SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two Factor Authentication - Milconnect Assistance Needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Factor Authentication - Milconnect Assistance Needed Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted
I am retired military. I had to set up my Miconnect login with two factor authentication. When I did so it gave me a list of apps from which to choose. I couldn't care less which app as I just need access the rest of my life. I chose Authy Desktop. It works perfectly. HOWEVER, I can now only log into my Milconnect account on that particular desktop.

When I try to log in elsewhere, I get the message to enter the 6 digit code from my authenticator app. I tried setting up the app on my laptop however there doesn't appear to be a way to connect the two to one another. How do I arrange it so I can log in to a website which requires two-factor authentication, on my desktop, laptop, tablet and phone.

I hope that makes sense to those of you "in the know". I always seem to get my best computer adivice on Sigforum. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest setting it up on your phone. That's the authentication device I use to access the stuff I need to use 2FA for whether it's on my phone or various computers as I always have my phone nearby.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
You have to put the Authenticator Key into each app.

I use Bitwarden for cross device authentication.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It may help to understand how most 2FA works, which is upon the principle of "something your know" (1st factor) and "something you have" (2nd factor).

The first factor is usually a set of login credentials (e.g.: username or email address, and password or pass phrase).

The second factor can be many things, but, one of the easiest things is a device in your possession to which you, and only you have access, and that access is "reasonably" secure. A smart phone can fill that role nicely, in conjunction with text messaging (which is not secure, btw) or, better yet, a dedicated secure app.

As you have found, Tomkat, a desktop isn't a very good choice because, while it may fulfill the "something you have" in principle, it's not terribly convenient to always have with you Smile. I'd argue a laptop isn't much better.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i use id.me for deers, ss + a few other gov sites.

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
i use id.me for deers, ss + a few other gov sites.

This is what I use.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good to see you, Tomkat

Posts: 107481 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Good to see you, Tomkat

Sorry I missed this. Likewise my old friend. I hope you are doing well.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post