SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford proposes a future without traffic lights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford proposes a future without traffic lights Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
But how will people text and check their FB page?

Vehicle-to-everything communications technology, more commonly referred to as V2X, is poised to change the way cars operate in the very near future.

Numerous automakers are working on V2X systems, some of which are already available. Among those automakers is Ford which thinks the tech could one day eliminate traffic lights.

The automaker announced Wednesday it will trial an Intersection Priority Management (IPM) system on the streets of Milton Keynes, United Kingdom. The system is Ford's way of demonstrating that cars may not always have to stop for an intersection or traffic sign. Instead, the system suggests speeds that allow a car to pass through an intersection without coming to a complete stop. The technology is inspired by the way humans maneuver through crowds of people. We don't come to a stop as we meander through, but instead adjust our speed to avoid colliding with other people.

Vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communications allows cars in an area to know each other's location, direction of travel and speed, while the IPM system identifies upcoming intersections. The IPM also calculates all of the surrounding cars' paths and produces the optimal speed for each of them to pass through an intersection without colliding or stopping. Researchers previewed a similar system in 2016 using a simulation.

While the technology sounds rather difficult to implement in the real world where not every car on the road will feature V2V technology, it could be a major facet of future self-driving cars. Ford said it's possible that with a system developed for autonomous vehicles, the only time the car would stop is when a rider reaches his or her destination. Ford is first testing the technology with humans behind the wheel, but IPM may not need humans or traffic signals one day.

IPM comes as the government-funded U.K. Autodrive program, which looks at upcoming car technologies, wraps up. Ford has worked to help develop new safety technologies over the past two years and has also shown off an intersection collision warning system and Green Light Optimal Speed Advisory. The latter helps cars synchronize with traffic lights and help avoid red signals.

While Ford works to eliminate traffic lights, Honda is also working on making intersections a safer place. The company has developed a "smart intersection" with V2X technology that can alert drivers of obstacles and help avoid a crash. The technology began testing in Ohio this month.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/f...thout-traffic-lights

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah and the systems will never break down, and cannot be turned off. I like flying cars better.

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I think one of the things which may actually be possible, is self-parking cars.

Buildings designed w. a convenient "15 minute" set of spaces, and heavily marked/tagged/etc paths to a auto parking area, if left over 15 minutes, could be easily designed, and would serve quite a useful function, both in maximizing the value of retail space, and in reducing traffic.

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I know there will be a few members that get very bent out of shape over this. They get upset when somebody rolls a 4 way stop when there's no other cars for a mile in each direction. Razz

I don't know how they're going to make it work. We have smart traffic signals around here where computers adjust the lights to move traffic. I don't think they're as smart as they believe themselves to be.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Apparently the lights are out in some offices in Detroit.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
They need to spend less time wasting money on futuristic ideas and more time getting their stock price up - though a 6.8% dividend yield (based on 10/12 close) is sweet if you have a big enough pair.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3462 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I have seen, and driven in, the future - it's called Mexico City.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Obviously, these Ford engineers have never driven in the northeast.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Try driving in Rome Italy or Seoul S. Korea.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the automakers concentrate on making quality vehicles that don’t need any repairs or maintenance for 15yrs or 200k miles. That sounds better than cars talking to each other.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3546 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
How about the automakers concentrate on making quality vehicles that don’t need any repairs or maintenance for 15yrs or 200k miles. That sounds better than cars talking to each other.
Yes and this would especially apply to Ford. The crap they have dealt for decades to their customers. A friends Fusion has had 43 recalls. That right there speaks to the disfunction built into their products.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Did both.

Navy captain asked, “PD, you can drive around Boston and New York?”

“Yes, sir”

“Good. You’re getting a South Korean drivers license.”

First rule was never look into the eyes of another driver.

Smile

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eliakim
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great idea for cars never to have to stop at intersections, but it could be more dangerous for the pedestrians in the crosswalks. Maybe in a Ford future we will be able to run across the street like lucky squirrels who manage not to get run over by nutty drivers who don't stop for anything. Eek

Posts: 159 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eliakim:
Sounds like a great idea for cars never to have to stop at intersections, but it could be more dangerous for the pedestrians in the crosswalks. Maybe in a Ford future we will be able to run across the street like lucky squirrels who manage not to get run over by nutty drivers who don't stop for anything. Eek
You sir have segwayed into where all this is headed, and that aspect gives me some real concerns. To automate traffic, they'll need huge centralized computing power and physical access into everyone's cars. Then the cellphones of pedestrians and cyclists will be sucked into that system to monitor and plan their behavior into the equation. Having that level of access into our lives opens the doors wide to immense abuse wherein government can monitor every second of every day for everyone. And I know some will say that's where we are today, but its not. With this sort of access and computing power, there is unlikely to be a single aspect of any of our lives that will approach anything close to 'private'.

Luckily I'm old enough that its unlikely I'll ever have to deal with this in my lifetime.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Screw all that, I want my flying car Popular Mechanics promised me 50 yrs. ago.

Posts: 5310 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
It was fun in Tehran in 1970, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Skynet is one step away from becoming self aware...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20841 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Eliakim:
You sir have segwayed into where all this is headed, and that aspect gives me some real concerns. To automate traffic, they'll need huge centralized computing power and physical access into everyone's cars. Then the cellphones of pedestrians and cyclists will be sucked into that system to monitor and plan their behavior into the equation. Having that level of access into our lives opens the doors wide to immense abuse wherein government can monitor every second of every day for everyone. And I know some will say that's where we are today, but its not. With this sort of access and computing power, there is unlikely to be a single aspect of any of our lives that will approach anything close to 'private'.

Luckily I'm old enough that its unlikely I'll ever have to deal with this in my lifetime.

And the only way to make it work is to MANDATE everyone to use it. Use of gummint force. And I'd bet the tech would end up being used to spy on people (and sell the data to Google so they can push ads to everyone) more than it would to avoid accidents.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean they stop now?

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1131 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Yes and this would especially apply to Ford. The crap they have dealt for decades to their customers. A friends Fusion has had 43 recalls. That right there speaks to the disfunction built into their products.

I have a 08 Explorer with 105k miles on it. I’m the original owner. It’s a piece of shit. So far I’ve replaced and repaired so much on it that I’ve started calling it a Rock Auto Explorer instead of a Ford. If I keep it another 10 years I’d expect it to be more aftermarket than factory.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post