SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New HVAC System Quote Price Increase
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New HVAC System Quote Price Increase Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The price increase seems like a lot. Was there a rebate when he quoted it that is no longer valid?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
$12,000+ to install furnace and A/C? Are you converting from boiler to ducts? That is insane. I live in the richest county in the entire country and I paid $4,800 to replace my system. Granted I went with low seer/efficiency system, but there is no way you'd save 7,000+ more in energy costs than I'll spend.

Why so high? New duct work? Two systems?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
arcwelder76 is spot on. I'd pay 5% more for just about anything if it worked and was through a reputable entity.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13404 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
$12,000+ to install furnace and A/C? Are you converting from boiler to ducts? That is insane. I live in the richest county in the entire country and I paid $4,800 to replace my system. Granted I went with low seer/efficiency system, but there is no way you'd save 7,000+ more in energy costs than I'll spend.

Why so high? New duct work? Two systems?

1. Run gas into house from newly installed meter. Put in piping for future gas range, fireplace, dryer
2. New 2-stage Lennox 96% gas forced air furnace
3. New Lennox 16 SEER Elite AC
4. New Lennox AC coil
5. New Aprilaire 600 whole-home humidifier
6. New Lennox HC11 air cleaner
7. New Bradford White gas water heater, power vent model, 40 gallon
8. Removal of entire old system (7 year old oil forced air furnace and 30 year old Trane AC)
9. Removal of two oil tanks
10. All new AC lines, PVC piping for exhaust/fresh air for furnace and water heater
11. Blocks and isolation pads for furnace, stone and pad for outdoor AC unit, all new electrical connections to outdoor unit
12. New flexible noise collar for both supply and return ductwork
13. Tie everything into (built like a Soviet tank!) 1950's hard metal ductwork in home
14. 1 year labor warranty

I don't think $12,000 is a bad quote for all that, do you?

quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Was that original bid around $12000.00 ? How big a building is this? That seems pretty high for an average size residence.

House is right around 2,500 sq feet. 4 BR

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some experience with this having had to deal with several hurricanes and replacing shingles, windows etc. The prices of everything went up immediately after the storm due to supply and demand. State Farm had a computerized program that estimated the cost of replacement. The prices changed from day to day. It was like the Futures Market.

I would not sweat 600 dollars if you trust the guy to do a decent job. Remember your time finding someone else to do the job is not free.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think $12,000 is a bad quote for all that, do you?

Makes more sense now, you'd have to ask one of the HVAC guys on the board, for cost comps, that is way more work than just slapping a new system in.

I can tell you this much if properly installed it will make a world of difference in both summer and winter. I replaced 13 year old equipment and I saved a ton on utilities and the house is way more comfy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a lot of things being installed. It is entirely feasible parts could cost $600 more between all of the materials.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I'm in the wholesale supply end of building materials- prices are jumping due to the tariffs and the booming economy- $600 for all that material and work? Seems legit at the wholesale end.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
I'm in the wholesale supply end of building materials- prices are jumping due to the tariffs and the booming economy- $600 for all that material and work? Seems legit at the wholesale end.

Pricing is always forward, you get info that your prices are rising, you immediately raise it to your customers so you don't get caught holding the bag. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis