SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Navy 'is in disarray and focusing more on diversity than warfighting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Navy 'is in disarray and focusing more on diversity than warfighting Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted
Link

Too long to copy on my phone.

I really miss the Navy I joined Mad

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I read this earlier today. Fascinating. I've been saying this since before the McCain and Fitz crashes.

I've got a copy of the report, but haven't read it all yet, just the article.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in the service, we had a saying:
"War is hell, but peace is a bitch"
I guess now it would be:
"War is hell, but we are woke" Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Navy in the early 70's all the "old Salts" complained about the "new Navy" then.
Adm. Zumwald was SECNAV and allowed facial hair and beards. We have come a long way baby!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Shocking Roll Eyes

The CNO wokest of the woke who wants all Sailors reading this toxic bilge:

Why the US Navy wants sailors to read ‘How To Be An Antiracist’

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the saying:

Hard times make hard people
Hard people make good times
Good times make soft people
Soft people make hard times.

We are in stage 4 right now. The government is doing everything possible to neuter the military and impose its social engineering policies. The military has been the last major bastion of conservatism - the libs cannot tolerate this. They would GLADLY destroy this country's military readiness and capabilities if they could just 'turn the military blue.'

I joined the USAF right before the first Gulf War. Now, there were some things that needed fixed back then (sexual harassment/assault, too much reliance on alcohol for social events, etc). However, it is trending in a very bad direction.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^^ That is like a short version of the Tytler cycle.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I retired in 1990 (31 years ago...sheeesh...) and my only contact since then was a brief stint as a contract armorer/armory attendant in 2009.

It is not at all an overstatement to say I was SHOCKED at what the Navy had become.

No way no how I could serve in today's military.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15270 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can apply to all services sadly
Even back when I was in 1984-2009) we had mandatory briefing on a whole bunch of subjects not related to fighting the enemy, and it appears to have gotten much worse now

Posts: 3298 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
I still work on base and see things that really makes me wonder what my CPO's I had as a young sailor would do with the sailors of today. My guess there'd be a bunch of dead bodies laying around all over.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Navy hasn't had anything to do and was largely sidelined for the last 20-years of war in SW Asia. Including social-justice issues with Navy training is more of the issues which can be grouped together in one problem: sailors are not being trained to fight their ship but, instead are focused on administrative compliance and bureaucratic box-checking.

Lawmakers Survey: 94% of Sailors Say ‘Damaging Operational Failures’ Related to Navy Culture, Leadership Problems
quote:
Chief among the issues for the surface sailors surveyed was the emphasis on mounting administrative duties rather than preparing ships to fight, reads the report.
“There was a broad consensus across interviewees on numerous cultural and structural issues that impact the morale and readiness of the Navy’s surface force. These include: an insufficient focus on warfighting skills, the perception of a zero-defect mentality accompanied by a culture of micromanagement, and over-sensitivity and responsiveness to modern media culture. Structural issues identified include lack of resources and consistency in surface warfare training programs, and the Navy’s underwhelming commitment to surface ship maintenance—a problem that spans decades.”
“The Navy treats warfighting readiness as a compliance issue,” a commander told the survey team.
“You might even use the term compliance-centered warfare as opposed to adversary-centered warfare or warfighter-centered warfare.”

Those surveyed also cited the Navy’s so-called “zero defect” mentality in creating a careerist environment that is risk-averse and intolerant of one-off mistakes, in addition to the fear of negative media stories ruining careers.

CDR Salamander dive-in deep: Culture is Upstream of Everything

WSJ jumps in as well

Posts: 14687 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Can apply to all services sadly
Even back when I was in 1984-2009) we had mandatory briefing on a whole bunch of subjects not related to fighting the enemy, and it appears to have gotten much worse now

Well, there IS a valid need to brief the standard stuff (about alcohol abuse, human trafficking, sexual assault/harassment, etc). That shouldn't go away. It's the focus on the sjw nonsense that is the problem.

The dems will only increase their meddling with the military.

quote:
sailors are not being trained to fight their ship but, instead are focused on administrative compliance and bureaucratic box-checking.

Yup. I believe a commander will get in more trouble for failing to maintain an 'inclusive' atmosphere with all the touchy-feely nonsense (according to the sjw/dem standards) than for failing to maintain his/her ship in a combat-ready posture.

Of course, the next time terrorists or somebody else sucker-punches one of our ships (USS Cole, USS Stark, etc) and we suffer losses due to lack of combat proficiency, the Navy brass will crucify the commander and shift blame (they have been doing that for centuries; I don't expect it to ever change - Pearl Harbor, USS Indianapolis, USS Iowa turret explosion, etc).

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been retired from the USN for more than 20 years.

"A bitchin' sailor is a happy sailor". In other words, if they are complaining, they are OK.

Have we taken the "woke" thing too far? Certainly.

