SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Belgian AF F-16 shoots up...another F-16. On the ground.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belgian AF F-16 shoots up...another F-16. On the ground. Login/Join 
posted
"It is understood that maintenance staff working on an F-16 parked in a hangar near the control tower accidentally fired a volley of shots."

I'd call that a major league ND. The plane inside the hangar shot up one parked outside.

LOTS of photos on the link.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/...y-destroyed-13406979

F-16 jet utterly destroyed in £35million airbase gaffe after another fighter plane accidentally opens fire on it

One person was hospitalised with hearing damage after the loud explosion at the Belgian air base in Florennes

By Dave Burke
15:50, 12 OCT 2018
UPDATED 23:26, 12 OCT 2018

A £35million fighter jet may has been destroyed and a second jet riddled with bullets when someone in a parked F-16 accidentally opened fire.

The F-16 Falcon jet - which was filled with 10,000 litres of kerosine - exploded as a result of the bullets' impact, according to reports in Belgium.

A second adjacent F-16 was damaged in the incident, which happened at the Florennes air base, 60 miles south of Brussels.

A large plume of black smoke was seen coming from the air base as a result of the explosion, and a rescue operation was launched.

The Belgian Air Force said that the plane had burned during maintenance work.

Two technicians working on the plane are understood to have been hurt.

In a statement to broadcaster RTL Info, defence trade union chief Boris Morenville said: "We can assume that there has been a human error or a technical fault.

"In any case, we have not been informed about an intentional act."

However, the Belgian news outlet Sudinfo reports: "An F-16 parked on the tarmac of the Florennes military base was the target of shooting: a technician accidentally opened fire from another plane! An F-16 caught fire and is completely destroyed."

It is understood that maintenance staff working on an F-16 parked in a hangar near the control tower accidentally fired a volley of shots.

The bullets - shot from 20mm Gatling guns with six cannons capable of firing 6,000 shots per minute - hit the two aircraft of the same type which just happened to be parked directly in a its line of sight.

A technician who was close to the firing source was reportedly hospitalized suffering from tinnitus.

A federal inquiry has been launched into the explosion, it was announced.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Four more and that tech makes ace!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
a) He's not going to live that one down.

b) That article must have been written by a 3-yr old. Don't they teach basic writing skills in 'journalism' school anymore (and, yes, I'm allowing for the fact it may have been translated from French)?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21850 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
We make fun of France for their military defeats and surrenders, but if you really look at history, they went through some tough fighting before doing so. Belgium got their asses rolled right over twice in the 20th century without even putting up a fight. Roll Eyes Nothing has happened since to change my mind.

Posts: 27971 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Four more and that tech makes ace!

Wonder if they'll paint a kill marking on his toolbox?

(Or more likely on his discharge papers.)

Posts: 32526 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Lol, gotta love people not complying with the MX checklists, bypassing safeties and such.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
How do you say ”Oops, my bad...” in Dutch?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10945 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
b) That article must have been written by a 3-yr old. Don't they teach basic writing skills in 'journalism' school anymore (and, yes, I'm allowing for the fact it may have been translated from French)?

It's from the Mirror, 'nuff said

Posts: 14662 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
How is an aircraft under maintenance even hot to begin with ? That sounds like a major clusterfuck all the way around.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a bit of bondo and that will buff right out

yeah, I don't think 'oops' as an entry on the maintenance log is going to clean that one up

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53203 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed. maintenance officers azz should be in the ringer...
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
How is an aircraft under maintenance even hot to begin with ? That sounds like a major clusterfuck all the way around.

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
"Just don't press the red button".

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought there was an interlock that prevented the guns from firing if the engine was off and wheels down.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I thought there was an interlock that prevented the guns from firing if the engine was off and wheels down.
Of course all those systems need to be tested on the ground, with the engines off and the wheels down... So there are ways it can be done so MX can check the operation of the systems.

In the Navy they called them R&C checks and could over-ride all of them - of course you take all the missiles, bullets, bombs, and flares OFF the plane first and usually have some test equipment hooked up, so MX can press the buttons and the plane goes through the motions.

So obviously this clown in the Belgian AF tripped some of the interlocks to make this all happen.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Career limiting move

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37984 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Agreed. maintenance officers azz should be in the ringer...
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:

I know there is a procedure for firing the gun on the ground to zero but my understanding is that it takes a lot of steps to make that work.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
new job.. cleaning the shitters after taco night!!

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
How do you say ”Oops, my bad...” in Dutch?

Florennes is in Wallonie, the French-speaking part of Belgium.

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess next time he'll check the chamber to make sure it's empty..

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I know there is a procedure for firing the gun on the ground to zero but my understanding is that it takes a lot of steps to make that work.
Obviously not ENOUGH steps.