SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fellow Math Nerds - Can You Do Modern 4th Grade Math?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fellow Math Nerds - Can You Do Modern 4th Grade Math? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
One of the kiddos in the cul-d-sac is in 4th grade and had the following homework question. Her engineer father usually helps with math homework and was scratching his head. Her accountant mother was scratching her head.

I'm an engineer and used to ruin the curve for everyone else in math so I looked at it. It gave me Tourrette's. The real answer is simple but the "new math" is idiotic.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23662 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Confused
Accounting degree here, had me stumped.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15983 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
The correct answer is:
"My father thinks you've lost your ever lovin' mind."

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Engineer here… not a guess on that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13867 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scratchy:
The correct answer is " cake trays are racist/sexist/whateverist"
Class?

Posts: 109057 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
G.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9440 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
A big gap between lines is 10, a small gap is 1.

The bottom right diagram is 20 wide and 17 tall, the area is the answer.

It’s just a specific shorthand way of drawing the obvious geometric interpretation.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Another engineer here. I agree with tatortodd, one shouldn't need a model for this. However, since education is pushing these things these days:

For a model, they would want something that is easily represented and is a whole number (like one model unit represents 100 cars or a 1,000 soldiers or maybe 1 million AR-15s). In this case, one of the model rectangles represents so many boxes of cake trays.

The boxes are the same size with each one representing X.

The 7 small (white) lines below represent the equivalent of 70% of a box (or 10% per line).

Similarly, the single line at the bottom of G represents the equivalent of 10% of a box. Solve for X for each model:

F: 4X + (2)(0.7)X = 17
X = 3.1481 Boxes
Not a logical model.

G: 4X + (2)(0.7)X + (2)(0.1)X + (1)(0.1)(0.7)X = 17
X = 2.9982 Boxes
Again, not a logical model

H: 3X + (3)(0.7)X = 17
X = 3.33333 Boxes
Once again, stupid model

I?: 2X + (2)(0.7)X = 17
X = 5 Boxes
An even number and the most logical choice as a "model" of the four choices presented.
Check: 2(5) + (2)(0.7)(5) = 17 √

EDIT: maladat posted while I was typing. His answer is better, incorporating the trays too, which I took as a given, and doesn't require the 4th graders to do algebra.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Can you say "common core"?

Fucking stupid. So glad I'm homeschooling and teaching my son actual math that's been used for centuries and still works today.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5520 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I have an elementary school kid nearby Smile so I was able to come up with this: Area models.

here's one that's solved.

in the OP's case, it's 10 , 10 from left to right (breaking down the 20), and then 10 , 7 from top to bottom (breaking down the 17).

So the kid breaks it down to 10*10 + 10*7 + 10*10 + 10*7 = 100 + 70 + 100 + 70 = 340

Maladat indeed has the correct answer.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
It's no wonder we are ranked near the bottom worldwide in education when this kind of garbage is being taught.

Posts: 20569 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
It’s absolutely a stupid way to actually do math on paper.

That’s not the point.

Most people that do much math in their heads do multiplication in a way that is conceptually the same as those area models, and they are trying to teach kids to do that kind of mental math.

No idea how effectively it actually teaches that skill, but the goal makes sense.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Just because you don't immediately understand it doesn't mean it's a bad way to teach.

Everybody uses mnemonics to learn. Common core is a device... it teaches concepts that most smart people learned on their own even when it wasn't being taught to them. All it is, is breaking down large numbers into smaller sets of numbers that can be easily computed.

If a teacher explained it to you for 10 seconds you'd understand it. Is it always necessary? No. Because you already learned to do that problem by multiplying 7x2 and then adding it to 10x2. But this type of process can also work with much larger numbers that you can't simply do.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10573 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
The correct answer is " cake trays are racist/sexist/whateverist"
Class?

Not intended to be political. I'll kill it, I was using snark, I failed.

Posts: 4095 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not intended to be political.
That's like mentioning a Chevy small block 350 and saying you didn't intend to speak about internal combustion engines.

Posts: 109057 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
H. It’s the only one with at least 20 trays.

And if that’s not right my guess is someone forgot to draw enough lines.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

What's so hard about that? Two- (or more) place multiplication is grade-school stuff. Why does it need to be "modeled?" And if the illustrations are meant to represent cake trays …

… what kind of cake are you supposed to bake in those?

Posts: 28650 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Most people that do much math in their heads do multiplication in a way that is conceptually the same as those area models, and they are trying to teach kids to do that kind of mental math.

My 9th grade Algebra teacher spent the first 2 weeks of class teaching us how to do math in our heads and it was all done verbally. I can still do it well and I have no idea how to solve the OP's question offhand. I imagine I could work it out if I was willing to put time into it but I'm not.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brain hurts.
When do we get to eat the cakes?

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
But, are they 'ghey cakes'? Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9436 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post