SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    computers and de-evolution in America
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

computers and de-evolution in America Login/Join 
posted
If anything has been learned in the last ten years,
I swear that the more computers are used , the more people are going backwards on the evolutionary scale.

11 years ago if you wanted to return something,
you brought the item in , they checked it for abuse and sometimes they made you sign a paper, mostly not ,
then
you left with your money .

not so these days,

the guy at the post office had to call four other people on the land line

, they had to consult something and then all five had to ask the computer very nicely,
in a very specific way to please
let me return a money order.

25 minutes of bowing down to a machine .

If it didn't happen four times out of five, I would not bring it up. but ,
Cheese and Rice ! it gets old.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is a money order. That's different from merchandise. Given how easily it could be forged, I can see the computer scrutiny.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's the post office.

If I want to return something these days, I print the prepaid label, slap it on the box, drop the box at a UPS store, and Amazon refunds my money before I get home.

I suggest quit buying money orders that you'll have to return for a refund.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20080 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Money orders are still a thing?

What for?

No wonder they had to use a landline - they had to call 1982 to find out what a money order is?? Wink Razz Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
because people don't want you to send cash through the mail.

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Money orders are still a thing?

What for?

No wonder they had to use a landline - they had to call 1982 to find out what a money order is?? Wink Razz Big Grin

They have a special rotary phone in the back, that only people over 40 understand.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Return a money order? Why?

Just deposit it in your bank...

Posts: 2348 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
post office: 1/2 mile
bank: 22 miles round trip

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
They have a special rotary phone in the back, that only people over 40 understand.

Big Grin Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
because people don't want you to send cash through the mail.

Cash?

Mail?

Big Grin

<Hope you know I'm just messing with you, although I don't remember the last time I used a money order or mailed someone a payment using snail mail. I have more cash in my wallet right now than I remember having in a long time. My daughter wanted to order something online and gave me $60 in cash for me to order it for her. That $60 will probably last me til the end of the year! I just do almost everything online or with electronic payments. I wouldn't buy something that required a money order unless it was something very unique that couldn't be obtained any other way...Not that there's anything wrong with cash, mail or money orders, whatever floats your boat!!>

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no biggie ,
even Judge Judy claims that absolutely no one uses money orders anymore.