. I could be wrong, but if you ask an officer which he would rather have, an AR or backup, I'm guessing he would rather have backup.

Posts: 2610 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The 9mm carbine is nothing more than a shoulder fired pistol. I'm sure officers probably wouldn't want one or the other. Likely a mixture of both.

It is also possible that the sales from the guns could only be used to buy weapons/armor/equipment. It is the way that it is here.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37214 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Also, this chaps me as a former STL citizen. The sale of these years ago could have financed more officers. STL needs more boots on the ground, not more AR15s. Every car already had a 9mm carbine in them already. You don't hear stories of underarmed officers losing shootouts in STL, you hear cries of not enough officers in the right place. I could be wrong, but if you ask an officer which he would rather have, an AR or backup, I'm guessing he would rather have backup.

Assuming 50k year in salary plus benefits and equipment, that cash would pay for less than 10 officers for 1 year with no way to fund them next year.

Posts: 881 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A pre-war Thompson gun is as cool as it gets. There are other sub-guns that are better, but none are a beautiful or as cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53254 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDSigManiac:

Assuming 50k year in salary plus benefits and equipment, that cash would pay for less than 10 officers for 1 year with no way to fund them next year.

I hear ya. Maybe more overtime? I don't know. I just don't get them sitting on them all these years. Kudos to them doing something about them now. I am impressed they and their service pieces weren't Captain Crunch'ed to "keep guns off the streets."

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
$22K each? They must be fully transferable, and WORKING (not decommissioned) machine guns.

If they are wall hangers, they would bring $500.

If they are LEO only, non transferable, they are worth, what, maybe a grand?

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They are transferrable.

It appears that they also have a pair of Lewis machine guns, which they are not selling. (It's not clear in the article I've read whether the Lewis guns are transferrable.)

Here are a couple photos of some of their Thompsons and one of their Lewis guns.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
$22K each? They must be fully transferable, and WORKING (not decommissioned) machine guns.

If they are wall hangers, they would bring $500.

If they are LEO only, non transferable, they are worth, what, maybe a grand?

Ya 22k is a lot of money. But they are antiques! Historical!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24683 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, this chaps me as a former STL citizen. The sale of these years ago could have financed more officers.
I hate to break it to you, but the $618K for those Thompsons would not have covered the cost of even one cop for a 20 year career. Hell, it wouldn't even cover one cop for 10 years.

If you're inclined to look at the salary of a cop in STL, and then tell me I'm wrong, keep in mind there are a lot more costs associated with employing one person than just their salary.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
I like the episode of The Untouchables. Dude walked into a Chicago area drug store and wanted to buy the .45ACP pistol in the window. Clerk asks for pistol permit but he don't have one. Clerk proceeds to sell him a Tommy Gun instead.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I had the chance to shoot an original Thompson.
I have lusted since that day for one. My number one grail gun.
22K..... Frown

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16410 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

"I believe ya, BUT MY TOMMY GUN DON'T!"

Big Grin Home Alone

The Tommy guns look to be in very good shape! Wish they were $2200 and not $22K. Eek

Posts: 10062 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Since I broke my moratorium on posting, I will place hold this for thoughts....

This is not the first time this was tried... and not the first time they tried to get ARs. And they NEED them.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post