SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microwaving Corn on the Cob...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microwaving Corn on the Cob... Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
This thread reminded me that it's about time to post the annual how to nuke corn on the cob vid. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post Jim. I actually forgot that veggies can be cooked quite well with a microwave. In fact I read this in a short article, makes sense...

"In a food science class I took a few years ago — a lab-based class held in a large teaching kitchen — the professor forbade the use of microwaves, though there was one at every station. “I just don’t feel they are safe,” she told us.

Seriously? This instructor had a master’s of science degree, which says something about how widespread the fear and prejudice against microwave ovens are, and how deep the emotions run. But the truth is that cooking in microwaves is not only perfectly safe, it is one of the best ways to cook vegetables to preserve their nutrients.

When it comes to cooking vegetables, exposure to heat causes the breakdown of some nutrients, such as vitamin C. Certain types of nutrients are also water-soluble, which means they leach out of the vegetables and into the cooking water. So you retain the most nutrients by cooking vegetables quickly and limiting their contact with water."

I remember that I read someplace that boiling vegetables, not only does the vitamins and nutrients leach out, you were better off drinking the water and eating the veggies just for the fiber content, other than eating a lot of fruits.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So really the best use of a nuke oven is cooking popcorn. Its just a well established fact. Most anything else is just rubbish, pushed by food freaks to make them look respectable. I thought Shugart was going to show us how to pop corn on the cob. It'd save effort of shelling the darn things.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
If Shugart posts it, it's a trick.
I'm going to stick to the hot water method.
Nice try Shugart! Razz

I have tried the nuke method and the kernals didn't seem to soften like the boil method and as the cook, I have people (accusing) depending on me.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
"People who boil corn in water should themselves be boiled in water." - Nero Wolfe.

The nuke method is the quickest and easiest. It's what I usually do. Stick that fucker in the microwave and ~5 minutes later you're chowing down.

If you want some REALLY great corn on the cob, try this:
- shuck, clean, and dry the corn well
- wrap it in aluminum foil
- cook it in a hot (475°F) oven for about 45 minutes.

The corn will emerge so awesome that adding butter is almost superfluous (but we do).

Trust me on this, you won't be sorry.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15480 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
So really the best use of a nuke oven is cooking popcorn.

And nachos. Cool

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Now if I could just get reliably non-GMO ears of corn..... Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We've been cooking corn on the cob in the microwave for years. Quick, easy and just as tasty as other ways of doing it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the microwave method has been posted here many times before, it does work.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
This thread reminded me that it's about time to post the annual how to nuke corn on the cob vid. Big Grin

I don't know if it was you who posted the first video I saw on this but a very large THANK YOU!! goes out to you or that member.
This is by far the best way to have quick corn on the cob that is so easy, we were eating it just for a snack.
I showed my sister how to do it and she asked, "Why the hell were we boiling water for all these years!"

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I cut off some of the hairy stuff at the end and a few of the outer blades. I then put the corn small end up under a running faucet to get water in the corn and between the corn husks.

I do the 3 minute per corn, 5 minute for 2 corns in the microwave.

Cut the big end off and squeeze it like I learned here. I need to get those mitts that let you handle hot stuff however.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
"People who boil corn in water should themselves be boiled in water." - Nero Wolfe.

That bought a smile to my face. I probably have every single Nero Wolf book Rex Stout every wrote. Been years since I’ve read any of them, but have fond memories of Wolf riding his elevator up to tend to his orchids.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post