SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Couple of water heater questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Couple of water heater questions Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Mine is about 10 years old. We have crappy had limestone water, great for bourbon distilling apparently, horrible for the household.

Do some water heaters not have replaceable anode rods?
I looked at the top of mine and I sure can’t find where one would be. Even checked under the sticker on the top.

I have been a bit lazy and not drained it in probably 5 years. Should I still drain it or has all that sediment essentially hardened on the bottom and I would just be wasting my time?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Are you sure they're not on the side rather than the top? Mine always went in the side when I had tanked water heaters.

Posts: 20610 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Most, if not all, tanked water heaters have replaceable anode rods as far as I’m aware. Mine went in from the top. It was fairly subtle and easy to miss. I’d recommend checking a few videos at YouTube on replacing them. You will see a variety of types.

Mine took an enormous socket and about a 3 foot cheater bar to break loose.

Have you tried googling your water heater model to find the manual? Since draining it is not that big of a deal, I would try anyway. Doing both of these things beats replacing it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am surprised you still have hot water after 10 years. When I had an electric water heater I drained it & cleaned the anodes annually. I replaced anodes often as cleaning became more difficult. The anodes were under a cover on the lower side. Yes, a large socket ( i think 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 & a cheater bar!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4344 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you're toward the typical end of life at 10 years.

There was another thread about instantaneous hot water heaters recently. If you have gas at your house, I highly recommend a Rinnai tankless gas water heater when the time comes.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Haven’t had to change out the anode but have changed the heating elements in one of mine. A tip I found on YouTube saved me from having to replace the whole unit when I couldn’t get the old elements to break loose. Found a video of a guy using an impact driver so I ordered a 1 1/2” socket and it was able to get the stuck elements out without any trouble. Total investment was only about $70 for two elements and the socket. Much better than the cost of a new unit.

Posts: 1145 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I believe I have found it and it is on the very edge of the tank which is kind of strange in my opinion as it’s probably less than a 1/2” from the wall of the tank.

quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Yeah, you're toward the typical end of life at 10 years.

There was another thread about instantaneous hot water heaters recently. If you have gas at your house, I highly recommend a Rinnai tankless gas water heater when the time comes.

We have gas and I would love a tankless water heater.
We bought the house in Nov of 2014 and replaced the water heater in December because it was original to the house and 15 years old.
The current water heater is vented with the furnace and tankless water heaters must be vented alone. The basement is finished and the cost to do a new vent was quite costly so it’s a no go.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, Black. My tankless has been great and a once a year flushing keeps it clean with no worries of tank failure. And unlimited hot water.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
They have a lifespan of 10 years.

They do have anodes, it’s a 1 1/16” socket, a breaker bar and someone to hold the tank still (even filled) as a gorilla puts them in at the factory. Do not use Teflon tape or pipe dope to install the new anode as it will break the connection between the tank and the water-you want electrolysis to do its thing.

There’s a plastic cover on the top or some have a metal port that is screwed down. Anodes come in a single stick you can trim or some with a cable and they fold. They also differ from area to area, some have a welded bump on top and some are smooth to indicate what kind of anode you have already. Ps they are cheaper to order online than to get them at Ferguson Supply.

You should flush them annually. Turn off the power to it, hook up a hose to outside, you can turn off the input(cold) or not. OP I’d suggest draining, then turning on and off the input water to bust loose any settled glop.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11476 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post