SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2018 Mustang Ecoboost. SigForum Auto Enthusiasts Please Chime In
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018 Mustang Ecoboost. SigForum Auto Enthusiasts Please Chime In Login/Join 
posted
I test drove the a 2018 ecoboost stanger. It was impressive as hell. It seems way faster in the twisties compared to the GT V8 model. Not as fast in the quarter mile but way more nimble. My concern is that pumping 300+ HP into an inline 4 may have a limited life. Is this a valid concern?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bytes,

Posts: 7578 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think ford would warranty it if it wasn't durable. Plus lots of 4 cylinder WRX STI and Lancer Evolutions have been making 300 hp for many years now. I wouldn't sweat it. But I can't imagine buying a non V8 mustang.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems way faster in the twisties compared to the GT V8 model.
Lighter engine = lighter weight over the front wheels = better weight distribution = better handling.

quote:
My concern is that pumping 300+ HP into an inline 4 may have a limited life. Is this a valid concern?
On the surface, I'm not thrilled with it either. But that engine has been around for a few years, the V6 twin-turbo trucks have been around even longer, and they don't seem to be blowing up. Remember, you don't have to "pump that 300 hp into it" all the time. Razz And change the oil regularly, no longer than the factory recommendations and using synthetic oil.

Posts: 28047 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
High output four cylinders are the norm now. BMW, MB, etc. also look at the engine life on eco boost Ford trucks. If you like the four I wouldn’t worry.

Now if you like a v8 you may want to consider that option. Take a look at how few cars have a v8 now.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a Fox body build with a new Ecoboost I4 (modern day SVO) would be a hoot.

Those engines are gettting up to 650 HP, I would not be worried about their ability to handle 300 out of the factory.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore: On the surface, I'm not thrilled with it either.

Same here. Reading of the Eco4 in crew cab pickup trucks was a head scratcher. But the engineers are making it work. Several forum members have that truck and report good performance for the way they use it.

My current truck is evidently the last small block L20 V8 model year. A 2023 Lariat is next in my roster. I'm sure it will be a small high-tech engine with an 8-speed automatic.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Remember, you don't have to "pump that 300 hp into it" all the time. Razz

Actually I do "need" to run it at the max all the time Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I'm a Porsche guy but I've always loved the looks of the new Mustangs. They fit this old mans body much better. I'm just a sucker for fun and comfortable cars. The ecoboost platform is very appealing to me.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Does ford offer the turbo four with a manual? That configuration would be pretty darn fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21140 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Does ford offer the turbo four with a manual? That configuration actually would be pretty fun.

Yes, six speed manual. The one I test drove had the 10 speed automatic with paddle shifters. I would be hard pressed to be faster with the manual over the auto. The new autos are very impressive.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s not about being faster to me, it’s about how much more fun a manual is to drive. Manuals can make even the most boring cars more fun to drive. It’s nice to see Ford still gives people options.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21140 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It’s not about being faster to me, it’s about how much more fun a manual is to drive. Manuals can make even the most boring cars more fun to drive.

Totally agree. When driving peddle to the metal I'll take a manual every day of the week. They're just fun. If I want to be fast (for me) at the track or driving to and from work I'll take an auto.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I flew to South Dakota last Spring for the graduation of a young friend. Hertz at Sioux Falls, gave me a bright red Mustang convertible and I was thrilled!

I immediately put the top down and headed North from the airport. The car was such fun to drive and it sure turned heads and ears.

I drove my friend's mother to an end of school party and some of her friends came out and took pictures of the car. They were that impressed.

When I woke up the first morning, I again put the top down and just headed East on a state rd. After a bit, I turned around and headed back to the hotel. I just wanted to be in the car as much as possible.

It was peppy to say the least, had a great exhaust sound and was just fun to drive. Imagine my thrill as I was heading down an interstate with an 80mph limit and Mustang Sally playing on Sirius.

I have been a car guy for years, but never had a convertible. I had a hard time turning it back in to Hertz.

Posts: 5631 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the four-cylinder engine will hold up, but I think you would regret not getting the v-8. That Mustang sound is unbeatable in my opinion. Good problem to have so enjoy whichever way you decide.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I am generally not a proponent of a 4 cylinder in a Mustang, but it certainly makes the car more affordable and still have performance. They have worked this motor, and ecoboost's in general, for years. Go for it, if you like it.

