SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Updated with pics, Any thing I need to know on a 2016 F250 6.7diesel? Updated w/pics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated with pics, Any thing I need to know on a 2016 F250 6.7diesel? Updated w/pics Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
We bought it! It is currently at the Ford dealer for a recall and synch update. As well as an oil and fuel filter changes. It doesn’t fit in the garage so I need to make sure we get the paint properly protected. The dog is afraid of it. This is way more advance than my 01’ 7.3.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Valpo Fz,

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3696 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
I'd say number one is beware of the CP4.2 Bosch fuel injection pump. Make sure you put a good quality lube every time you fuel up, I use Hotshots EDT in mine. I would strongly consider a disaster prevention kit to minimize the cost if and when the pump fails. 2016 they did away with the ceramic bearings in the turbo's so you should be OK there. You will enjoy the incredible amount of torque that beast will put out.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Traction control and their AdvanceTrac system are default settings. No way to permanently disable them and you need to turn them off every time you get in the truck.

It's a PITA if you're like me and you like to know if the road is slick before you're sliding into a ditch.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hooch:
I'd say number one is beware of the CP4.2 Bosch fuel injection pump. Make sure you put a good quality lube every time you fuel up, I use Hotshots EDT in mine. I would strongly consider a disaster prevention kit to minimize the cost if and when the pump fails. 2016 they did away with the ceramic bearings in the turbo's so you should be OK there. You will enjoy the incredible amount of torque that beast will put out.

What is a disaster prevention kit? Is there a proactive way to replace the Bosch pump? Here’s the truck.

https://www.castlesubaru.com/u...3b0695c68f826a23.htm

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3696 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
A disaster prevention kit is basically a reroute of the fuel coming off the pump to prevent it from contaminating your fuel injectors. The CP4 pumps are not happy with the USA's cleaner and less lubricating diesel fuel so eventually they go bad and start pumping metal particles into the fuel system. Last I knew it's a $10000.00 plus repair coast. The kit won't stop the pump from failing but minimizes the damage to just the pump and not injectors or fuel lines and tank. Just be sure to put some kind of lube additive on every fuel up.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Not at 27,000 miles, but here’s a list of know issues you can find on the internet and my experiences with them:

Wiring harness behind the parking brake
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) pump and heater
Death Wobble
Cold side charge pipe
Diesel Particulate Filter
CP4 fuel pump

Right off the bat, within the first few thousand miles, I had all the warning lights come on and the AC shuts off. Ford couldn’t fix this. Believe it or not, setting and releasing the parking brake provided a temporary solution. It happened probably 10 times and hasn’t happened in the last 30,000 miles after I disconnected and reconnected the harness which seems to have fix it for my truck.

The DEF pump and heater cost me $1,400 to replace at 50,000 miles. Ford extended the warranty on these and I got my money back.

Around 60,000 miles I got the Death Wobble. I paid the Ford dealer in Rogers City, MI $800 for parts and labor to fix it. They replace some tie rod ends and another part whose name I can not recall.

The plastic fitting that attaches the cold side charge pipe to the throttle body let loose at 121,000 miles. Much hilarity ensued including blocking off the only road to the Keys for about 10 minutes. The part is only available as the entire
cold side charge pipe assembly, but it was only $180 and I changed it out myself it 15 minutes.

As a result of following Homestead Ford’s diesel mechanic’s advise that it would be Ok to continue towing my 5th wheel to the Keys, the DPF filter clogged such that an automatic regen cycle would not clean it. I eventually got it cleaned, but it cracked the ceramic honeycomb matrix. This part is only available as a complete assembly along with the DOC and SCR. It costs $4,500 for the part alone. Ford also extended the warranty on this part to 120,000 miles, so I’m SOL on that.

I haven’t lost the CP4 fuel pump, yet. I installed a bypass line that should the pump go, returns the contaminated diesel fuel back to the tank. Without this bypass line, the contaminated fuel goes through the fuel lines and the fuel injectors, which is about $3,500 in parts. The pump alone is under $1,000.

Mine is a 2015 with 139,000 miles now. I’m on my fifth set of tires.

They changed the turbocharger in 2015 and the new one does not have the ceramic bearings. That issue was mostly the 2011-2012 trucks.

I have not had and issue with the tractions control or stability control, but I’ve never found myself sliding towards a ditch. Truck has never seen snow.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like some typical stuff. Will definitely do the hose thing? Can you find pre made kits on line with the parts and directions?

YAT-YAS

Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
There are a few DPK's available, I used the SPE motorsports kit on my 2018. S&S diesel makes a good one too. I wouldn't say its an easy install but if your mechanically inclined it's possible, there are some good videos on youtube about it.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am curious, what would that truck cost brand new with some hard shopping. Like negotiating one of the huge TX dealers.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a Cummins with a Ram wrapped around it.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
80-85k

YAT-YAS

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Looking at used prices in Texas there are not going to be any real “deals”. Even at 2-3k off your still at 80k give or take.

YAT-YAS

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Here is a SigForum LINK . The OP had a very difficult and time consuming ordeal with his. Same year, same engine. It'll take awhile for you to read this, grab a cup of coffee and a note pad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
That was a long but informative link.

YAT-YAS

You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I have one and it’s a good truck. If you’re in a non emissions area, then remove that stuff.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2249 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That’s easy to say, but much harder to do now that the EPA cracked down on it. Replacing the DOC/DPS/SCR with a straight pipe is easy as is blocking off the EGR. The problem is getting the engine tuned.

Price out the door on my new, 2015, crew cab, long bed, Lariat was $54,000 in 2016. I looked at trading it for an F450 Lariat with a few more doodads. It would have been my 50,000 mile truck plus $35,000. At today’s price, I’ll keep fixing mine.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
That was a long but informative link.

I've put another 20k miles on it since the fuel system replacement and I religiously change fuel filters during oil change every 5k miles in addition to some Howes Diesel Treat every tank of fuel.

I've been lazy on the disaster prevention kit from S&S. It sits in a box still because I haven't felt like tearing it down to to the install. But winter is here, I have an enclosed shop, and shocks are on the menu so......

trapper189 laid out some other good things to keep an eye out for.

Posts: 2028 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigolicious:
I've been lazy on the disaster prevention kit from S&S. It sits in a box still because I haven't felt like tearing it down to to the install.

That may work to your advantage. S&S has upgraded the kit to include a filter on the return hose that prevents the metal from even reaching the fuel tank. The upgrade is available separately for those of us with the old kit.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I’ll be ordering the S&S kit in the next couple
Of weeks.

YAT-YAS

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Good looking truck, looks like a Cowboy Cadillac.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post