SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kicking around the idea of picking up a Lexus LS430 and Supercharging it.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kicking around the idea of picking up a Lexus LS430 and Supercharging it. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Found a 2006 Lexus LS430 with 99k miles. Looks to be in great shape. Carfax shows standard maintenance, no collisions, two owners, and no inconsistency in mileage.

Looks super clean. It’s a sport model Silver on grey interior. I wish the interior was black but Katskinz can help with that.

No indication the timing belt has been done so that will be first things first.
Along with ceramic tint, Coilovers, muffler delete, and a Grom VLine to add Apple CarPlay to the factory system.

After that gets all settled in on to the supercharger. It’s a fairly simple bolt on Harrop supercharger setup with a very good remapped ECU readily available.
Some folks are modifying the Eaton M112 from the 03/04 Mustang Cobras but think the Harrop is a better option.
https://elatemfg.com/product/e...ed-supercharger-kit/

Sounds pretty good with a simple muffler delete. Nothing obnoxious just wakes it up a little and has a nice low rumble to compliment the blower whine.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25481 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Found a 2006 Lexus LS430 with 99k miles.
Definitely. Cars with a 100K on the odometer are primo investments. The only better way to use your money would be to dump it in a 55 gallon drum, pour gasoline on it and drop in a lit match.

Posts: 107867 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Never gonna get that Mustang done if you keep playing with other cars!

Sounds like an interesting plan, although it sound like supercharging a 99K mile engine would be a bit risky, especially one where you don't know anything personally about the engine.

Posts: 23650 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe use that money to buy a new transmission or torque converter. Just a suggestion.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3554 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On YouTube, there is a guy called the Car Nut. He owns a shop that specializes in Toyotas and Lexus models.

He has lots of videos on repairing these vehicles. He had a series of videos where he took an LX430 (it may have been an LX400, I can't remember the actual variant), and completely restored it. I recall the vehicle had something like 500K miles on it, or some really high figure. This video might give you some hints on what to look for that might need some repair, and will give you an idea of the costs. He did not add a supercharger, though.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Found a 2006 Lexus LS430 with 99k miles.
Definitely. Cars with a 100K on the odometer are primo investments. The only better way to use your money would be to dump it in a 55 gallon drum, pour gasoline on it and drop in a lit match.

These vehicles are likely the most reliable vehicle ever made.
So many out there with 300k+ on not much more than oil changes and timing belts.

I’d put this car up against pretty much any American vehicle with 50k miles and half its age.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Never gonna get that Mustang done if you keep playing with other cars!

Sounds like an interesting plan, although it sound like supercharging a 99K mile engine would be a bit risky, especially one where you don't know anything personally about the engine.

99k is not even begun to be broken in on 3UZ motor. 6lbs of boost will be nothing for it.

quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Maybe use that money to buy a new transmission or torque converter. Just a suggestion.

Already have that money just trying to figure out the best route. Plus with this vehicle I’ll get rid of one of my others and put about $10k in my pocket.

quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
On YouTube, there is a guy called the Car Nut. He owns a shop that specializes in Toyotas and Lexus models.

He has lots of videos on repairing these vehicles. He had a series of videos where he took an LX430 (it may have been an LX400, I can't remember the actual variant), and completely restored it. I recall the vehicle had something like 500K miles on it, or some really high figure. This video might give you some hints on what to look for that might need some repair, and will give you an idea of the costs. He did not add a supercharger, though.

His is an older 2001 430 with 630k miles.

My biggest hold up is space with 3 boys. Though if it’s all 5 of us we almost always take the wife’s mobile.

————————————————

Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The Car Care Nut, mentioned above, says that engine is one of the best ever made by Toyota. They are solid cars.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10502 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You don't need to justify your automobile fetish, but there are far, far better ways to use that money.

Are you a wealthy man?

Posts: 107867 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't need to justify your automobile fetish, but there are far, far better ways to use that money.

Are you a wealthy man?

Arguably better ways for sure. But would be getting rid of a vehicle with a bit more mileage but valued more.

Wealthy probably not, comfortable yes.
Hence the reason I am looking at a $10k vehicle to be my daily driver and getting rid of a more expensive one with higher mileage.

————————————————

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have a 2003 LS430 that's about to turn 200000 miles.The car is bullet proof. Other than it needing its second timing belt install.

There are 3 trim packages for the LS430.
The Ultra luxury package that has the rear A/C, rear refrigerator, and air suspension, double pain glass, auto closure on the doors and trunk lid,and the radar speed control, and a $18000 up charge when the car was new.
Then there is the Custom Luxury package, has most of the items on the Ultra list but no rear A/C or refrigerator, and NO AIR suspension. I purposely choose this package because I did not want to deal with air suspension problems.
Then there is the Base unit.
I read that the engine that is used in the LS400 and early 430's was a race engine that is also qualified as a aircraft engine, way over built but will go hundreds of thousands of miles.
Good luck with your project.

Posts: 4649 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had kicked around the same thoughts a few years ago with a SC430, but I missed the depreciation curve, the nice ones have doubled the last couple years.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 325 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am looking at the ML Sport I believe is the designation.
The lowest trim but sport wheels and suspension (not air).
I don’t want all the gizmos of the CL and UL specifically the soft close doors and air ride.

