SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Digital TV indoor antenna 101, please help me
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital TV indoor antenna 101, please help me Login/Join 
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I have two Clearstream Eclipse antennas from Antenna Direct. Each is connected to a separate TV not connected to cable. The reception in my house and area is very poor because of the hills and the trees. These two antennas work extremely well.

using my iPad, I'm having a problem trying to connect the link

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 869 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Just going to add a comment about the antenna.
I question the usefulness of a small, flat antenna even with an amplifier.

Just as in Wi-Fi the positioning of the antenna vs the broadcast signal is important.

If the towers are farther away then more surface area to pickup the signal is required.

An amplifier will help only to boost an existing signal reception.
It is designed to boost (gain) to either multiple outlets or for a long run to the outlet.
But you have to have a decent signal first or you will just amplify the noise as well as whatever signal you have (S/N Ratio)> it does not help.

Also UHF antennas (if that is what the station uses and most do) are more round and VHF Band stations use a long element and even longer for Low-VHF.
It makes for an easier better looking installation if only UHF as their size is more compliant with the task.

So there are variables.

It is why some can just use simple coat hanger connected to a RF adaptor or those cheap flat antennas and some need a real antenna and think through the solution.

Most do not want to go through a complex though process to solve the problem and will simply try something - who knows, it may work.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^ In a city I don't think it should really matter much. I'm 30 miles away from the broadcast towers and I get excellent reception using a dual band antenna with UHF and VHF antennas (ClearStream 2Max that bald1 mentioned on pg 1). I can't imagine any where in BA is 30mi away from towers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my current house I have 4 TVs working on antennae. Also, 2 of those 4 have streaming, so no cable required. One bedroom TV uses a flat plastic antenna with a small in-line amp, that I got at a thrift store. I have it hanging in the window, inside the blinds. The den TV uses an old Archer (Radio Shack) rabbit ear and loop shelf-mounted antenna that belonged to my late in-laws. Another bedroom TV uses an old FM flexible wire antenna that I had, spliced into a cable connector and mounted to the wall behind the TV, in a T-shape. The final TV, in the man-cave, uses a rabbit ear antenna from an AC/DC TV I still have (going to put on the workbench soon), going through a digital-to-analog convertor, since it is an old-school tube TV. I'll get a newer digital flat screen TV down there later this fall, probably when "Black Friday" sales start up, so I'll need to get an antenna for it.

I can get about 40 channels (give or take) on any of these TVs, using theses various antennae. Some TV / antenna combos get certain channels better than others, but I have enough variety that I am satisfied. One OTA channel I really like is called "Story", and it is like the old "History Channel", with "Modern Marvels", "Biography", "Year By Year", etc.

Posts: 491 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Just going to add a comment about the antenna.
I question the usefulness of a small, flat antenna even with an amplifier.
We've got 'em on three of the five TVs in the house, as backup should something to awry with the whole-house networked system.

Sure: They don't get all the stations the rooftop Yagi antenna gets, but, they get most of them--particularly the one in the corner of the room that's in the corner of the home facing most of the broadcast station towers in the area.

quote:
Just as in Wi-Fi the positioning of the antenna vs the broadcast signal is important.
True, depending upon signal strength.

quote:
An amplifier will help only to boost an existing signal reception.
That's mostly, but, not entirely the whole story. Low-noise amps (LNAs), the closer to the antenna the better, can slightly improve overall system Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR), but, they can do only so much.

quote:
Also UHF antennas (if that is what the station uses and most do)
That's still true in the U.S., but, not as true as it was before the last UHF repack. The U.S. UHF band was cut back some more and some stations went back to VHF-High (channels 7-13, actual). A couple or so in some markets even went back to VHF-Low )channels 2-6, actual).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post