SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone remember Tepe's catalog and warehouse stores?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone remember Tepe's catalog and warehouse stores? Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
The city I grew up in had a Tepe's Catalog Warehouse Store. You would receive a catalog a few times a year. You could go to the store and they had a sample each of the most popular items. You could see it, handle it, measure it, etc., buy you had to order it from the catalog and it would arrive a week or so later. The warehouse at the store was only for holding items that had been ordered and were waiting for pick up, no inventory on site.

Anyone remember these?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
No, what city did you grow up in? It may have been a regional thing...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8887 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I never heard of those. In the neighboring city there was a Service Merchandise store. You took a little order form around the store and selected what you wanted. Then you turned the form in and they brought your selections to the counter from the warehouse area.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It might have just been a chain in Michigan. You could order direct in the store, but you had to wait for them to call and let you know when to come pick it up.

I want to say the one I remember closed in the early 1980's

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
In NJ se had something similar.
It was Best and company. They had a showroom on the first floor and storage on the second floor.
You looked at the sample on display then filled out a form, paid for the item then went to the pick up area to retrieve your item.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, I forgot it was E.H.Tepe Co. We just called it Tepe's. Apparently an Indiana & Michigan thing

https://www.worthpoint.com/wor...g-1982-83-1850543274

343 - Never Forget

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Obituary for the founder, Elmer H Tepe

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Here in Virginia they had Best Products catalog showrooms. I worked there for a little while right out of High School. They had about 170 stores across the country at one time I believe. I think Wal-Mart pretty much ran these kind of stores out of business.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Yes, I remember. Shopped there when one was in Marion,IN.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Yep. I purchased my first Seiko quartz watch at one. Seiko Sport 100 chronograph. I still have it and it runs great.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There was a Service Merchandise nearby when we first moved here in 1986. They disappeared and the location was taken over by Luria's, also a catalog type store, that went belly up in 1997.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have lived in SE Michigan all 72 years of my life and never heard of them.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
They were very much like Service Merchandise.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
Yes I remember there was one in Elkhart, Indiana. Actually went there quite often. If I remember they supposedly sold jewelry at just above wholesale.

Posts: 257 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
We had a like business called Dahlkempers.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. We had one in Elkhart,IN. I had several classmates that worked there part time.

Posts: 89 | Location: Elkhart,IN USA | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Never heard of Tepe's but like others here we had a Service Merchandise where I grew up.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Never heard of Tepe's but like others here we had a Service Merchandise where I grew up.

If I remember right…when Tepes in Elkhart went out of business it became a Service Merchandise.

Posts: 257 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Service Merchandise at least had a "showroom" setup where you could see and handle the stuff.

Consumers was the other catalog store we had, I never liked that one. The place was more reminiscent of the DMV than a store.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post