SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Classic street rod type car rabbit hole
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Classic street rod type car rabbit hole Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Thanks to the manual transmission thread. Which fed my love of an old muscle type type Chevy from the sixties. Last night I searched for a car a friend had in high school that I loved. A mid sixties Chevy Nova SS.

When searching I found several in the $30k-$40k range that looked pretty good. And a bunch in the $50-$150k range.

A couple in the low range sort of rang my bell.

I am not really what you would call a car guy.
But the sound of a 283, 327 or 383 stroker in a 2500lb rear wheel drive coupe does get my juices flowing Smile

I would like to hear the do's and don't of something like searching for a classic hotrod type rig.

Thanks all.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19238 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Two words...Sub-frame Connectors! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8951 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my garage is a 57 Bel Air and a 66 Mustang. General advice: know yourself enough to know why. This isn’t the cheapest hobby, as other classic owners here will attest. If you want the sounds and smells, you can get that from a model less desired (and cheaper) in the market. If you are chasing a memory, be prepared to have that memory cost you.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
In my garage is a 57 Bel Air and a 66 Mustang. General advice: know yourself enough to know why. This isn’t the cheapest hobby, as other classic owners here will attest. If you want the sounds and smells, you can get that from a model less desired (and cheaper) in the market. If you are chasing a memory, be prepared to have that memory cost you.

Wondering about the "cost you" aspect. I get that you will have to find one in your budget and that will be a significant cost.

Outside of that are there other things I am missing other than basic vehicle maintenance and repairs that all vehicles require?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:

Wondering about the "cost you" aspect. I get that you will have to find one in your budget and that will be a significant cost.

Outside of that are there other things I am missing other than basic vehicle maintenance and repairs that all vehicles require?

This may be a more general reply to others who may read the thread. I guess what was in my mind, if one is chasing a memory, likely it is tied to something specific. And if that something specific is an AAR ‘cuda, then it will cost. If it is Dad’s daily driver that had a little extra go under the hood, you might get into that cheaper.

I fell into my cars. I never had a particular interest in 50s cars before, but the father in law and brother in law both had 57 Chevys at one time in the 70s when the wife was little. A 4 door came available to us, so she was able to make her own connection to that. Probably more important now that both of those gentlemen have passed. Not everyone is into 4 doors, but it was super handy when we had small kids, and now older friends.

It rumbles nicely, isn’t fast (original 2.72 rear) but I’ve gotten 18 mpg on it, looks like a rat rod but retains the original interior look she wanted. Total cruiser. Something like that would be cheap to get into. It takes me to local cruise ins where I see familiar faces and we tell stories of doing stupid things.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks to the manual transmission thread. Which fed my love of an old muscle type type Chevy from the sixties. Last night I searched for a car a friend had in high school that I loved. A mid sixties Chevy Nova SS.

When searching I found several in the $30k-$40k range that looked pretty good. And a bunch in the $50-$150k range.

A couple in the low range sort of rang my bell.

I am not really what you would call a car guy.
But the sound of a 283, 327 or 383 stroker in a 2500lb rear wheel drive coupe does get my juices flowing Smile

I would like to hear the do's and don't of something like searching for a classic hotrod type rig.

Thanks all.

To be fair, stickman started it with his thread when I saw that Honda Prelude…..

Posts: 449 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking you'll need a Dwell gauge, timing light, and maybe a choke angle gauge if the need arises.

It's been a long time since I've rebuilt an external voltage regulator, but it can be done in an hour or so.

The only other thing you'll have to do is smile a lot as you are enjoying your new ride.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Almost bought a 64 Nova back in the late 80's for a Bracket Racer. Sure were a LOT cheaper back then.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The prices on some of these cars now, for what was done/not done, is kind of crazy. I have been looking myself at some cars I think about possibly getting when I retire in a couple years and the only advice I can offer is to research what you want and the problems associated with them. It's amazing at how much certain cars would rust back in the day and then how some people would fill in the holes. Not just the bodies but the frames,engines, mounts,etc.. I have had a few "muscle cars" when I was younger-Camaro, Trans Am, Cougar, Vette, etc., and they have all been a learning experience. Some more costly than others.

