SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Full auto highway stop by Utah PD
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Full auto highway stop by Utah PD Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Once the MP5 was used, the perp was chased by about 20 squad cars. So I suspect that they had the highway closed off in at least one direction. I like that cop that was shot at was given the chance to do the final stop.

"For nine miles, deputies followed Gallemore-Jimenez and blocked other civilians from the pursuit. Ultimately, the deputy who was shot at passed the others, pulled off at the University Parkway exit with a Utah Valley University officer and waited with an automatic weapon for Gallemore-Jimenez to pass him."

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Anyone deserving to be shot once, deserves to be shot all at once.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Sort of a Bonnie & Clyde ending.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Would have been better if the officer had opened up with a BAR, like the Bonnie and Clyde ambush.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yeah the sweep and follow of the passing car was a bit cringe worthy.

Not surprised someone else was hit in the initial incident, he's looong gone and the rounds keep flying. Honestly I'd been more surprise if someone WASN'T hit. But it's understandable when the adrenaline it pumping you're not thinking right.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
What I don't understand is that if they were concerned enough to have five units at the initial stop, why didn't they box him in? I do understand cross-fire concerns, and it's safer to be behind the stopped vehicle than in front; but with that much show of force it seems if a unit or two had pulled in front and to the side he would have been much less likely to try to flee.

I'm not being critical, but sincerely asking why not flank or surround him with units?

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Would have been better if the officer had opened up with a BAR, like the Bonnie and Clyde ambush.

That isn't a Browning BAR, it is s Colt Monitor, a BAR-clone. The compensator gives it away.

http://www.smallarmsreview.com....cfm?idarticles=1929

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was reportedly a SWAT team member.

Thank you, that would make more sense.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Good friend and hunting partner of mine. I worked part-time for that agency before retiring and we were on the US Marshal's Fugitive Task Force together for over three years. As has been stated, he's on the SWAT team so they carry their equipment while on patrol. What he did worked and was pretty bad ass, but I think he'd like to have a do-over right from the beginning.

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
too bad the bad guy survived.

If they didn't have all of those damn cameras, that could have been changed (and it should have been). Don't waste my taxpayer's money bringing these shitheels to trial, just... take care of it...

Plus cost of appeals and incarceration. Not cheap.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

That isn't a Browning BAR, it is s Colt Monitor

I know. Still a BAR, though. Wink

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering about the perpetrator logic. Seeing the officer speed by, set up on the off ramp, and waiting for him, why in the world would he actually take that off ramp? It appears that the main highway continues to the left. Wouldn't you avoid the police on that off ramp?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
From the article:

"“We’re not going to allow the individual to get back into the public with his mindset," Tracy said, while explaining actions taken in the video."

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
way to go.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
From the article:

"“We’re not going to allow the individual to get back into the public with his mindset," Tracy said, while explaining actions taken in the video."

Admittedly, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet so maybe I'm not clear on what I've read. Was this whole thing kicked off because the guy shot a window out of his own truck?

I recognize that he's got plenty of record otherwise, but I feel like I've missed something this morning. Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The discharges at the final stop looked clean. Good control and delivery.

The discharges at the initial stop - not so much.

There is no doubt that when an officer is fired upon, the adrenaline factor kicks in and control becomes a real challenge.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was a spike strip not available? Or just PIT him once he's cleared the interstate?

Glad no innocent fatalities resulted from this, but I agree the officer probably has some regret as to how that was handled from the start.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please check your facts.

The bystander was hit by a handgun round during the initial traffic stop. He was pulled over to the side of the road 500 yards from the location of the shooting, and could not be seen from the officers' positions during the traffic stop.

He was not hit by a round from the MP5 at the end of the subsequent pursuit. All 27 rounds fired from the MP5 struck the perp and his vehicle.

Initial news reports stated two vehicles were hit.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post