SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Detailed my Car (Large-ish pictures)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Detailed my Car (Large-ish pictures) Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
We keep three cars. One for each of me and my wife, and a third car that serves as my commuter vehicle.

Late last year, my wife got a new Volvo and so her 2014 BMW X3 got pushed down as my commuter car and I sold my Subaru as a private sale to take advantage of the hot used car market. Economical Japanese cars are doing exceptionally well.

Anyway, her BMW was perpetually dirty because it's a black car. It was her first car (not having needed one when she lived in SF and NY), so she didn't know better to not buy a black car. Lots of dings, scratches, and a general patina of neglected paint. I kept a coat of Jet Seal on it as best I could, but my wife really didn't care if the car was covered in bird poop.

Anyway, now that it's "my" car, it needed a little TLC. Started off with a wash, then claybar, then a 4 stage polish on the hood (2 stage on the sides), wipe down with IPA solution, then ceramic coat with Adam's Graphene Ceramic. I restored the headlights and plastic trim with Cerakote.

The front bumper had actual damage from hitting the garage one or two times, so I hit it with a little bondo, a couple layers of primer, paint and clear. It's not perfect (hell, it's not even good), but it was good practice and I'll likely respray it again. I also replaced a cracked foglight.

There are dings and dents, but all in all, the car looks really good for my first attempt at ceramic and paint correction (I think). Was hoping to get some practice in before I worked on my own car and my wife's new car, and this served that purpose well.

After wash and clay, we can see the amount of swirling, hazing, scratches, and pitting:

MANY hours of machine polishing later.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
A clean and polished black always looks good - for the first day or two.

My wife has a black two door Accord. There is something mentally satisfying though when making it looks shiny again.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14045 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, congrats!

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I admire your innovative solutions that created a very nice commuter car.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5090 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Nice job.

BTW thanks for rubbing it in that you could do this outside. Yesterday I went to a car wash to get the road salt off my car. Would have washed it at home but the 30ish temps prevented that.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Nice job. I'm tired from looking at it and thinking the work involved.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19734 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I had a black car, once.
That was enough for me. Looked great right after being washed and waxed.

Posts: 9564 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks fantastic, you probably saved $500 by doing it yourself.

Posts: 429 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
That looks great! My current BMW is black and my detail guy spent 14 hrs on paint correction. The old lady who owned it for a year and a half parked it outside and only put 3800 miles on it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8034 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:

Full car ceramic coatings are pretty pricey. $2000-3000 is not uncommon. No saying my job is pro grade, but the basic steps (and thus labor costs) are similar.

The ceramic coating I used is pretty durable. I messed up on a panel and left "high spots" where the thickness of the coating was uneven. Imperceptible to touch, but you could see that it was a little darker, like wet paint. Had to use the machine polisher to take the ceramic back down to the paint, actually tougher/more durable than the paint itself. Took two rounds with polish to remove the ceramic.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Huge improvement.

If everything goes well (knock on wood), this year I'll just need to use a cleanser polish which is very mild, but should take off the ceramic sealant, any love marks, and leave it glossy. Should be a lot less work than last year's spot correcting with Sonax Cut Max and following up with Sonax perfect finish on the entire truck.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23354 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Looks good. I never messed with ceramic s the flash time is just too quick for this guy.

I had a black Mercedes. I loved that car and I spent a ridiculous amount of time keeping it perfect. Here is the paint. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:

Uh, more like $3,500-4,000. Even more depending on the type of ceramic coat. Heck, even a crappy bumper repair is $1,500 around here. Probably $3,000 just because it says BMW on it.

I had a quote for $5,500 to ceramic coat my truck when it was new. That was for no paint correction. I passed and have regretted it every single year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Looks good. I never messed with ceramic s the flash time is just too quick for this guy.

It's not bad, just tedious. Literally working in a 20" square, watching it flash, level, buff, repeat like 4 dozen times.

One mistake I made was not recognizing that as you level and buff you are pushing product onto surrounding areas. You have to wipe that off before it sets, otherwise you end up with high spots on adjacent panels/sections.

Also, you need super bright lights to really do a good job. I did everything in my garage which I believed to have enough lights with a bunch of LED lights. Moved the car out into the sun and saw a bunch of swirls around the door handles that I could have easily removed had I noticed them, and of course the high spots that had set. Couldn't see them in the garage, but plain as day in the sun if you knew what to look for.

I've got two more SUVs to do, so I'm looking into getting big bright lights.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I've got two more SUVs to do, so I'm looking into getting big bright lights.
For polishing and coating, having a good swirl finder light is handy and it shows more than the sun. I have this one.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23354 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My smallish bmw x2 was $2k for the paint correction and ceramic coating. They did the wheels and brake calipers too. And tinted the front two windows and windshield. My guy gave me a discount because I paid cash and was willing to wait a week for them to work on it. They also popped out a dent for me.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8034 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Had I done that work I would be proud as a peacock over your results.

The bumper looks fantastic.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:

They did the wheels and brake calipers too.

I regret not doing a wheels off detailing. The wheel wells are graying and stick out like a sore thumb against the now black lower plastic trims. I'm going to have to go back in there with something to clean and restore the black. I've got Chemical Guys VRP and their Barebones Undercarriage Protectant on hand, but if I had the wheels off, I would have reserved some Cerakote trim coat for the wheel wells.

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I bought a new X7.
Never washed it and owned it for about 3 weeks.
It was $2000 for paint correction and full Kenzo Ceramic
The dealer had buffed it and made a mess of the paint i guess.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5138 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
The dealer had buffed it and made a mess of the paint i guess.

I keep a sheet of red cardstock with big bold writing that says "DO NOT WASH" on it in the glove box.

I put it on the dash every time my car goes to the dealership.

The courtesy wash at the dealership comes with complimentary swirl marks.