Posts: 6903 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I don't have a muscle car, I do have a 1976 Ford F250 4x4. Bought it at the lower price before prices went crazy bout 10 years ago. I remember when they were new, and actually worked on quite a few before the Western NY road salt killed them. This one has no rust on it, still needs paint, and is a continuous work in progress.
That being said, stuff on a 47 year old vehicle, oil leaks (rear main, valve covers, power steering, etc.) are constant, just like when they were new.
Anything rubber; spring bushings, window seals (windshield and back window) even the brake pedal stop bushing fell apart on mine.
The vintage cars rarely had A/C, I put a retro kit in mine, seems the older I get the more I appreciate it.
If it has the original wiring , be ready to replace it, the insulation on the wires eventually turn to dust.
So, the more you spend on one, hopefully, will have a lot of the parts replaced do to age.
Always fun to drive classic stuff, the other fun thing is maintaining them, always something to do on it.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see two types at the car shows,
A.
Likes to turn wrenches and tweak and modify for hours on end.
Zen types that can quote specs on every nut bolt and the threads involved.
Maybe they put 700 miles on a year.

B.
They buy exactly what they want,
Drive it around twice a month,
Pay to get it detailed once a year.
Can't find the oil filter,
But enjoy having a neat thing.
Maybe put 1300 miles on it a year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54695 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
That made me laugh Bendable...you are spot on.

As an old guy (graduated from HS in 65) I was all into the muscle car era. You could find me at the drags on any given Sunday. I was not so much a wrencher back then, I just loved the cars.

I always kind of liked the Nova SS but it was always in the shadow of the Malibu and then the Camaro. If I were looking for one today I would be more interested in the 67-68 years as that (if memory serves) was when that tubo-fired 327 came out giving you 350 HP. The Nova really didn't get into the muscle car arena until 68 when the big block 396 became available.

I say go for it. All you really need is the time and the money. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My barber is really into classic cars and probably has 6 or 8 of them. He deals with this outfit a lot and he speaks highly of them… give them a call.

https://www.thecarolinaclassiccars.com/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Expect the build cost of a restomod/ restoration to be 2-3x what you budget

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Buy one that's built the way you want, the first two days at any Mecum auction are the cars people have not done the big money restomod to, which is Old body, new underpinnings, frame, suspension, engine and trans, interior, basically a brand new car under it.

Or a classic car dealer can help, you do want to get it up on a lift, get someone that knows the genre to go help you look, see if there is a classic nova club in your area/state, go meet up with them, they can teach you what to look for, might even have a club member with a good one up for sale.

Those are cool cars, and you don't need the latest LS swap 8 speed electronic trans to make it good. And a great thing is if you do want to LS it, it's not as expensive to do relative to other mods

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Expect the build cost of a restomod/ restoration to be 2-3x what you budget

That, and you won't find parts down at your local NAPA.

Ordering and waiting for things can be a PITA and cost can be high, but it's a lot of fun working on them. My truck (2012)? Anything beyond lube/oil/filters and it goes into the shop. I don't even try because I wouldn't know where to start. The 68, though, I can fix most anything on it with basic tools. Heater core is my next project. Should be a good time. When you can open the hood, look down, and see the ground, it's a good thing. Wink

Posts: 20130 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
That, and you won't find parts down at your local NAPA.

Depends, if you put an LS in you'll be able to get some parts, as long as you keep the engine stock to mild like fuel pumps, pulley, belts, alternators, power steering pumps etc.

Keep it a stock Chevy 350 and you'll be able to get just about any part you want. And you can swap an LS to a carb with a manifold change and run it with just a box for the ignition from Holley or any of the many boxes out there, can even run the EFI with a simple plug n play harness.

The aftermarket has made big efforts in making these upgraded engine swaps fairly painless, some will even run the electronic transmissions if you want to put in a 5-6 speed, you won't need all the crazy harness splicing etc.

LS the World is the new mantra LOL

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of great hotrods and classics for sale in the $30-50K range. For that money, you should be able to get a solid car, even with complete body and paint being done.

Unless you're looking for the rare stuff (59 Impala convertible for example), there are a lot of Impalas, Malibus, Ford Falcons, Mustangs, etc.

Buy a car that is done. The seller likely will have spent more to get it on the road. And if you're not into heavy wrenching, buy a turn key hotrod.

P229

Posts: 3845 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I finally survived my own fascination with the fantasy realm of exhaust sounds & various fluid leaks. After my Bug & low end sports car craze, I preferred the heavy metal of survivor stock 40s/50s/early 60s Cads & Buicks.

They too became too rare & precious to buy for a decent price for decent condition.

I now prefer to pay the banker for newer vehicle loan than the mechanic/tow truck for mediation of those old memories.

Good luck with your dreams.

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. "IF" and a big if. I were to do something like this it would be that. Buy one already done like several of you have mentioned. Thanks for the link Smlsig. That 1968 El Camino is pretty sweet. I know not perfect. But a beautiful SS. The 327 is one of the engines I am interested in also. Bummer no pix of it.

Probably the two Chevs that most interest me at this point would be the first Nova series and the first El Camino series.
Guessing the Camaro and Chevelle will be significantly more $.
So should the GTO Eek