SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wreck of USS Stewart Discovered Off Coast of California
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wreck of USS Stewart Discovered Off Coast of California Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
USS Stewart (DD-224) was a Clemson-class destroyer in the United States Navy during World War II. She was the second ship named for Rear Admiral Charles Stewart. The ship was captured by the Japanese Army and commissioned in the Japanese Navy.

Interesting story. This ship should have been a museum.

Laid down in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in September 1919 and commissioned in September 1920, the Stewart was completed too late to see action in World War I but found itself on the front lines at the start of World War II. In 1941, the Stewart was stationed in Manilla as part of the US Navy’s Asiatic Fleet, an under strength collection of old, largely obsolete warships tasked with opposing Imperial Japan’s onslaught after its devastating attack on Pearl Harbor.

The Stewart was damaged during combat in February 1942, and a freak accident trapped it in a repair drydock on Java where its crew was forced to abandon it as enemy forces prepared to seize the island. Raised and repaired a year later, the Stewart was pressed into service with the Imperial Japanese Navy as Patrol Boat No.102. Soon, far-ranging Allied pilots began reporting the strange sight of an old American destroyer operating deep behind enemy lines. It was not until the Stewart was found afloat in Kure, Japan at the end of the war that the mystery of the Pacific ghost ship was finally solved.

The battered veteran vessel was recommissioned back into the US Navy in what was called an “emotional ceremony” and towed home to San Francisco. There, something like a “burial at sea” was performed: the Stewart served its country one last time as a target ship, absorbing fire from aerial rockets, machine gun, and naval guns for more than two hours before sinking. In the following decades, the Stewart’s story drew the interest of historians, archaeologists, and naval enthusiasts, and the rediscovery of its wreck became a top national priority for exploration. More than 78 years would pass before it was found.

Initial story here.

Link to detail which is included above here.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6904 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Very interesting history! Thanks!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39334 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff, I could watch the videos all day, they have some very good stuff on wrecks they have found, Shackleton's Endurance discovery is really cool Link Endurance

Theres the USS Nevada, SS Blody Marsh and others

Link Projects

Posts: 24398 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I think that was the first US Navy ship captured by an enemy force since the War of 1812. . .

Interesting history. Glad they found her.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21936 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

...It was not until the Stewart was found afloat in Kure, Japan at the end of the war that the mystery of the Pacific ghost ship was finally solved.

Kure is on western Honshu Island just a little south of Hiroshima. I was assigned there from 1989-93 as an Army civilian at the Akizuki Ammo Depot. Depot hqs was on the water in between the IHI ship yard (that built the Yamato, among many other ships) and a Japanese Navy base.

Kure was a major Japanese Navy base during WWII, across the bay in Eta Jima was/is their naval academy.

Posts: 16033 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
USS Stewart (DD-224)

doesnt look like Navsource allows deep linking Frown

USS Stewart 224

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3667 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post