SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Expected Mileage of Summer Max Performance tires?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Expected Mileage of Summer Max Performance tires? Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
You've had some great answers thus far.

Summer Performance Run Flat Tires.
1) no good in witner
2) usuully incredible handling,
3) lower treadwear due to softer composition rubber,
4) a little harsher ride,
5) can not do flat repair if you get a nail

I've driven on various brands thereof and right now the top dog is the Michelin Pilot.

Check Tire Rack for the exact tires on your possibly new car and you can see what most people average mileage-wise on that exact tire.

Posts: 3733 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]They are no bueno in temps below 40, so plan around that with second car or set of wheels. I don't mean just not great, I mean bad, and get exponentially worse once under 30.[/quote

^^^^^^ These are points to remember. Actually the wear curve increases as temps drop, and a polymer engineer I know told me that there is no sudden spike in the curve at 40 degrees, rather you might expect much faster wear at say 50 degrees than at 80, although you would have to do a lot of expensive testing to develop figures.

Personally I would not have run flats on any performance car, I don't know why for example, BMW puts them on. My CTS has the sport and handling package. The wheels are $$ pricey, so it did not seem a economic decision to buy an alternate set of wheels/tires for the cold days.

Letting the car set during colder (>40)days did not solve the problem. So I viewed the whole experience as an expensive learning experiment. I replaced them with Michelins which are plenty grippy, and probably better in the rain, if a bit noisy. It looks as though I will get about 20,000 out of them.

The Tire Rack guy I talked to said that it was a bad OEM decision to use Summer Max Tires on a daily driver, he says they are Track Day tires.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
[quote]They are no bueno in temps below 40, so plan around that with second car or set of wheels. I don't mean just not great, I mean bad, and get exponentially worse once under 30.[/quote

^^^^^^ These are points to remember. Actually the wear curve increases as temps drop, and a polymer engineer I know told me that there is no sudden spike in the curve at 40 degrees, rather you might expect much faster wear at say 50 degrees than at 80, although you would have to do a lot of expensive testing to develop figures.

Personally I would not have run flats on any performance car, I don't know why for example, BMW puts them on. My CTS has the sport and handling package. The wheels are $$ pricey, so it did not seem a economic decision to buy an alternate set of wheels/tires for the cold days.

Letting the car set during colder (>40)days did not solve the problem. So I viewed the whole experience as an expensive learning experiment. I replaced them with Michelins which are plenty grippy, and probably better in the rain, if a bit noisy. It looks as though I will get about 20,000 out of them.

The Tire Rack guy I talked to said that it was a bad OEM decision to use Summer Max Tires on a daily driver, he says they are Track Day tires.

The reason why BMW has run flat summer tires on their cars with the "sports package" option, is they can thus eliminate providing a spare tire and the weight thereof.

I've been running run flat summer tires on my BMW's since 2002. They are utterly fantastic in summer in both rain and dry conditions - much better than any all-season.

In winter/snow/ice they are horrible. Hence I have an extra set of wheels with winter tires.

Posts: 3733 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
For that car I'd go with the highest performance A/S tire I could get. The Michelin Pilot A/S noted earlier gave me great results on a G35.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Unless you drive someplace where you can't get cell service or a tow truck in a reasonable amount of time, ditch the run flats. Noisy, harsher ride, degraded handling compared to the same tires that aren't run flats.

I prefer the Michelin Super Sports, but to each his own. The Summer performance tires do wear faster than other tires, especially if you are a spirited driver.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post