SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hillsboro OR: Student with banned Trump shirt to get apology, $25,000 from school district
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hillsboro OR: Student with banned Trump shirt to get apology, $25,000 from school district Login/Join 
posted
Maybe there's hope for OR after all.

The link has a photo of the shirt that was so offending.

https://www.oregonlive.com/was...target2box_targeted_

Student with banned Trump shirt to get apology, $25,000 from school district

Updated 4:01 PM; Posted 2:20 PM

Maxine Bernstein mbernstein@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

The principal of Liberty High School in Hillsboro has agreed to apologize to a student who was told to go home or cover up his "Donald J. Trump Border Wall Construction Co.'' shirt in January.

Addison Barnes, an 18-year-old senior, was suspended for wearing the shirt backing Trump's immigration and Homeland Security policies. He then sued the high school, the principal and the Hillsboro School District, arguing they violated his First Amendment rights.

In late May, a federal judge issued a temporary restraining order, essentially barring the school for the remainder of the school year from enforcing its earlier decision prohibiting Barnes from wearing the shirt.

On Tuesday, Barnes' lawyers announced they reached a settlement with the district: Principal Greg Timmons will write a letter of apology and the district will pay $25,000 for Barnes' attorney fees.

"I brought this case to stand up for myself and other students who might be afraid to express their right-of-center views,'' Barnes said in a statement. "Everyone knows that if a student wears an anti-Trump shirt to school, the teachers won't think twice about it. But when I wore a pro-Trump shirt, I got suspended. That's not right.''

Barnes' lawyers said the message on the shirt wasn't the point of the case. High school students have the right to express their political views, they said.

"We brought the case to police the thought police,'' attorney Brad Benbrook said.

Hillsboro school district officials said Tuesday they were preparing a statement about the settlement and would release it later in the afternoon.

School officials had defended their actions in court, saying the shirt would contribute to a "hostile learning environment'' and would make students feel insecure in school, noting that about 33 percent of the high school's students are of Hispanic descent. They also said the school has been the site of recent student walkouts and sit-ins to protest Trump's immigration policies.

The district described increased racial tensions arising from racially charged language around immigration, school officials said.

But U.S. District Judge Michael W. Mosman found the school district couldn't justify its censorship. The judge said he balanced constitutionally protected speech with the orderly running of a school.

The school district is entitled to be concerned about the response of other students to the T-shirt, the judge said. But the "thin" court record offered little support for the district's argument that the shirt could "substantially disrupt'' the school, he said.

mbernstein@oregonian.com

Posts: 16019 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
More winning. Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17192 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Principal Timmons should pay out of his own pocket. And if he can't control the walk-outs, he needs another line of work.

Posts: 5784 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:....
School officials had defended their actions in court, saying the shirt would contribute to a "hostile learning environment'' and would make students feel insecure in school, noting that about 33 percent of the high school's students are of Hispanic descent. They also said the school has been the site of recent student walkouts and sit-ins to protest Trump's immigration policies....

So anti-Trump walkouts and protests create a wholesome learning environment?

Seems educational diversity/tolerance/equality is a one-way street.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The shirt doesn't create a hostile learning environment any more than guns are violent.

It's the people. In this case, it's the school officials that are creating the hostile environment for conservative "right of center" students.

If hispanic students make a big deal of it, well guess what, it's the administration's duty to protect the conservative students, not suspend them.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
A suburb or whacky Portland....so no big surprise.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Liberty” High Shool...anyone else find themselves contemplating the multitude levels of irony embodied in that?

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
the school had been the site of recent student walkouts and sit-ins to protest Trump's immigration policies.
Depending on which foot the shoo is on, the First Amendment might or might not apply.

The school district seems to support the First Amendment if the shoe is on the left foot.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Another example of why public education needs to go away

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
good - may it be the first of many successful suits against the indoctrination centers

public schools are a pox on America

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53849 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scoutrifleman:
“Liberty” High Shool...anyone else find themselves contemplating the multitude levels of irony embodied in that?

yup.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11105 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
letter of apology and the district will pay $25,000 for Barnes' attorney fees.

They won’t learn anything if they only have to pay attorney fees. I would have made sure there was a substantial “pain and suffering” amount to boot. It would certainly help keep them in check the next time they try to stomp on someone’s rights.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Not enough individual consequences...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
It cost the administrator nothing, for me this is the biggest problem. That $25k should be coming out of his pocket, not the taxpayers.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11227 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post