2018 MUSTANG 2.3L ECOBOOST ENGINE

The Mustang EcoBoost models receive a revised version of the 2.3L four-cylinder EcoBoost engine that puts out additional torque than the previous model year. With 310 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque, the EcoBoost Mustang is certainly no slouch and will easily outrun pre-2011 Mustang GTs down the dragstrip. New for 2018, the twin-scroll turbo-fed 2.3L four cylinder features an overboost feature for the increased torque output delivering a broad, flat torque curve throughout the power band. With over 20 PSI of boost pressure available out of this engine from the factory, you’ll have plenty of power whether you prefer the autocross course, the occasional fun backroad, or just like cruising to the local car show.

One distinguishable fact about the Mustang’s 2.3L EcoBoost engine is the integrated exhaust manifold which places the turbocharger closer to the exhaust valves for quicker responsiveness throughout acceleration. Rather than having an exhaust manifold that dumps all four exhaust primaries into the turbocharger, Ford has integrated the turbo into the exhaust manifold. By reducing the distance between the exhaust exiting the engine and the exhaust side of the turbo, this reduces turbo lag greatly, making for a much more pleasurable driving experience.

One myth that may have some potential EcoBoost Mustang buyers out there hesitant about investing in the turbo-four option would be the reliability of a high-strung four-cylinder. Rest-assured Ford has put a ton of research & development into this engine and the platform it sits on. On top of that, the first version of this engine was used in Mustangs for three model years from 2015-2017 and a variation in the Focus RS. Many have taken 2015-2017 Mustang EcoBoosts deep into the 9-second quarter mile range with a host of aftermarket modifications. There’s no question that this 2.3L EcoBoost engine is stout, even in its stock form.

What does all of this mean? Well, the Mustang EcoBoost could be the perfect option for many people out there. Whether you are looking for a Mustang at a lower price point, want better gas mileage because it’ll be your daily driver or you’re looking for an all-in-one package that is efficient and makes more power than pre-2011 V8 Mustangs, then the 2018 Mustang EcoBoost may be the right choice for you!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3797 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for their input. I think I'm going to go for the I4 ecoboost platform with an auto transmission. The car will be my daily driver in stop and go traffic. Manual trannies don't work for me in stop and go scenarios. Now time to go find a good deal.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My DD is a 2017 Focus ST3. Leather Recaro seats, 2.0 liter EcoBoost, 6 speed manual transmission. I've put almost 11,000 miles on it driving around town in 8 months. It's been hoot every mile.

Unless your commute is bumper to bumper traffic, I think you're making a mistake getting the automatic. I'd at least drive one before I made up my mind. I've driven both automatic and manual 2018 GTs and I'd pick the manual all day everyday.

Posts: 11070 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Unless your commute is bumper to bumper traffic, I think you're making a mistake getting the automatic. I'd at least drive one before I made up my mind. I've driven both automatic and manual 2018 GTs and I'd pick the manual all day everyday.

My commute is bumper to bumperFrown Not California bumper to bumper but still an issue with a manual transmission. I know because I currently own a Boxster S with a manual 6S tranny. Fun as hell on weekends but a PIA for my daily drive. I agree with the manual transmission choice but it would be a big issue for my situation. FYI, I am faster with modern automatics at the track. Probably due to my age factor (60 +)Frown

posted Hide Post
quote:
But I can't imagine buying a non V8 mustang

This by a factor of 100.
I'm sure the 4 will be fine in terms of durability. Its a very proven package (though it did have some issues in the RS). In addition Ford makes it possible to get factory warranty coverage for some really long term numbers. I'm an STI guy with lots of miles on the Subaru 4 turbo and actually have never worried about durability per se. Its hard to wear out motors with good maintenance and some sense of care about the turbo part of the motor.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11030 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have driven Ecoboost vehicles for the last 4-5 years, a Fusion with a 1.5, a F150 with the previous 3.5 & a 6 speed, a newer F150 with the newer 3.5 & 10 speed (we tow a camper... With NO problems) and an Escape w/auto 4wd & a 1.5. Have had absolutely no problems with any of them and are thoroughly impressed with the reliability, gas mileage and performance.

Just my .02, but it seems Ford has them pretty well dialed in!

Posts: 2553 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had a thorough test drive, bytes. I’m curious, did you note any turbo lag when you got on it?

Posts: 13314 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post