Posts: 7022 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I was at a meeting in 2006 with the Chief of Naval Personnel, a Vice Admiral, who stated "if we don't embrace diversity, we will lose the talent war". I thought "what a crock of shit!" Why don't we just embrace the right people for the right job with the requisite skills, regardless of race or color? It was then I started planning my exit strategy.

I retired 9 years ago and I'm glad I got out when I did.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 987 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok I’ll bite because a couple of you guys keep saying it. Briefing alcohol abuse and sexual harassment issues makes sense. Also shouldn’t take that much time. Proper and effective enforcement and punishment of said offenses (especially harassment) goes a long way to eradicating the problems. Why in the holy fuck does human trafficking become a subject of training though? Has this ever been an issue? Are ships pulling away from the pier with crates of people to be sold at the next port? Same could be said for racial issues. The military has been the most colorblind segment of our society for at least since 1985 when I enlisted. The military doesn’t actually have a problem with racism. (Not to say there aren’t racists in the military because of there are). Certainly much much less than society as a whole.

Why?

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Ok I’ll bite because a couple of you guys keep saying it. Briefing alcohol abuse and sexual harassment issues makes sense. Also shouldn’t take that much time. Proper and effective enforcement and punishment of said offenses (especially harassment) goes a long way to eradicating the problems. Why in the holy fuck does human trafficking become a subject of training though? Has this ever been an issue? Are ships pulling away from the pier with crates of people to be sold at the next port? Same could be said for racial issues. The military has been the most colorblind segment of our society for at least since 1985 when I enlisted. The military doesn’t actually have a problem with racism. (Not to say there aren’t racists in the military because of there are). Certainly much much less than society as a whole.

Why?

Trafficking in persons is actually a problem. There are many arrests made every year. It would be nice if it wasn't but unfortunately.

Same with Sexual assault and harassment, wish we didn't have to spend so much time on it but we do.

The extremism and racism training we receive, I won't comment except to say I perform my required training.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6339 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

Trafficking in persons is actually a problem. There are many arrests made every year. It would be nice if it wasn't but unfortunately.

This is true. I doubt anybody is implying that US warships are smuggling sex workers out of the Third World - the problem comes (according to the training - I've never been there personally) from service-members visiting certain bars and other 'establishments' during off-duty time, especially in places like South Korea.

There are 'juicy bars,' where women will sit on the mens' laps (and do whatever - use your imagination; I doubt they are reciting poetry) while the men buy them drinks (non-alcoholic juice, from what I recall). Many of these women are actually literal slaves; being forced to work and physically unable to leave or otherwise exercise their free will. Many leave their native lands (Philippines, other poor Asian countries) on the promise of work, but soon find themselves in servitude and debt. Their passports or other documents are withheld, and they must 'pay off' their debt by working - often having to 'pay' room/board and other sundry expenses at the 'company store,' further delaying the pay-off of their debt. Many are purposefully addicted to drugs, further increasing their debt, making it nearly impossible to leave/escape. Certain massage parlors and brothels apparently use the same methods.

If these places are frequented by US service-members, then the US military IS responsible for aiding and abetting human trafficking. The annual computer-based training we take gives clues to spot these dodgy businesses - if the girls are nervous, there are 'chaperones' watching their every move, the girls show signs of handcuffs or shackles, etc. This training is important, and should continue.

quote:
Same with Sexual assault and harassment, wish we didn't have to spend so much time on it but we do.

The extremism and racism training we receive, I won't comment except to say I perform my required training.

I have a fairly strong opinion of the 'extremism training' - I believe it is intended to foster an atmosphere of contempt and suspicion of conservatives in the military, with the ultimate goal of 'cracking down' on us, our speech, privileges, and rights (we (should) all know the January 6 'insurrection' line is nothing but pure, fabricated, BS). . .

posted Hide Post
This same report could have been written when I was a SWO department head in the late 90s. The discussion of the two collisions a few years back failed, in my opinion, to address the primary issue, which is the culture of the surface warfare community. I've been retired for 14 days.....

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final

The use of the pen is an indulgence we can afford only because better men and women grip the sword on our behalf -Ralph Peters

Posts: 223 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: July 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
This cancer began in 1993 with "Don't ask, don't tell." Continued through W. Bush and metastized under the Krimson Kenyan, now with President Trump gone, and Joe and the Hoe at the helm, the Navy can go full SJW, the Coast Guard is almost there, and the Marines will be next, but with more resistance.

God Bless our Naval Forces hopefully there is a shoreline to be found, back to normalcy.

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
former Army guy here. But i have a huge respect for the USN and its tradition and complicated, worldwide mission.

everything I knew that was rotting in the Navy was made evident by the 2016 capture of the small boat patrol by Iran.

When I read the AAR of that debacle ... I knew the USN was (is) in deep need of a top to bottom change in culture-- back to warfighting / warrior ethos vs. admin box-checking / diversity / SJW non-sense BS.

It will be a long road back but I hold out hope.

----------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post