SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Uncommon bourbon/spirits
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uncommon bourbon/spirits Login/Join 
posted
I have a family member who lives in the UK and is visiting the states later this year. I thought it might be fun to have some bourbon or scotch that isn’t readily available in the US. Does anybody have suggestions?

Posts: 899 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Eagle Rare

Seems to be readily available right now, not the norm

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Do you mean something that isn't available in the UK?

I can't even get a lot of the better bourbons here in the US, so I imagine they won't be readily available in the UK. See what you can find - Blanton's, Weller, etc. It may be hard even here.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I mean stuff not available in the US

Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
He means can anyone suggest a good Bourbon or Scotch that is not sold in the US that his friend can bring when he visits.

Like having someone pick up Cuban cigars when they visit another country where they are available

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
The bourbon distilleries here export a lot of their good stuff for top dollar. He may well have a better selection of it than I do, but likely more expensive.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I believe that Blanton's has several export only releases. There are many distillery releases sold in Scotland and Ireland. Look at the YT channel Whiskey Jason in Germany. I would like the Bud Spencer whiskey from Germany. The reviews are that it is 'okay'. I would like to drink that while watching his movies.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go Irish there's Redbreast and Quiet Man releases that don't make it to the states.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
I mean stuff not available in the US

Is there bourbon you can get in GB that we don't have here? I am sure that there are some bourbons made in GB, but that is an American style.

Now, there are certainly going to be some Scots or Irish whiskies he may be able to bring. I haven't seen Lagavulin 16 in a long time, so if he were my guest, I'd ask about that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For bourbon he might find Blanton's Gold or Straight From the Barrel. Perhaps an age stated Wild Turkey in a euro shop or at duty free. There might be an age stated Evan Williams bottle unavailable in the US.

With scotch you open an entire world of single cask offerings that are specific to stores. Maybe think about something you really enjoy and nosing around some of the bigger UK shops with an online presence and have your friend grab a bottle or three that sound good to you. I generally don't recommend specific bottles of scotch without knowing what people like because my likes tend to be things that some just can't drink. Masters of Malt, Whisky Exchange, Cadenheads shops, and more are options. They all seem to have quick delivery in the UK if you find something that isn't local to your friend.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
12 years ago, I gave my buddy a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20yr bourbon for his 50th birthday. Really great bourbon that cost around $145 per bottle then.

A little more pricey these days...

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12GA:
12 years ago, I gave my buddy a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20yr bourbon for his 50th birthday. Really great bourbon that cost around $145 per bottle then.

A little more pricey these days...

Pappy, as you probably know, is damn near unobtanium at any price.

Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
We use to drink it frequently back in the day. Wish I’d bought a case back then.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Pappy, as you probably know, is damn near unobtanium at any price.

It’s readily available if you’re willing to pay. Many people are willing to pay.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scotch is probably a much better choice for something not easily obtained. My friend waited almost a year for a bottle of Pappy. I’d much rather have Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scotch is probably a much better choice for something not easily obtained. My friend waited almost a year for a bottle of Pappy. I’d much rather have Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare.

there is not a bottle of any size of either of the above in the VA ABC system,

yet I know folks in the midwest and west coast that say the likker stores have stacks of Buff Trace,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Bourbon isn't a Bourbon unless it's made in America.

If he lives in the UK, why not have a good American Bourbon?

I'm sure he can get Scotch and Whiskey from "across the pond" that's hard or impossible to get here. But what are the chances he can get a Col Taylor, Barrel Bourbon, Eagle Rare, Weller, Willet... over there?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

there is not a bottle of any size of either of the above in the VA ABC system,

yet I know folks in the midwest and west coast that say the likker stores have stacks of Buff Trace,,

You mean the basic, $25 a bottle Buffalo Trace? Pretty readily available around here. Between the 3 BevMo’s within 20 minutes drive there are 81 bottles of that in stock.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
As mentioned previously the big ones that come to mind are the Blanton's variations or Wild Turkey Father and Son. My sister will be heading to the UK soon to visit with her in-laws and I was encouraged to see what I could find online, and possibly order it and have it shipped to my BIL's mom & dad's house and they can bring it back. I might be able to request the VAT back once the bottle is brought back into the US, but I would have to pay for it initially.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a fan of Eagle Rare, seems to be much more attainable now than it was. Don’t rule out a good Rye either

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post