Yes, these things are going up in price as of late especially if it has under 200k miles.

————————————————

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Not like I'm one to talk as I have several cars...but don't you also have a 68 GTO?

Maybe finish the other 2 before starting a new project? Razz

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Never thought of supercharging a Lexus. I’d buy a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic and supercharge that. It worked out well for Cletus McFarland.

Posts: 4146 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t want all the gizmos of the CL and UL specifically the soft close doors and air ride.

Yes, these things are going up in price as of late especially if it has under 200k miles.

The Custom Luxury (CL trim package) does NOT have the Air suspension. I have never had an issue with the soft close doors or trunk lid.
The dbl laminated window glass is super tough (available with the CL and UL packages). My car was vandalized once but the offender was unable to bust out any windows other than the windshield when they tried to bust everything with a steel fence post. I saved a scratched side window that I wanted to but never tried to subject to firearms rounds to see how the dbl glass held up.

Posts: 4649 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are you a wealthy man?

You want to talk about good ways to waste money I'm about to spend $50k on a Toyota Corolla Eek

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20889 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
My motto has always been if you want it and you can afford it, buy it. It doesn't always have to be 100% practical. Only you know your finances. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5919 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Not like I'm one to talk as I have several cars...but don't you also have a 68 GTO?

Maybe finish the other 2 before starting a new project? Razz

You’re not exactly wrong. Though my GTO is a 1969.
The issue with that is I buy the Lexus and I am rolling in enjoyment instantly. Yes, I would take $200 for the timing belt and water pump kit and the following weekend to install that (unless me seeing it in person leads to evidence the timing belt has actually been replaced).

Then another weekend to do the suspension and the GROM.
I am rolling in sweet sweet luxury.

However for the Mustang I would likely have to take 3 months of work and I might have it back up and running in factory form and possibly with the motor swapped and read for dyno tuning and that would still be a HUGE maybe.

As for the GTO I am guessing the same time frame if not longer but I have zero parts necessary compared to the Mustang that I would say I have 85% of everything I need to complete it.

With 3 boys there is just no chance of getting those up and running soon.

I have not had an fun spirited car since I sold my Audi A4 Avant 15 or 16 years ago and when Insold my Mustang GT to a fellow Sigforum member in 2010 (I forget his name on here. However I don’t think he has been on in a very long time).
I have driven an SUV or truck since then. I am really really missing driving a fun car.

I bought and built my truck to off road. I have gotten to do that 3 times in the last three years and unfortunately life is only getting busier.
I spend my time off work driving these kids to and from soccer, basketball, and swimming which Inlove but doing it in a lifted truck that gets 11 mpg is not as enjoyable knowing in reality knowing I won’t be off-roading anytime soon.

quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
Never thought of supercharging a Lexus. I’d buy a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic and supercharge that. It worked out well for Cletus McFarland.

I have so many hours and hundreds of thousands of miles behind the wheel of a Crown Victoria under my belt that is not even a thought. Marauders are crazy expensive in good shape.
This Lexus would whip a Marauder without question and live 300+ thousand miles longer for cheaper.

quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:

The Custom Luxury (CL trim package) does NOT have the Air suspension. I have never had an issue with the soft close doors or trunk lid.
The dbl laminated window glass is super tough (available with the CL and UL packages). My car was vandalized once but the offender was unable to bust out any windows other than the windshield when they tried to bust everything with a steel fence post. I saved a scratched side window that I wanted to but never tried to subject to firearms rounds to see how the dbl glass held up.

So I have 3 boys under 10, I want nothing to do with soft close doors and trunk.
When I was a little kid my grandmother had a 1983 Cadillac Seville (what an amazing car) and it had a soft close trunk. I was a kid and had no idea about the soft close trunk. Man, that sound when I slammed the trunk (not maliciously but just being a little kid trying to close that heavy mass of steel trunk lid) and knowing I broke that thing. Thankfully granny was sweet and did not seem phased at all.
But for that reason alone soft close is not for me.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I wasn't sure what specific car was an LS430 so I looked it up. What makes you think they are going up in value? My google search found half a dozen within driving distance under 100k miles and under 10 grand. Nice looking one in Gainesville, 84k miles and 9k on the price.

This seems like a fun project but won't adding a supercharger make it much more likely to have mechanical issues? If only because it is one more thing (and not Lexus bulletproof) to go wrong.

Sounds like an impractical project but I hope you provide pictures because it could be fun to watch vicariously.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Actually test drove a 2007 SC430 today. It has been sitting on a used car lot that I drive past for at least 2 months.

It drove just OK. It was Silver, not my first choice. The clear coat on the right fender was peeling and the hood appeared to have been repainted.

120,000 miles, it had a sticker that indicated the timing belt had been done at 112,000. 3 run flats and one mismatched.

Also had a tire pressure warning light, probably a dead sensor battery. But it also had a "VSC OFF" and Traction Light, maybe an ABS issue.

The guy was pretty up front about the car, he was asking $12,800. Didn't even discuss a price, but with some of the issues, I would have offered 9 or 10 tops.

Posts: 1358 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post